Grammatical Error in Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabujabu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had originally shown my secondary essay for Columbia to my dad, mom, and sister, and I looked over it multiple times. Anyway, today I noticed a grammatical error in it. Will this be a big deal and should I even bother to try to change it? I'm guessing no? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Gabujabu said:
I had originally shown my secondary essay for Columbia to my dad, mom, and sister, and I looked over it multiple times. Anyway, today I noticed a grammatical error in it. Will this be a big deal and should I even bother to try to change it? I'm guessing no? :confused:
What's done is done. If it was missed multiple times on initial review, chances are it won't be picked up on the quick skim it gets when they review your applicaiton. Now it will be noticed if you try to change it.

Don't bother.

Submit is Forever.
Cross your fingers and hope they don't catch it.
Depakotes' point about how they skim it is probably right--if you are missing a small word that people would *automatically* fill in when reading a sentence you're probably OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, the word is "of" and my entire family and I mentally inserted the word!

I have a policy not to go over things once they're submitted. Last week, after being accepted to my top choice months ago, I found a REALLY stupid mistake in my personal statement and got upset about it (i was giving it to a friend to read that is applying now). If I had found that while applying I dont know what i would have done...

The point being, you're human, you makes mistakes. One or two minor mistakes will not affect you negatively. RELAX.

Yeah, the only reason I noticed is that I was using part of that secondary response for another essay.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
I have a policy not to go over things once they're submitted. Last week, after being accepted to my top choice months ago, I found a REALLY stupid mistake in my personal statement and got upset about it (i was giving it to a friend to read that is applying now). If I had found that while applying I dont know what i would have done...

The point being, you're human, you makes mistakes. One or two minor mistakes will not affect you negatively. RELAX.

Gabujabu said:
Yeah, the only reason I noticed is that I was using part of that secondary response for another essay.

Yeah I noticed a similar one in one of mine for UIC when I was using part of a secondary response for another essay too.

No biggie. If you and multiple other readers didn't catch it until a 4th or 5th reading, I doubt the adcom will. It isn't the kind of thing that sticks out like a misspelled word or a sentence that flat out doesn't make sense. :luck: