Gabujabu

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
527
2
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I had originally shown my secondary essay for Columbia to my dad, mom, and sister, and I looked over it multiple times. Anyway, today I noticed a grammatical error in it. Will this be a big deal and should I even bother to try to change it? I'm guessing no? :confused:
 

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
20,811
102
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
Gabujabu said:
I had originally shown my secondary essay for Columbia to my dad, mom, and sister, and I looked over it multiple times. Anyway, today I noticed a grammatical error in it. Will this be a big deal and should I even bother to try to change it? I'm guessing no? :confused:
What's done is done. If it was missed multiple times on initial review, chances are it won't be picked up on the quick skim it gets when they review your applicaiton. Now it will be noticed if you try to change it.

Don't bother.
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Submit is Forever.
Cross your fingers and hope they don't catch it.
Depakotes' point about how they skim it is probably right--if you are missing a small word that people would *automatically* fill in when reading a sentence you're probably OK.
 
About the Ads
OP
Gabujabu

Gabujabu

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
527
2
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
yeah, the word is "of" and my entire family and I mentally inserted the word!
 

Dr.TobiasFünke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
621
0
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a policy not to go over things once they're submitted. Last week, after being accepted to my top choice months ago, I found a REALLY stupid mistake in my personal statement and got upset about it (i was giving it to a friend to read that is applying now). If I had found that while applying I dont know what i would have done...

The point being, you're human, you makes mistakes. One or two minor mistakes will not affect you negatively. RELAX.
 
OP
Gabujabu

Gabujabu

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
527
2
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yeah, the only reason I noticed is that I was using part of that secondary response for another essay.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
I have a policy not to go over things once they're submitted. Last week, after being accepted to my top choice months ago, I found a REALLY stupid mistake in my personal statement and got upset about it (i was giving it to a friend to read that is applying now). If I had found that while applying I dont know what i would have done...

The point being, you're human, you makes mistakes. One or two minor mistakes will not affect you negatively. RELAX.
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Gabujabu said:
Yeah, the only reason I noticed is that I was using part of that secondary response for another essay.
Yeah I noticed a similar one in one of mine for UIC when I was using part of a secondary response for another essay too.

No biggie. If you and multiple other readers didn't catch it until a 4th or 5th reading, I doubt the adcom will. It isn't the kind of thing that sticks out like a misspelled word or a sentence that flat out doesn't make sense. :luck:
 
About the Ads