Graduating in a month, considering options.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

void

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll most likely be graduating in the 3.45 range soon. I'm not applying for Medical School until next year. I haven't taken my MCAT yet, but when I do it will be with the utmost preparation.

I will be taking some summer courses to boost the GPA, and I am considering taking some courses next Fall as well. I don't want to do a Master's program, because that GPA will count separately.

Is it worth it to take more courses post-graduation for the GPA boost? I go to a private college which means that it will be expensive, but since AMCAS considers classes taken at any college, I will look into courses at public institutions.

I'm not entirely sure on whether or not Med Schools cut off applicants with GPA's below a certain threshold, but I would like to be at least in the 3.5 range. How does this sound?

As for Medical Schools, I'll go wherever I get in but preferably a school in New York.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you take a semester of post-bac upper level sciences without running the risk of getting a single B?

Getting a B would likely negate void any notable improvement to your 3.45 [assuming that you already have tons of credits to your...credit].

Yes. I've been in the 3.6 range all throughout college but I've just had a really bad year so far. Entirely my fault.

I'm thinking of taking courses like Math & Bio, Statistics, Organic Reactions, maybe a course in Computer Programming like I've always wanted.

Would it be a big deal if I didn't take them at my current institution? I'm thinking of taking them at a CUNY.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I've been in the 3.6 range all throughout college but I've just had a really bad year so far. Entirely my fault.

I'm thinking of taking courses like Math & Bio, Statistics, Organic Reactions, maybe a course in Computer Programming like I've always wanted.

Would it be a big deal if I didn't take them at my current institution? I'm thinking of taking them at a CUNY.

The consensus seems to be mainly to avoid community colleges, so as long as you stay at large uni's - shouldn't be a major concern. Have your reasoning thought out though in case ever asked during an interview.

Unless you have unlimited funds, stay cognizant of diminishing returns from your classes.

Do you consider looking into DO schools as well?

The consensus seems to be mainly to avoid community colleges, so as long as you stay at large uni's - shouldn't be a major concern. Have your reasoning thought out though in case ever asked during an interview.

Unless you have unlimited funds, stay cognizant of diminishing returns from your classes.

Do you consider looking into DO schools as well?

I have an excel GPA calculator that I use that gives me a good indicator of the potential effects of each class I take. I just want to be in the 3.5 range at this point.

DO schools, sure. Preferably not though. I'm currently shooting for Downstate.

It won't hurt if you get a bunch of A's, but in reality it's going to be tough to raise your GPA a whole lot with as many units as you probably have.

You might be better off trying to find a clinical job or doing some research, especially if you feel like you are lacking experience in either of those areas.

A strong MCAT score could compensate for a lowish cGPA, but it won't help the bad impression that a recent downward grade trend leaves. I think the postbac is a great idea. What is your projected BCPM GPA on graduating? How low it is should determine the type of classes you take (Science vs nonscience) and how many credit hours are desirable. But in any case, you must demonstrate a very high GPA to make the expense worthwhile.

I'd agree that taking the courses at any 4-year school is fine.

If you could get to a 3.5, that would be great.