Graduating Pharmacy School But Looking To Go Into Industry!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandyWexler0831!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's pretty clear that after doing my rotations I absolutely want nothing to do with retail or hospital pharmacy, but what are my options in the industry aspect of pharmacy? Is it possible for me to obtain a job with a pharmaceutical company rite out of school or will i need to do a fellowship before being considered for a position?

Members don't see this ad.

When I worked for an pharma company back in 2014, one of the directors of the R+D department told me he wanted PharmD. So I think you will do pretty well in the industry and I do not think you need alot of experience. I would suggest applying to an fellowship at one of those pharmas company.

Can you tell me what an industry pharmacist would do? I've been seeing it on here a lot but not exactly sure on the title

Members don't see this ad :)
So it's pretty clear that after doing my rotations I absolutely want nothing to do with retail or hospital pharmacy, but what are my options in the industry aspect of pharmacy? Is it possible for me to obtain a job with a pharmaceutical company rite out of school or will i need to do a fellowship before being considered for a position?

There are lots of different departments that you can work in industry as a pharmacist. You can work in: R&D, medical affairs, regulatory, technical- manufacturing, supply chain and packaging. The possibilities are endless. Majority of the positions require you to do a fellowship. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. I'm not a pharmacist yet, but I currently work for one pharma company and co-oped for another while I was in undergrad.

You can get work at a pharmaceutical company right out of school. If possible, consider doing an industry rotation as early as possible, just so you can see what it's like and make connections.

As a student, I would recommend applying for summer internships and doing 4th-year rotations at a pharmaceutical company. The internships can be competitive, especially depending on the type of internship (e.g. medical affairs, HEOR, etc.), but they can provide valuable experience and get your foot in the door for a local company (or any company) that you may be interested in working for in the future. I just recently mentored an AMCP intern in our health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) department and I believe the experience is very well worth it as a pharmacy student. In terms of 4th-year rotations, I would recommend choosing ones that closely align with the position you want after graduation (either as a fellow or full-time employee). For example, if you are interested in applying for a medical affairs fellowship, then you should seek out a medical affairs rotation. Lastly, a post-doctoral fellowship is one of the best routes to enter the industry if you cannot obtain a full-time position after graduation. Additionally, a fellowship can also provide flexibility to explore different roles in the industry if you are not 100% sure what you want to do and do not want to be locked into a full-time job that will likely not provide rotational opportunities. Best of luck!