GRE and Doctorate Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DayKD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to some psychology doctorate programs, but still need to take the GRE. I've found a few threads on here that discussed the best study guides, but a lot were at least a few years old. Is there a study plan or guide that you feel worked best? If anyone has taken the GRE recently, what was it like and how hard is the Quantitative Reasoning portion? I've also found practice tests, but I'd really like a study book too.
As for the doctorate questions, how important is research experience when getting into a program? I was supposed to be a research assistant this year, but the professor cancelled the study. I believe the programs I am going to apply to say research isn't necessary, but is recommended. Does this have any impact on acceptance to a program?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you referenced wanting to apply to a PsyD program in another post? If this is the case, then research experience will indeed be very very helpful and help weed out candidates (i.e. make you much more competitive) but it will not be the focus of the application much in the way that research experience is a necessity for PhD programs.

Reactions: 1 user
It's been over 10 years since I took the GRE, so I can't really comment on how to study for it at this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you referenced wanting to apply to a PsyD program in another post? If this is the case, then research experience will indeed be very very helpful and help weed out candidates (i.e. make you much more competitive) but it will not be the focus of the application much in the way that research experience is a necessity for PhD programs.
I'm looking to apply to Psy.D programs, but I found a school with a PhD program I also like. However, I'm more focused on applying to a Psy.D. The only research experience I've had is through two research methods classes in undergrad. I'm going to talk to my advisor about finding some research experience since my school has several opportunities on the main campus.

I'm planning on applying to some psychology doctorate programs, but still need to take the GRE. I've found a few threads on here that discussed the best study guides, but a lot were at least a few years old.

For the past few years there has been a new revised version of the GRE that is quite different from the previous one. The current test is pretty much like most standardized tests in which the items are valued equally and the raw scores are then normed into scaled scores. The previous version was based around item response theory, such that problems earlier on in the test set the overall anchoring point, resulting in the subsequent problems being adjusted in difficulty depending on earlier performance and shifting one's score to smaller and smaller degrees further on in the test. Thus, there were different test-taking strategies for the previous version, because earlier problems in a particular subsection were worth comparatively more than later ones, so you should spend more time making sure you get the earlier question right. Currently, you need to balance between speed and accuracy. You don't want to get problems wrong by being too hasty, but you also don't want to miss out on completing as many problems as possible, because you're going too slowly. Thus, any study materials you use should be for the recent revised GRE so that it gives the overall study and test-taking techniques for the current version and not the previous one.

Is there a study plan or guide that you feel worked best?

I really liked the Manhattan Prep series, Amazon product

It has six guides for the quantitative section and two for the verbal section, each with divided into sections with their own practice problems, and there is a separate "5 lb. book" of just practice problems and tests. How much you need to use them or any other guides or how much you'll need to study overall really depends on your individual skills and background.

If anyone has taken the GRE recently, what was it like and how hard is the Quantitative Reasoning portion? I've also found practice tests, but I'd really like a study book too.

The difficulty level is subjective, based on both the level of math involved and the style of the GRE quant section. It's different from typical standardized tests of quantitative reasoning in that they are not simply looking for you to give the correct solution to a particular equation, formula, etc. It's structured such that there are two quantities, A and B, given, which can be anything from an integer to a variable to a set to the length of a side of a polygon, etc. The answer options are then "Quantity A is larger than B," "Quantity B is larger than A," "Quantity A is equal to B," or "there is not enough information to tell." So, it's a very different style than your typical math test and requires more advanced reasoning than simply being proficient in a particular area of math.

The verbal section is also somewhat atypical as the reading comprehension section takes a different style than other reading comp tests. Normally, we try to extrapolate out from the text to its logical implications, but the GRE is very exacting about not inferring more from the text than is explicitly stated or implied. The questions will even try to trip you up by offering a possible logical inference from the text as a wrong answer. It can help to find a quote or direct paraphrase from the text to "justify" your chosen answer.

As for the doctorate questions, how important is research experience when getting into a program? I was supposed to be a research assistant this year, but the professor cancelled the study. I believe the programs I am going to apply to say research isn't necessary, but is recommended. Does this have any impact on acceptance to a program?

Research experience is always important, even if you don't want to be a researcher as a career, to get admitted to a good program, to help you have a solid foundation upon which build more advanced skills in grad school for you thesis and dissertation, and to help you be a better consumer of scientific literature.

I'm looking to apply to Psy.D programs, but I found a school with a PhD program I also like. However, I'm more focused on applying to a Psy.D. The only research experience I've had is through two research methods classes in undergrad. I'm going to talk to my advisor about finding some research experience since my school has several opportunities on the main campus.

Why are you mostly applying to PsyD programs? Are these fully-funded programs? What do you want to do for a career?

I really wouldn't bother applying to ph.d programs without any hands- on research experience.

Please be mindful of the financial burden Psy.D programs produce due to not funding there students.

Why are you mostly applying to PsyD programs? Are these fully-funded programs? What do you want to do for a career?
I'm going to apply to Psy.D programs because they are usually said to be more practice-based rather than research-based. My career goal is to become a licensed psychologist and eventually open my own practice. My goal for the near future is to get my Psy.D (or maybe PhD) and get licensed in Ohio. I've considered working in the criminal justice/law enforcement field as a psychologist. However, I am also open to working in hospitals or clinics. I honestly haven't made a decision yet since I'm still in my undergrad. As of right now, it may also depend on where I attend for my doctorate. For example, one school I will apply to has different concentrations I'm interested in, such as forensic emphasis.
As for "Are they fully funded programs?" I really couldn't find a lot of information on the school websites. Most, if not all, mentioned ways to get a tuition stipend (assistantships, etc.) I will be contacting the admissions offices before applying to ask about funding the degree.

I'm going to apply to Psy.D programs because they are usually said to be more practice-based rather than research-based. My career goal is to become a licensed psychologist and eventually open my own practice. My goal for the near future is to get my Psy.D (or maybe PhD) and get licensed in Ohio. I've considered working in the criminal justice/law enforcement field as a psychologist. However, I am also open to working in hospitals or clinics. I honestly haven't made a decision yet since I'm still in my undergrad. As of right now, it may also depend on where I attend for my doctorate. For example, one school I will apply to has different concentrations I'm interested in, such as forensic emphasis.
As for "Are they fully funded programs?" I really couldn't find a lot of information on the school websites. Most, if not all, mentioned ways to get a tuition stipend (assistantships, etc.) I will be contacting the admissions offices before applying to ask about funding the degree.

Psy.d programs (most of them) simply lack research. They do not really provide any more clinical training than a phd program.

https://appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part3.aspx See question #32

In other words, its less of one thing and not more of the other.

Last edited:
Do whatever you can to get research experience and apply for fully-funded programs. If it takes an extra year or two or maybe even more, it would still be worth it in the long run.

Reactions: 1 users
Do whatever you can to get research experience and apply for fully-funded programs. If it takes an extra year or two or maybe even more, it would still be worth it in the long run.
I have considered taking a year off (More like 2 since I would attend in Fall 2018). I had no idea about any of this until a few weeks ago. With the short amount of time to get applications submitted and take the GRE, this may be the best option. I will be talking to my advisor on Monday and another psychology professor sometime next week. I will definitely ask their opinions. I'm also going to find out about any research opportunities I could possibly be a part of. I was going to be a research assistant this semester, but the professor cancelled the study. Taking a year or 2 off would also allow me to get a job and pay off undergrad loans.

I've been studying using Kaplan study books, and you can download their GRE flashcard app to study vocab.

I totally agree with smalltownpsych. Paying off undergrad loans before tacking on more grad school loans sounds like a good plan to me even if it takes a year or two or three. I took a couple years between my masters' and PhD programs to do the same, and spent a full year researching the programs, studying for GRE, honing my essays, etc. It pays to do the legwork to fully research programs before applying- the application and interview process is expensive, it's a big decision, and you don't want to waste time and money applying to schools willy-nilly - you want them to be a good fit. Considering most of the deadlines are in December (if I recall correctly) I would be hesitant to apply this round- but doesn't mean you couldn't do it successfully. Just sounds like a very tight turnaround time to do adequate research and prep.

I totally agree with smalltownpsych. Paying off undergrad loans before tacking on more grad school loans sounds like a good plan to me even if it takes a year or two or three. I took a couple years between my masters' and PhD programs to do the same, and spent a full year researching the programs, studying for GRE, honing my essays, etc. It pays to do the legwork to fully research programs before applying- the application and interview process is expensive, it's a big decision, and you don't want to waste time and money applying to schools willy-nilly - you want them to be a good fit. Considering most of the deadlines are in December (if I recall correctly) I would be hesitant to apply this round- but doesn't mean you couldn't do it successfully. Just sounds like a very tight turnaround time to do adequate research and prep.
My biggest issue was that I was looking at online psych degrees until last month. No one told me they weren't good, so I didn't get to take the GRE this year. As you said, most of the application deadlines are in December (usually the 1st). For me, it'll be too rushed. My psych advisor and parents are saying wait on the doctorate. I've decided I'll get my master's in counseling and go from there.

My biggest issue was that I was looking at online psych degrees until last month. No one told me they weren't good, so I didn't get to take the GRE this year. As you said, most of the application deadlines are in December (usually the 1st). For me, it'll be too rushed. My psych advisor and parents are saying wait on the doctorate. I've decided I'll get my master's in counseling and go from there.
Be cautioned with Counseling MAs. It's my understanding that they are less research focused, and if your end goal is still to pursue a PhD, I would recommend either taking time off for a RA position, or even doing a more research-oriented masters. My two cents, as always take it with a grain of salt.

Be cautioned with Counseling MAs. It's my understanding that they are less research focused, and if your end goal is still to pursue a PhD, I would recommend either taking time off for a RA position, or even doing a more research-oriented masters. My two cents, as always take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks! I'm going to try and get some research experience before I go into a doctorate program. I'm more interested in applying to PsyD programs, but there is at least one PhD program that I am interested in. My current plan is to get a masters in clinical mental health counseling and get licensed as an LPC. I figure this will allow me to have a little bit of time to get work and possibly research experience. As of right now, I'm not too concerned with getting into a PhD or PsyD program. However, I do you still want to pursue this in the future even if I have to wait a few years.

Thanks! I'm going to try and get some research experience before I go into a doctorate program. I'm more interested in applying to PsyD programs, but there is at least one PhD program that I am interested in.

Why are you more interested in PsyD programs than PhD ones?

My current plan is to get a masters in clinical mental health counseling and get licensed as an LPC. I figure this will allow me to have a little bit of time to get work and possibly research experience. As of right now, I'm not too concerned with getting into a PhD or PsyD program. However, I do you still want to pursue this in the future even if I have to wait a few years.

As fiinch pointed out, MAs in counseling are going to be more focused on practice and have relatively little research orientation. If you plan on pursuing a doctorate in clinical psychology, you'll need research experience, preferably with evidence of productivity, e.g. publications and presentations, to get admitted. I don't think you'd get much research experience in a counseling MA program or by working as an LPC.

If you decide to pursue a doctorate in counseling psych, the MA in counseling and LPC experience would likely be worth your while, as it appears that it more typical than not to enter counseling PhD programs with them.

Why are you more interested in PsyD programs than PhD ones?

As fiinch pointed out, MAs in counseling are going to be more focused on practice and have relatively little research orientation. If you plan on pursuing a doctorate in clinical psychology, you'll need research experience, preferably with evidence of productivity, e.g. publications and presentations, to get admitted. I don't think you'd get much research experience in a counseling MA program or by working as an LPC.

If you decide to pursue a doctorate in counseling psych, the MA in counseling and LPC experience would likely be worth your while, as it appears that it more typical than not to enter counseling PhD programs with them.
I'm more interested in the PsyD because it seems to be less focused on research and more focused on practice. Also, out of the schools I'm looking at, only one has a PhD program. I would be open to getting a PhD, but I have little to no research experience. I took two research classes for my undergrad, but I'm not counting that since they were not real research experiments. If I can get research experience, I will definitely consider PhD programs. I was told by my psych advisor that some professors on my school's main campus will allow post-baccalaureate students to work with them as research assistants. I will be asking about this when I have a chance to talk with some of the professors.

I understand that I would not be able to get research experience as an LPC or with a counseling master's. As mentioned above, some professors at my school will allow post-baccalaureate students to be research assistants. Also, some of the PsyD programs I am looking at say research is recommended, but not required. I have talked to the admissions department for two schools and was told a counseling master's could lead to enrolling in a PsyD program.

I'm more interested in the PsyD because it seems to be less focused on research and more focused on practice. Also, out of the schools I'm looking at, only one has a PhD program. I would be open to getting a PhD, but I have little to no research experience. I took two research classes for my undergrad, but I'm not counting that since they were not real research experiments. If I can get research experience, I will definitely consider PhD programs. I was told by my psych advisor that some professors on my school's main campus will allow post-baccalaureate students to work with them as research assistants. I will be asking about this when I have a chance to talk with some of the professors.

I understand that I would not be able to get research experience as an LPC or with a counseling master's. As mentioned above, some professors at my school will allow post-baccalaureate students to be research assistants. Also, some of the PsyD programs I am looking at say research is recommended, but not required. I have talked to the admissions department for two schools and was told a counseling master's could lead to enrolling in a PsyD program.

What do you mean by:"focus"?

The largest data set collected on this (that I know of) does NOT suggest individuals pursing a PsyD get more clinical experience/exposure prior to degree matriculation. They actually have slightly less...at least on average.

Note: This may be different from the reality of the 80s and 90s, where PsyD programs probably did provide more clinical experience than your average clinical PhD . program. Times have changed.

Last edited:
What do you mean by:"focus"?

The largest data set collected on this (that I know of) does NOT suggest individuals pursing a PsyD get more clinical experience/exposure prior to degree matriculation. They actually have slightly less...at least on average.

Note: This may be different from the reality of the 80s and 90s, where PsyD programs probably did provide more clinical experience than your average clinical PhD . program. Times have changed.

Yeah, this is why I always ask people who post that they are more interested in PsyD programs than PhD ones. There seems to be a lot of misinformation and misconceptions out there about these programs. I'm curious if the PsyD programs themselves, especially those at FSPS, are perpetuating these to facilitate their existence and enrollment.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and misconceptions out there about these programs. I'm curious if the PsyD programs themselves, especially those at FSPS, are perpetuating these to facilitate their existence and enrollment.

From what I've read, a lot of them do seem to perpetuate this myth. Lately they also seem to emphasize trendy or emerging fields to make it look as though they're on the cutting edge and the traditional programs are out of touch. The latter might actually be a fair criticism in some cases, but it has nothing to do with the overall training quality you get from the FSPS programs.