Maxip

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
86
0
0
38
My pockets hurt...
Visit site
Status
I have a quick question for current medical students: How many of you have received grant money towards your tuition? Is it pretty much accepted, for the most part, that the student will pay all of the tuition costs, whether through loans or through personal funding?

I was just wondering if its anything like graduate school, where at least SOME tuition assistance is the norm. Thanks...
 
B

Blade28

We get some tuition assistance here, if you're lucky...only one semester's worth of tuition, though.
 

Maxip

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
86
0
0
38
My pockets hurt...
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Blade28
We get some tuition assistance here, if you're lucky...only one semester's worth of tuition, though.
Lucky? Or because you're a really good student...

cuz i'm neither :laugh:
 

edfig99

15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
688
11
351
NYC
Status
Attending Physician, Academic Administration
Originally posted by Maxip
I have a quick question for current medical students: How many of you have received grant money towards your tuition? Is it pretty much accepted, for the most part, that the student will pay all of the tuition costs, whether through loans or through personal funding?

I was just wondering if its anything like graduate school, where at least SOME tuition assistance is the norm. Thanks...
it's pretty much accepted that most of the money to pay for your medical education will come from loans. Many schools do not provide merit based aid. Much of the aid available in medical school coffers is in the form of needs-based aid. many schools will require you to have family participate in the funding process (either as lenders or as borrowers.)

Schools that offer merit based aid will award you grant money as long as you maintain a certain average.
 
B

Blade28

Originally posted by edfig99
Much of the aid available in medical school coffers is in the form of needs-based aid. many schools will require you to have family participate in the funding process (either as lenders or as borrowers.)
Nah, I'm not involving my parents. I'm just borrowing the max amount (around $35,000) every year. :)
 

NikkiDeee

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2003
27
0
0
39
Pluto
Visit site
Status
In order to qualify for grant money at most schools, you have to give your, your spouse's and your parent's financial info no matter how old you are. Your financial aid package is based off of your family contribution and you may qualify for need based assistance depending on how much they make. Giving their information doesn't mean they have to pay, most students I know pay for it on their own, but you have to play the game. It's not fair for your package to be based on your parents if your parents aren't going to pay, but that's life. If you want to see if you get any aid outside of loans you have to give their information.

With that said, I don't know if my school is just generous, but parents have to make a considerable amout of money for them to think a student can pay for $50,000+ from family contribution. If you are middle class and are paying this high of tuition, it is likely that you will get some grant money (though maybe not a lot, you never know until you apply).