Graduation Speaker - Invite Waitlist School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReachingTruth

My Future Rests on Hope
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently selected as the graduating student speaker and I want to extend an invitation to the Admissions Committee of the school that waitlisted me. Is that too unorthodox? (They are within a mile of the location of the ceremony)

Also, I already updated them last month with all my activities since my AMCAS submission. Is this considered significant enough to update them again? They meet tomorrow to decide the waitlist ranking, I believe. So can I just send them a quick email to add this letter (just a few lines telling them that I was selected) to my file?

Lots of questions, I know. Please offer any advice on how I can go about letting them know or perhaps inviting them.

Members don't see this ad.

that's a pretty ballsy move.

if you're a total badass you could pull it off, but the play-it-safe move would just be to write an update telling them about your accomplishment.

that's a pretty ballsy move.

if you're a total badass you could pull it off, but the play-it-safe move would just be to write an update telling them about your accomplishment.

If it takes me being a total badass to get in, I'll do it. I already signed up for the poop hot dog thing, I guess this is the next step?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would invite them, but make sure you have a eloquent and well delivered speech.

Odds are though, that they wont come.

I would mention it but not necessarily extend the official invite (that's the shady part here in my opinion, not the fact that you plan to mention it). Just something along the lines of "I am thrilled to let you know that I have been chosen as the graduation speaker at U of X and I'm looking forward to possibly seeing you in the audience." (as opposed to something more overbearing such as "I'm speaking at U of X's graduation ceremony on May 15th 2007, 3 PM and would like to invite you to come and listen to my speech")

I think it's a nice gesture, even if they won't come.

You can also get a friend to tape the speech and upload it to youtube if you really want them to see it. Make sure it's REALLY good, though.

I would invite them, but make sure you have a eloquent and well delivered speech.

Odds are though, that they wont come.

Good luck attempting to figure out who they are even if they did. However, my opinion is they basically could give 2 ****s about it.

You can also get a friend to tape the speech and upload it to youtube if you really want them to see it. Make sure it's REALLY good, though.
I don't know about this one, *I* personally think it's going to the "disturbed applicant" territory. Of course others, or even the majority may not feel that way, but who knows, maybe one of the adcom members will share my opinion, and you definitely don't want that.

For the invite, I don't plan on going overboard with it. Something to this affect (more formal tho):

I am excited to tell you that I will be speaking at this graduation. As the ceremony is open to all, I would like to extend an invitation for you to attend. I believe the speech reflects the ideals and values that are present in the medical profession, along with my enthusiasm for the endless opportunities our future holds. I understand that your schedules must be busy and I appreciate your consideration. I hope you will be able to make it.

Thank you,
ReachingTruth

Yes? No?

I don't know about this one, *I* personally think it's going to the "disturbed applicant" territory. Of course others, or even the majority may not feel that way, but who knows, maybe one of the adcom members will share my opinion, and you definitely don't want that.

It's a risky move, but if you're good enough, it can be a solid self-promotion. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LbrNhZ2QI4 -- You can tell a lot about the guy from that speech.

By the way, thank you for your replies. I do appreciate it.

For the invite, I don't plan on going overboard with it. Something to this affect (more formal tho):

I am excited to tell you that I will be speaking at this graduation. As the ceremony is open to all, I would like to extend an invitation for you to attend. I believe the speech reflects the ideals and values that are present in the medical profession, along with my enthusiasm for the endless opportunities our future holds. I understand that your schedules must be busy and I appreciate your consideration. I hope you will be able to make it.

Thank you,
ReachingTruth

Yes? No?
I think it's pretty good.

Do it...it will make you stick out to the committee...it cant hurt...unless they show up and you suck...but you wont so...no worries

That's an interesting question. I don't think that you'd get negative reactions to a pleasant, not-too-pushy invite, though you might get a few "what is he/she thinking?" On the other hand, I strongly doubt anyone is going to show up (I doubt they'd even do it for an accepted applicant they were trying hard to recruit).

I think it'd be better if you send them an update with a copy of the speech to plan to give. That way you're only asking for a minute of their time, not a couple of hours on a weekend.

i'd send them an update letter explaining this and maybe adding a copy of your speech...but i wouldn't invite them..thats just me tho

I say go for it. If I sat on the admissions committee I'd be impressed. You're willing to stick your neck out, the school is close by so there is a reasonable possibility of them actually attending, and your letter is polite. What do you have to lose at this point? Applicants begin to look the same after awhile, particularly the bio major, straight from college types. This shows a lot of personality both for being selected to speak and for having the gumption to invite the adcoms. Best of luck let us know how it turns out!

I've decided to follow thru with a hybrid version of your advice above, I'll invite them politely and point out that I understand their schedule is incredibly busy so I'm attaching a copy of the speech as well.

Thank you again for all your advice. And to lunaire, if the speech has the effect I want it to, I'm definitely going to consider YouTube (just for kicks, of course...not ballsy enough to send that to the Adcoms).