Graduating in 3 or 3.5 Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15moel

Hello,
I will be transferring to a new school this fall as a second-year student. However, I have enough credits to be considered a Junior. It is possible for me to graduate in a total of 3 years and attend dental school immediately after graduation. This would require slightly more work and I would need to take 2 CLEP exams to get gen-eds out of the way. However, I could graduate this early while only having between 15-18 credits per semester and very few summer courses. It would be nice to get undergrad out of the way and get on with my life and career. I could also stretch it out and graduate in 3.5 years. I would then have half a year to relax before dental school. This would be a long period of time for me to sit around and wait for school to begin, but it might be nice to have a break. My GPA is in a good spot right now at about 3.94, if that makes any difference. I know that one argument against graduating early is the inability to develop strong extracurriculars. However, I have been running an organization for the past 5 years and am currently turning it into a non-profit. I believe that this will stand out as a strong EC. Do any of you have experience with this? What would you recommend? Would it work against me to begin dental school at the age of 21?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in three years and decided not to apply last year because I didn't think I was competitive enough with everyone else having an extra years worth of shadowing and ecs compared to me. I am currently in my "gap year" and am doing an MBA program because it will greatly help owing a practice in the future.

I think you should decide what will make you not only more competitive an applicant but also happier as a person!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users