graduating late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0xygen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does graduating a semester late have a negative aspect in the application process?

Members don't see this ad.

No, graduate when you need to. If it did not traditional students like myself would have trouble with the process. Some others have added a 5th or 6th year to the end of undergrad to bring grades up, so don't worry about it if you need to take a bit longer then most people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduating late will have a positive impact if you improve components of your application, like grades or ECs, or even if you stay longer to learn about something you always wanted to know.

Thanks, I appreciate for the responses. I actually have a high GPA. The reason I want to graduate a semester late is because I want to take a couple more classes that I'm interested in (they are also recommended by the schools I want to apply) before summer. I have two classes left to graduate but they are very tough and might affect my GPA. So I was thinking I could just take them after I apply to med schools this summer.

I want to take a couple more classes that I'm interested in (they are also recommended by the schools I want to apply) before summer. I have two classes left to graduate but they are very tough and might affect my GPA. So I was thinking I could just take them after I apply to med schools this summer.
Good strategic thinking. If asked at interviews, just say what you told us in the first sentence above. It isn't necessary to mention doubt about the to-be-earned grades in tougher classes.