grammar question for my PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justapremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I want to say the phrase in vivo, obviously I can't italicize it in the PS as I usually would. Would it be okay for me to leave it as just: in vivo? Or put it in " "?

Members don't see this ad.

According to The UVic Writer's Guide:

The basic rule is this:
  • Any work long enough to be published alone is put in italics,
  • Shorter works or parts of longer works are enclosed in (double) quotation marks.
Thus titles of books, novels, plays, long poems, periodicals and so on (operas, ballets, named symphonies, newspapers, sculptures, paintings, television programs, ships, planes, and spacecraft) are in italics, whereas any item that appears within a larger work--single poems, articles, short stories, chapters, titles of songs and so on--are enclosed in quotation marks.

If you're typing your essay and can't italicize words, underline them instead.
It seems weird underlining in vivo though so your best bet would be to Google for grammar/essay forums and ask your question there (or try your English department).

No quotes. Just in vivo.

No quotes. Just in vivo.

That's what I'd do. I'm sure this phrase is familiar to the people reading it, if not because of a science background then at least from reading med school applications all day. I don't think anyone would bat an eye at not italicizing it.