Graduating psych residents…Job offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good points splik. The thing about this position is I am free to bring in my phone, allowed to leave the building, once I see my assigned caseload of roughly 12 for the day I am allowed to leave with the caveat I may need to come back if called in for something. Though I've been told that happens rarely. The interviews all happen through glass, so I'm never in the same room with the patient, so safety isn't an issue.

I will also have an outpatient clinic, so I could see my outpatients while at the jail via telehealth.

I think this is one of the few offers on here I would like. Can you do M,W,F type of set up? Your looking at 4-5 hours of actual work at most seeing 12 patients but then you can leave provided you are still available just in case till 11pm. Eventually if it really is quiet just see your pp outpatients on the same day and you have a 3 day work week or maybe 4 days and build your way to FI asap. Something tells me there's more to it though as why is the position available if it really is that good?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep the offer is garbage. People can see how bad the ivory towers can be these days (pure clinical). It is a wonder anyone takes these jobs.

Must be desperate for clout.
I think it's not just clout but the easy factor of staying in academia when that is all you have known. If you are actually co-located with big time players in the field, have grand rounds, have senior docs you can ask questions etc, I at least get the appeal even if I would still recommend putting on the big boy/girl pants and making 50% more for the same amount of work somewhere else.

Reactions: 2 users
Offer from an ivory tower:
225 base. No bonus structure or incentive. Full time outpatient only. 30 minute follow up, 1 hr intake. Therapy visits (1 hr) not allowed, only addons are acceptable (214+90833) but must fit in follow up slot.

Work is very low. 8-4. Half day admin time. No double books. 1 hr lunch. No residents or students. All holidays given. +5 days CME. 3 weeks vacation. PSLF eligible.

I remember 7-8 years ago the chair wanting to meet with all the graduating 4th years just to let them know 175k is available if you just want to stay here and get on staff. I was the only one who didn't bother to schedule a meeting. A few class mates took that offer and are still there making below market.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
225 base. No bonus structure or incentive. Full time outpatient only. 30 minute follow up, 1 hr intake. Therapy visits (1 hr) not allowed, only addons are acceptable (214+90833) but must fit in follow up slot.

Work is very low. 8-4. Half day admin time. No double books. 1 hr lunch. No residents or students. All holidays given. +5 days CME. 3 weeks vacation. PSLF eligible.
Agree with others. This is junk.
- the most glaring problem is the low salary, though this phenomenon often happens in academics at brand name institutions
- also--this amount of PTO is actually kind of low for academics
- no sign on or incentive structure? that's also atypical. Why would you even bother to use 90833 if you're not getting paid for it.
- if you were doing this volume of work in any reasonably run private practice set-up (even if the volume seems low), you would be making twice as much

Reactions: 1 user

Also agree with others, but sounds like either something was lost in translation or they have no idea what they're doing. Why would you ever use a therapy add-on when it makes no difference in your pay? They're basically setting up a model for them to lose money. The "all holidays given" likely adds 10 vacation days, so I'd say time off isn't as awful as some others are saying, but still not good. Either way, still a bad deal.

The standard that needs to be in everyone’s mind is 180/hr guarantee for outpatient telepsych. That is what the market is currently.

180 or 180 + benefits? The outpatient market is actually higher, if you negotiate.

It blows my mind people work this hard and long to accept jobs like this. No way I'd touch that.

On second thought, they are saying 225k with 4 hours admin per day. Basically 225k for 20 patient hours/week + bennies + 3 weeks vacation. You could schedule 40 hours of patients/week and take every other week off.

180 or 180 + benefits? The outpatient market is actually higher, if you negotiate.

On second thought, they are saying 225k with 4 hours admin per day. Basically 225k for 20 patient hours/week + bennies + 3 weeks vacation. You could schedule 40 hours of patients/week and take every other week off.
Ah I was interpreting that as half day a week of admin. Who needs 4 hours of admin a day? Especially if not working w residents?

I think they mean half day per week.
8-4 with 1 hour lunch is 7 hour days. 4 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. So 4 x 5 and 3 x 4. That comes out to 32 clinical hours and 3 admin hours per week. (Or 31 clinical hours and 4 admin hours, depending on which half day is admin).

Also agree with others, but sounds like either something was lost in translation or they have no idea what they're doing. Why would you ever use a therapy add-on when it makes no difference in your pay? They're basically setting up a model for them to lose money. The "all holidays given" likely adds 10 vacation days, so I'd say time off isn't as awful as some others are saying, but still not good. Either way, still a bad deal.
I asked them specifically because it didn’t make sense. It sounds like it was a remnant from the past when they had a small bonus structure, and an even lower base (175). They said they are ‘considering’ adding back a bonus structure in the future.

I told them they had to, otherwise it’s just a race to see as few people as possible.

The standard that needs to be in everyone’s mind is 180/hr guarantee for outpatient telepsych. That is what the market is currently. Notice this is guaranteed hourly pay for 2 99214s per hour. I have been offered this many times now on the vast job trail I’ve been on.
If you don't mind me asking, has your vast job trail involved the Midwest or just the coasts? I'm not getting these great offers LOL

If you don't mind me asking, has your vast job trail involved the Midwest or just the coasts? I'm not getting these great offers LOL
Wow. And here I am thinking 180/hr is a bad deal. I'm earning significantly more on an hourly basis moonlighting as a resident on a 60/40 split.

Wow. And here I am thinking 180/hr is a bad deal. I'm earning significantly more on an hourly basis moonlighting as a resident on a 60/40 split.
inpatient or outpatient? also if you dont mind, what geographical area?

Members don't see this ad :)
inpatient or outpatient? also if you dont mind, what geographical area?
Outpatient. Don't want to be too specific but a major city, highly desirable location not on a coast.

Im gettin wary of hospital gigs, being spread thin like marmalade over toast. Hospitals would much more likely hire a locum to cover extra services rather than pay me a penny more. This sucks..

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Maybe this is a clear sign that wages have gone down. I remember plenty of close to 300k offers 4-5 years ago not to mention inflation since that time but factoring that in would be depressing. Clearly downward decline as the midlevels ramp up imo but most won't even acknowledge this. This only motivates me to keep my 50-60 hour work weeks as I'm not liking what i feared is coming earlier than i thought.

The other issue is too much focus on lifestyle hours etc rather than building something and working your ass off by moonlighting wknds etc. I see wages declining towards 225-250ish as we go forward as insurance payments and inflation will continue to dull salaries and everyone wanting 30-32 hr clinical weeks. The pendulum was def on psych's side 7-8 years ago and has naturally started a course correction expedited with mid level surge.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a clear sign that wages have gone down. I remember plenty of close to 300k offers 4-5 years ago not to mention inflation since that time but factoring that in would be depressing. Clearly downward decline as the midlevels ramp up imo but most won't even acknowledge this. This only motivates me to keep my 50-60 hour work weeks as I'm not liking what i feared is coming earlier than i thought.

The other issue is too much focus on lifestyle hours etc rather than building something and working your ass off by moonlighting wknds etc. I see wages declining towards 225-250ish as we go forward as insurance payments and inflation will continue to dull salaries and everyone wanting 30-32 hr clinical weeks. The pendulum was def on psych's side 7-8 years ago and has naturally started a course correction expedited with mid level surge.g

glass half empty type of guy/gal?

The other issue is too much focus on lifestyle hours etc rather than building something and working your ass off by moonlighting wknds etc. I see wages declining towards 225-250ish as we go forward as insurance payments and inflation will continue to dull salaries and everyone wanting 30-32 hr clinical weeks. The pendulum was def on psych's side 7-8 years ago and has naturally started a course correction expedited with mid level surge.
What clear sign are you referring to? I'm baffled at the attachment to the idea that somehow pay has cratered. There is data on this. We just all got significant upwards adjustments at our system based on national benchmarks. Lots of high salaries in my inbox everyday. Open positions at my system, nothing under $300k for great worklife balance.

What clear sign are you referring to? I'm baffled at the attachment to the idea that somehow pay has cratered. There is data on this. We just all got significant upwards adjustments at our system based on national benchmarks. Lots of high salaries in my inbox everyday. Open positions at my system, nothing under $300k for great worklife balance.

Just my opinion on new grads starting salaries vs 5 years ago essentially flat or less while purchasing power is down 20% +

Not my experience looking for work on the west coast at all. A couple outpatient groups I've talked to are getting increased insurance rates this year too.

Just my opinion on new grads starting salaries vs 5 years ago essentially flat or less while purchasing power is down 20% +

I started 4 years ago and the last MD that started 6 mos ago got 20% more than me. I've heard nothing but pay raises for most folks the last few years.

Reactions: 6 users
Again, I get messages for these positions in the midwest all the time. So do many others here. If you don't get them, sign up for some career fairs and look at specific hospitals in the cities you want to work in. The jobs are there and easily available if you look.

To chime in, my major payout just rolled out across the board 8% increases on all codes with zero fanfare this month. I also received three different 300k+ offers in my inbox this morning totally uninvited.

As a resident the current clinic I moonlight at is getting 210 for a 214 and 833. They've got me on a 70/30 split, so I generate about 250 an hr. They charge 180 for a no show, cc automatically billed.

Again, I get messages for these positions in the midwest all the time. So do many others here. If you don't get them, sign up for some career fairs and look at specific hospitals in the cities you want to work in. The jobs are there and easily available if you look.
I appreciate your input, and maybe I should have made this more clear from the start, but I can't just uproot my family and work in any Midwest city. I have a spouse working as well. There are no hospital-affiliated outpatient positions available in my current city. I've checked. I've cold-called private practices too. I'm just putting things in perspective and saying that not everyone is getting offers for $180/hr+ for outpatient work.
I sense (though could be mistaken) that many commenters here work in large metropolitan areas in California, Massachusetts, etc. or maybe Midwest metro areas like Chicago where everything costs more. Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better LOL

Last edited:
I appreciate your input, and maybe I should have made this more clear from the start, but I can't just uproot my family and work in any Midwest city. I have a spouse working as well. There are no hospital-affiliated outpatient positions available in my current city. I've checked. I've cold-called private practices too. I'm just putting things in perspective and saying that not everyone is getting offers for $180/hr+ for outpatient work.
I sense (though could be mistaken) that many commenters here work in large metropolitan areas in California, Massachusetts, etc. or maybe Midwest metro areas like Chicago where everything costs more. Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better LOL
A lot of offers will pay more in rural areas than the markets you mentioned. If you happen to be in some middle size city that is highly desirable to psychiatrists it's possible you are in a minority setup where there really are no hospital affiliated outpatient positions and private practices aren't hiring.

I had the (mis)fortune of applying to jobs in several cities across the country as my partner was looking for work two years ago. I got interviews in every single city even with them knowing I was not a sure thing to move to the area. I am CAP so I'm not sure its the same for adult, but I did get solid pay options in a lot of mid-sized desirable cities (Portland, Denver, San Diego to name 3 for example).

I mean if this is really true, at that rate just do some side work, open your own private practice, take a couple insurances and be full with the outpatient practice in a year. I'm in the midwest outside of a truly midsized city (so not Chicago) and even if I had 30% overhead (which is pretty high overhead) working on my own would still be making around $210/hr if I only took our two major payors and self pay.

Ugh. I just matched into psych and even I see the overt focus on lifestyle, hours, etc at the expense of everything else. A few people say they want to “hustle”, but they also say they want to work as little as possible. I’m unsure how to approach my colleagues and this whole situation when I do aim to be well compensated after residency is done

Ugh. I just matched into psych and even I see the overt focus on lifestyle, hours, etc at the expense of everything else. A few people say they want to “hustle”, but they also say they want to work as little as possible. I’m unsure how to approach my colleagues and this whole situation when I do aim to be well compensated after residency is done

Nothing wrong with wanting to work as little as possible. Or going into a field because it affords you more time to spend with your family, friends, etc.

I would disagree with the "at the expense of everything else" part. I'm not sacrificing my quality of work because I want to spend less total hours at work each week. I'm also making very good money having cobbled together a couple of jobs (>500k).

My experience in talking to my very knowledgeable medical biller (over 20 years in practice, half the docs in a single hospital system I considered use him) believes psych reimbursement is going up in the coming years.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Nothing wrong with wanting to work as little as possible. Or going into a field because it affords you more time to spend with your family, friends, etc.

I would disagree with the "at the expense of everything else" part. I'm not sacrificing my quality of work because I want to spend less total hours at work each week. I'm also making very good money having cobbled together a couple of jobs (>500k).

My experience in talking to my very knowledgeable medical biller (over 20 years in practice, half the docs in a single hospital system I considered use him) believes psych reimbursement is going up in the coming years.
Enjoy the gravy train while it last.

EM provides a cautionary tale to all of us.

There’s no gravy train here..you want a gravy train? Go to the optho forum..derm..any of the sub specialty surgeries..GI..those guys are all clearing 1M in the right situation..very rare for psych to make 1M..so no we do not have a gravy train

There’s no gravy train here..you want a gravy train? Go to the optho forum..derm..any of the sub specialty surgeries..GI..those guys are all clearing 1M in the right situation..very rare for psych to make 1M..so no we do not have a gravy train
500-600k ain't bad

Last edited:
Being limited to a specific city definitely impacts your opportunities. Any chance of working with a PP in a telehealth capacity? Could expand your availability outside your area. Many of the positions I'm talking about are midwest in cities much smaller than Chicago (think Cleveland, Minneapolis, Kansas City size) and the opportunities are still there. Like I said, feel free to DM me where you're at as I get postings from all over the midwest, but sounds like you've already done a pretty extensive search.

Those docs can't work for themselves.

Are you really anticipating insurers are going to drastically reduce reimbursements in the coming years? I'm genuinely not seeing this happening.

Those docs can't work for themselves.

Are you really anticipating insurers are going to drastically reduce reimbursements in the coming years? I'm genuinely not seeing this happening.
Might not happen but be prepared for it. Get your financial situation in order in <10 yrs.

3 weeks vacation, yikes

I mean, I'd much rather make 265k doing 40 hours a week with a light workload than work myself to death and make 400k. Hell, the job I'm looking at plus 4 hours a week at the county jail and working every fourth weekend would net me 380k while only seeing 8-10 inpatients a day during the week with a resident. And that's while still having 9 holidays, 5 weeks vacation, and 1 week CME. I have friends that took jobs out in the sticks working 7 on/7 off for 400k with moderately challenging patient loads, those jobs are still out there. But it's not all about money. I'm already pushing 40, and I've seen the declines in my health just over the last 10 years and dread to extrapolate to the next 10. I want to enjoy the next decade as much as I can, and balance work and life effectively. I'm not working myself into the ground only to be unable to enjoy all that I've earned because my knees or back are completely shot (which seem to be what's going in my particular case)

Reactions: 4 users
I mean, I'd much rather make 265k doing 40 hours a week with a light workload than work myself to death and make 400k. Hell, the job I'm looking at plus 4 hours a week at the county jail and working every fourth weekend would net me 380k while only seeing 8-10 inpatients a day during the week with a resident. And that's while still having 9 holidays, 5 weeks vacation, and 1 week CME. I have friends that took jobs out in the sticks working 7 on/7 off for 400k with moderately challenging patient loads, those jobs are still out there. But it's not all about money. I'm already pushing 40, and I've seen the declines in my health just over the last 10 years and dread to extrapolate to the next 10. I want to enjoy the next decade as much as I can, and balance work and life effectively. I'm not working myself into the ground only to be unable to enjoy all that I've earned because my knees or back are completely shot (which seem to be what's going in my particular case)

40ish hours of my week are from home so it really depends how you structure it. Being able to do a workout, grocery shopping and quick errands on these days makes them "rest" days compared to the 12-15hrs in PP office days. 8 hours of my wk are pd admin. Def. not a burnout schedule in fact the opposite. Someone doing 60 clinical hours in office/inpt would be a much harsher ask.

Seeing plenty of inpatient jobs with a census of 10, leave when you're done, for 300k. We're talking 3-4 hours of work on the inpatient side, tack on a tidy 10 hour a week outpatient gig, and we're looking at >400k a year income for ~30 hours a week. This is hard to beat.

Seeing plenty of inpatient jobs with a census of 10, leave when you're done, for 300k. We're talking 3-4 hours of work on the inpatient side, tack on a tidy 10 hour a week outpatient gig, and we're looking at >400k a year income for ~30 hours a week. This is hard to beat.
Probably the sort of work I'll do once I'm done with PSLF

Which factors do you see in EM that are applicable to our field which makes you think this?
Easy to replace as perceive by administrators.

The thing that is going on for psych as opposed to EM is that you guys can open your own practice.

Probably the sort of work I'll do once I'm done with PSLF
At that math why wait? It seems pretty straightforward to be able to make $100k+ more at a series of jobs like that versus public sector. 6 years of $100k+ should be more than enough to pay off that student loan burden. There's also the potential of the inpatient gig being something that does qualify for PSLF.

Many seniors from my residency program are all getting offers higher than 300k, so, dont believe everything you read. Salaries are still high and def up compared to even 5 years ago.

At that math why wait? It seems pretty straightforward to be able to make $100k+ more at a series of jobs like that versus public sector. 6 years of $100k+ should be more than enough to pay off that student loan burden. There's also the potential of the inpatient gig being something that does qualify for PSLF.
100k after taxes ends up being 70k or so. I have well over 400k in debt, and PSLF is tax free. I have a fellowship, so I only need 5 years. The after tax value of loan forgiveness would require a differential of around 125k each year at a private job, and it's hard to make 410k with the hours I'm working right out of the gate in the Northeast. Plus I like to teach. Plus the retirement plans are better than anything aside from a SEP IRA. Plus the work is relatively easy.

Can someone please give me feedback on this job offer?

1. Outpatient only, 15-20 patients per day
2. Southeast
3. Base is 300k
4. RVU threshold is 6150, above which I get $50/wRVU

This job is paying me roughly $50/wRVU. Is this a fair deal? What $/wRVU should I be aiming for? How difficult is it to reach 6150 wRVU threshold?

Thank You

2. Southeast
3. Base is 300k

This job is paying me roughly $50/wRVU. Is this a fair deal? What $/wRVU should I be aiming for? How difficult is it to reach 6150 wRVU threshold?

Thank You
No, it is not a fair deal. 6150 wRVUs is in the 80%ile for psych so they want you to work harder than 80% of psychiatrists for average pay. About 4200 is in the median range. $50/wRVU is low if this is a commercial insurance clinic (about 5yrs ago $67 per wRVU was median, i dont have more recent data, it might be a little lower now following the 2021 E&M changes). If there is a lot of medicare and/or medicaid, $50 may be more reasonable but it is quite low for psych. I would pass if you can and look for something else.

2. Southeast
3. Base is 300k

Thank You
Our system pays $306k for outpatient base for a target of 4500. PM me if you want!

2. Southeast
3. Base is 300k

Thank You
Just for reference, in my non coastal, large metro area, private practice docs taking insurance would gross the following at 20 patients a day...

10*($208) 99214+90833
5*($115) 99214
4*($95) 99213
1*(305) 99204

Truthfully this is conservative. I do probably 80% add on therapy. Nonetheless this would gross 800k with one month off a year.

Hybrid tele practice to keep overhead down, one office staff at 6 hours a day at 35/hr, 7% billing fees, you're looking at about 130k a year in overhead. So you're keeping 670k.

So you tell me, does your job seem fair?

*Basing these numbers on our recent residency grads who have stayed in the area to practice.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Have a new inpatient unit opening near me.
Public non academic hospital.
They’re offering 250k for the 10-12 bed unit. 3000/mo starting now in residency, a little over a year for me. Student loan repayment that I don’t have all the details on.

No RVU bonus for the first 2 years. But if you don’t reach their RVU targets they can decrease their salary. With it being a new unit they don’t know what to se those at.
They think that 10-12 beds won’t be enough of a workload for a doc and want 10% outpatient commitment. No idea what that looks like.
Call is written that you taken a “proportional amount” shared with other doctors. Right now there would be only the 1 doc so they could theoretically have you on call 100% of the time.
This sounds stupidly bad right?

• Wow