Grammar mistakes on activities section - am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americandragon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found 4 grammar mistakes (verb tense errors) in my primary application's meaningful activities section. It was the only section where I did not have another pair of eyes look over since I wanted to submit before mid July. Am I screwed? How closely do adcoms read this section?

Members don't see this ad.

Your pre-med life is over. The Grammar Nazi Adcoms will rain down upon your app with a BIG, RED, REJECT.

In all seriousness though, stop worrying - there is nothing you can do about it now. With all the applications they read, I doubt adcoms will notice (or care) about minor grammar errors, unless they are glaringly obvious or make your writing hard to understand.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat as you. But mine may be more obvious.. it's as if one sentence starts midway through. Nothing we can do about it but hope for the best lol

Reactions: 1 user
I found 4 grammar mistakes (verb tense errors) in my primary application's meaningful activities section. It was the only section where I did not have another pair of eyes look over since I wanted to submit before mid July. Am I screwed? How closely do adcoms read this section?
:lol:

Personally, I'm a grammar stickler, but having a few typos or grammar mistakes doesn't mean you're not fit to be a doctor. Most adcoms would gloss right over it and not care. I would notice it, but I still wouldn't care. You're fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Make sure you prep for the inevitable gap year. Next year apply straight to Carribbean and forgo DO.

It's fine....

Reactions: 1 users
it's the PS that we tend to notice poor spelling and grammar. So quit fussing.

Reactions: 1 users
Send all schools a letter explaining your situation

... just make sure somebody proofreads it :p

Reactions: 3 users
I had 2 major typos in my secondary, for the school I matriculate at next weekend!!
Totally doofus move on my part, but no one noticed/cared.
Don't sweat it, as there is nothing you can do now.
Move on, just be more careful on the next set of secondaries, so it doesn't show as a trend

Reactions: 2 users
it's the PS that we tend to notice poor spelling and grammar. So quit fussing.

Thanks for all the awesome and reassuring replies! Do you know if adcoms mostly evaluate this section based on content (things we did) or style (how we wrote it?)

Thanks for all the awesome and reassuring replies! Do you know if adcoms mostly evaluate this section based on content (things we did) or style (how we wrote it?)

Content is more important than how you wrote it or grammar mistakes. Being on the other side of the admissions process, I can tell you that most of the time, I skim through the application a couple minutes before the interview. I don't have time to look through it with a fine tooth comb or check every single grade you got. I'll check out your GPA and MCAT score, read your personal statement, and look at your activities so I have stuff to ask you.

GPA and MCAT is always relatively the same, and activities are usually pretty generic. So the thing that sets you apart is the interview and your personal statement. There's basically 3 things I want to know: a) Can you hang? b) Are you committed? c) Are you someone I'd like to work with and be around?

The last one is probably the most important for me. You're probably going to rotate on my service as an MS3 eventually, so there's a chance I'm going to have to work with you and be around you for some time. So if you come off as someone I'd like to work with and teach, then that probably means more than any of the other stuff on your application.

Last edited:
Content = super important. Style becomes a factor only if it's trite or hackneyed, or poorly written. And yes, I have seen some really bad essays.

Multiple spelling or grammar mistakes will stand out, like soot on a white canvas. We expect you to proof your work, especially since it's on a career-deciding piece of paper (your app!). The logic of "if this guy is so sloppy with his essay, what is he going to be like with patients??" flits around our minds when we see stuff like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you can edit it even after you submit. That might only be on AACOMAS though. Because I definitely submitted my primary with a typo and fixed it after the fact.

Secondary apps probably depend on the school.

No. I personally know someone who made a mistake in the first sentence of the PS: "________ ceases to amaze me" (the person forgot to include not). This person got into many schools and is attending a top 10
I love vineyard vines!!

The worst you may get is a wisecrack lobbed at you by an interviewer. People make mistakes, and they're good for a laugh, but it shouldn't damn you to admissions hell.

I'm pretty sure you can edit it even after you submit. That might only be on AACOMAS though. Because I definitely submitted my primary with a typo and fixed it after the fact.

Secondary apps probably depend on the school.

AMCAS cannot be edited after submission except for a couple things like changing your address and adding schools/LORs. Once you hit submit, your essays and stuff can't be changed.

Content is more important than how you wrote it or grammar mistakes. Being on the other side of the admissions process, I can tell you that most of the time, I skim through the application a couple minutes before the interview. I don't have time to look through it with a fine tooth comb or check every single grade you got. I'll check out your GPA and MCAT score, read your personal statement, and look at your activities so I have stuff to ask you.

GPA and MCAT is always relatively the same, and activities are usually pretty generic. So the thing that sets you apart is the interview and your personal statement. There's basically 3 things I want to know: a) Can you hang? b) Are you committed? c) Are you someone I'd like to work with and be around?

The last one is probably the most important for me. You're probably going to rotate on my service as an MS3 eventually, so there's a chance I'm going to have to work with you and be around you for some time. So if you come off as someone I'd like to work with and teach, then that probably means more than any of the other stuff on your application.

Great response!!
Last question, do you know if my mistake will cost me my chances of even receiving an interview?

Personally, I'm a grammar stickler, but having a few typos or grammar mistakes doesn't mean you're not fit to be a doctor. Most adcoms would gloss right over it and not care. I would notice it, but I still wouldn't care. You're fine.
Yep. I caught a few mistake when I went back to read my essays for a school on the way to my interview.

I accidentally misspelled the word hospital in one secondary that asked to list my activities. My Microsoft word didn't pick it up because it was in all caps, reading HOSPTIAL rather than HOSPITAL. I know that my schools haven't read my application yet because they are waiting for my MCAT scores which are released on Tuesday. Should I attempt to change the error through admissions, or hope that it isn't noticed as it's in a long list of activities and is in capital letters on my application (so it isn't as noticeable in a way)?

I accidentally misspelled the word hospital in one secondary that asked to list my activities. My Microsoft word didn't pick it up because it was in all caps, reading HOSPTIAL rather than HOSPITAL. I know that my schools haven't read my application yet because they are waiting for my MCAT scores which are released on Tuesday. Should I attempt to change the error through admissions, or hope that it isn't noticed as it's in a long list of activities and is in capital letters on my application (so it isn't as noticeable in a way)?
Don't sweat it, as there is nothing you can do about it now and certainly do not call attention to it. I had 2 MAJOR typos in the secondary to my top school, which I am attending now. No one said a word about it, and I certainly didn't bring it up. Total stupidity on my part, but like others have said, it is the content that matters. Just don't do it too often!!.

to the original poster : as long as your application flows well collectively, you will be fine.

I literally repeated the same THREE SENTENCES in one of my secondaries to a top mstp program ... Got invited for an interview for their first day. I think basically everyone else is fine if I was. Haaha.