randombetch

Removed
Sep 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Is having "Summa cum laude" on your resume good for anything as a doctor? I'm talking ANYTHING, including but not limited to:
-Getting residencies
-Getting leadership roles in a hospital setting
-Getting hired by a private practice
-Getting chicks at a bar
-Impressing patients

rHinO1

Grindin' Until I'm Tired
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Is having "Summa cum laude" on your resume good for anything as a doctor? I'm talking ANYTHING, including but not limited to:
-Getting residencies
-Getting chicks at a bar
-Impressing patients
Definitely not good for that :D

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
summ cum laude probably doesn't speak any louder than the 4.0 it took you to get there..

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
-Getting chicks at a bar --> Unlikely
-Impressing patients --> Most won't know what that is

How about one-upping fellow medical school uber-nerd in a verbal tantrum?

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Looks impressive on the diploma you'll have hanging in your patient rooms.

austinap

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
CA
Status
-Getting residencies
-Getting chicks at a bar
-Impressing patients

Not really. If you're lucky, it might get mentioned in an introduction to a talk you give, but even then it's pretty lame. However, the grades that got you there may play a role in residency apps, but likely not much of one.

Frazier

Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
Strange. I have always found [thus far] that chicks slide off the bar stool when I tell the I graduated summa. (And I don't mean that they left.) :smuggrin:

Perhaps you aren't doing it right? You need to make sure to present your graduation photo when you drop the 'summa bomb' followed up with a quick "if you play your cards right, I may even let you handle my tassel".

Batting average 1.000

FluffyRabbit

7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
-Getting chicks at a bar --> Unlikely
-Impressing patients --> Most won't know what that is

How about one-upping fellow medical school uber-nerd in a verbal tantrum?
I feel like once you're actually in medical school, bringing up undergraduate GPA/MCAT scores is an automatic loss.

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Not referring to the normal medical school student.

Residency directors at some top programs seem elitist enough to possibly care, but not as a top selection criteria.

Chicks in bars? Have you seen chicks in bars? Pass.

And yes, i think most patients wouldn't look below the name of the medical school diploma to care.

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
it might make your mommy proud. but otherwise it's doesn't do jack

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
probably nothing, I'm gonna use it to tell my kids to work hard tho :smuggrin:

csmittyB

happy fellow
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
-Getting residencies
-Getting chicks at a bar
-Impressing patients
I'd guess that residencies would care more about AOA than summa.

Most patients won't even know what "Summa cu laude" is, let alone give a damn about it.

StayingFocused

5+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, for us pre-meds it means little.
I was wondering the same thing about graduating with an Honors diploma (I'm in the honors program at my school)... what's the point?

I guess its just for yourself...you know...a personal goal.;)

anfleisch

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Well honors programs often have different "programming" like a thesis or something that will help. But to me summa cum laude just means you had a high GPA, and you could easily just say the number.

Dec 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I'm pretty sure anyone reviewing your application probably already has a working knowledge of the different tiers. I'm assuming its pretty common knowledge. Its just using words instead of numbers to depict your GPA. I don't see why it would make that much of a difference.

However it is interesting to point out that that I will graduate summa cum laude (because my ugrad allows grade replacement) but my gpa per AMCAS will fall into the magna cum laude range. Maybe I can fake people out with this in the future? hahaha

AbbyNormal

Yes. No. Maybe.
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2010
Well crap I guess being voted most studious senior and being in Who's Who in American High School Students is not going to get me much then. Damn it.

I should at least get a free beer.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Strange. I have always found [thus far] that chicks slide off the bar stool when I tell the I graduated summa. (And I don't mean that they left.) :smuggrin:...
You guys do realize that you can still say this in bars even if it's not true. Actually achieving it is thus meaningless.

The short answer is, no it won't matter one iota. In medicine you are always judged by the last place you've been. Nobody cares much about college once you are in med school, and nobody cares much about med school once you are in residency and so on. It might make you feel good about yourself, or make your parents proud. And it looks nice on your diploma and CV. But it won't have any real impact on your life.

Ischemic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
As useful as eating steak with a straw. No one ****ing gives a flying ****. How many colleges are there in the country? How many people graduate summa? How many of those people revolutionized the world?