Graduating one month late, chances of getting fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I need help and guidance. What are the chances of getting a fellowship, If I am finishing my residency in July rather than June? How one month delay can impact my chance of getting into fellowship

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine most fellowship programs (perhaps with the exception of specialties requiring minimal call -- but even so someone would need to staff the clinics) having the flexibility of a fellow starting late in August, unless the program didn't fill and they're literally just looking for someone to fill the gap (basically somebody is better than nobody at all, which is a really really low bar).

It depends on the specialty and what tier programs you're aiming for (any program vs. low tier nephro vs. top tier university nephro vs. cards/GI/heme-onc is very different), but I think the easiest way is to just take a year off and apply in your off-year to avoid this issue. Taking a year off gives you a flex year to interview without too many schedule constraints and also lets you make money as an attending on the side, which isn't bad at all. That said, many programs will ask you why you are taking a year off, in which case you will have to explain why you had to graduate late, but that's better IMO than going in and saying you need to start fellowship late because of whatever issue (basically, you'll have to bring it up anyway so might as well make it less of a hindrance for the programs to rank you).

Hello everyone

I need help and guidance. What are the chances of getting a fellowship, If I am finishing my residency in July rather than June? How one month delay can impact my chance of getting into fellowship
I'm not even sure you would be eligible for the NRMP. Taken from the SMS match agreement,

"To participate in the SMS, prior to the scheduled start date of the position for which the applicant is applying, the applicant must have completed all of the training required for such position and must meet all of the requirements for entry into graduate medical education as prescribed by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education ("ACGME") in Section IV of the ACGME Institutional Requirements, Residents, which are incorporated into this Agreement by reference. Each applicant executing this Agreement hereby affirms that he or she will meet those requirements prior to the applicable program start date."

Even if you were only applying to prematch programs, for the competitive specialties your chances of finding a program that will let you start a month late is slim to none. You would just have to wait a year to apply, which is not really a big deal. For the less competitive specialties, you might be able to find individual programs that would allow it, but that would be on a case by case basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some residents who have done so, but as said it depends on the speciality, and they were well connected in getting the spot

I know some people that have done this. Assuming that you will be in residency in July, use that month for an elective and schedule a rotation with your fellowship program in July.

Thank you, everyone. I am not applying for a competitive fellowship.

I was in a similar situation. Started residency a month late. Before I went into the match, my program was confident that they could waive off the last month of residency for me if I matched t. Apparently there was some new rule that allowed programs to get waiver from ACGME if resident is considered to have reached all milestones. As soon as I matched, my residency program applied on my behalf and within one week...the one month was shaved off for me (without counting as vacation etc). I suggest you discuss with your PD

Reactions: 2 users
I was in a similar situation. Started residency a month late. Before I went into the match, my program was confident that they could waive off the last month of residency for me if I matched t. Apparently there was some new rule that allowed programs to get waiver from ACGME if resident is considered to have reached all milestones. As soon as I matched, my residency program applied on my behalf and within one week...the one month was shaved off for me (without counting as vacation etc). I suggest you discuss with your PD
Yes if a resident misses more than the 3 months allowed (months will be different for longer residencies) but less than 4 months the GME has the discretion to allow a resident to graduate on time...31 or more then the whole time has to be made up.

Reactions: 1 user

This is high yield info! By chance is there any way to reference this ACGME rule online?

Reactions: 1 user

Hi ROBINHO, I am currently in a similar situation, I just sent you a private message, I would appreciate our insight. Thanks!