Graduation Requirements/ Procedures Completed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile_doctor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to guage the graduation requirements and amount of clinical exposure given at some of the schools that I've been interviewing with. Can any of you comment on the total # of each type of procedure that is required at your school (i.e., # of extractions, root canals, fillings, crown & bridge, dentures, etc.)? How many of these have you actually completed and what is your year in school?

Thanks,
Smile_doc

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Ok, here at WVU the requirements are in the process of changing, but this is as good a 'guestimate' as I can give:

-Operative: You must do a set number of restos (so many class II's, so many onlays etc) before taking a 'performance assesment,' and you must pass all p.a.'s before you graduate. the minimum # depends on the type of filling. For example, you need only 2 class V's to be eligible for p.a. but 5 class II's. We have to wax and cast all of our gold inlays/onlays on our own, and I think we need to do 8 total in/on to take a p.a. Once you've taken all p.a.'s you're eligible for graduation. (confusing, i know)

-Endo: 2 Anterior, 2 Bi's, and 2 molars then a p.a. on any tooth

-Perio: Bazillion prophy/maint (maybe 30?), 3 surgeries (one can be a demonstration surgery) and around 30 quad scale/rp

--Pedo: 5 primary tooth extractions, 10 sealants, 5 SSC, and 10 fillings

--Fixed: 3 bridges, 5 crowns

--Removable: 6 units (an arch counts as one unit) of complete dentures, 6 units of partials

--Oral Surgery: 75 extractions, of which 20 must be surgical or require sutures

--Orthodontics: 1 limited tx case and 10 screenings, plus 2 years following a resident on a complete case

These are the bare minimum requirements for graduation. We also have to do a 'complete tx' case of a level 4 or above patient for a class. We also have to maintain a clinic attendance of 90% or higher to graduate (so you can't just come and do the required work--you need to be in the clinic even if you're through)

I am a 3d year who started in the clinic in May. So far, I've done--
2 endo cases (start a 3d on Monday), 8 or 9 fillings (various types), 1 crown prep, 50 extractions (i was on oral surgery rotation early), 1 peds extraction, maybe 8 quad of scaling/rp, demo'ed a perio surgery. I've also got a patient healing from extractions who will begin complete denture treatment in a week, and a patient coming in later this month to take impressions for upper and lower partials.

I hope this helps!

That's exactly what I wanted to know Haircut. Thanks! Compared to some of the schools that I've been talking to, it seems that your requirements will give you very good clinical training.

Take Care!