Graduating UGRAD senior in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InquisitiveDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a nueroscience major with a minor in chemistry. I've had some rough patches that I dont want to use as a crutch on my application so I dont want to mention them. However, my ugpa is 2.731 and science ugpa is around a 2.4. These numbers exclude this current semester that, if I continue on the path that I'm on, I'll complete these last 15 credits with a 3.776 gpa.

Obvioulsy because I am a science major, I have completed all of my pre-reqs except for physics lab. But I need to get my gpa up to a 3.something.

Any advice out there?

BTW, just a little more background information:
Im a NY resident and plan on going to Hunter College for this upcoming spring semester to take some upper level science courses along with physics lab to help my gpa in some way. However, I don't want to be there past a full semester during both the spring and the summer. Therefore, I want to know what my next plans should be for next fall. And can any of those plans include me staying in NY or will I have to relocate once again??

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I can just give you advice (based on what i have read in this section).

I think, as other people have said to others, you should focus on getting those GPAs to as close to 3.0 as possible. I know you don't want to do more than a full semester, but see how you do in your classes and if you can get straight A's at Hunter, I think you have a chance of raising your grades to the 3.0 mark (or maybe even more) within the year. But you would probably need to take anywhere from 3-5 classes each semester, probably 4 each semester.

Also, you might want to look at doing SMPs (special masters programs) which, if you do well in, really boost your application (based on what I have read and seen here). BUT, that's only if you do REALLY WELL (really well = 3.6 GPA or UP, ideally 3.7+, as others have said...) in the SMP. Although doing the SMP can help your application, you might even be able to apply just after the year at Hunter.

But you should probably think about working on your ECs (keep volunteering) and or even taking some more classes during the year you apply to medical school, without even worrying about doing an SMP :)

I can't believe no one's posted!

One last thing. The reason I say "as people have said," is because I'm not a major source. I'm a UGRAD senior myself and I'm just posting the things that I have observed/learned based on what other people have said. So I'm like a secondary source, not a primary.

But hopefully I was helpful :)

Also, there is a great thread for low GPAers: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=125347.

Check it out! Or copy and paste your post again :)