SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

GRE Help?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by coloradocutter, Apr 24, 2007.

1. coloradocutter

coloradocutter Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Ok, I need some advice on the GRE. I have got to get my GRE Quant. score higher. I work all of the time - more than 60, usually 80 hours a week. I used the books and studied for a few weeks. 8 years after undergrad, with a few weeks of studying, I scored an 1150, with a 6 on writing. The quantitative portion was my main problem and in general the CBT. I think that I need to have more hands-on to focus on studying - the books were hard for me. I read all day for a living.

So, here are my options, and I'd like your thoughts. If you have any experience with any of these or know other forums where I could get advice, please let me know.

- Kaplan/Power Prep (Score? not sure of name) express courses around $390
    - Kaplan classroom ( I think this one would be really hard for me to fit in) and its 1000 bucks.
    - Kaplan premium online - around $900
    - Tutoring for Kaplan/Power Prep (Score) - around $120

I guess I could locate a private tutor - live in Boulder area.

Thanks for any thoughts. I'd like to get my score up 1000 pts if possible.

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sicologia

sicologia 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Chicago, Illinois, USA

I'm sorry, but I don't think that's possible. Your score would be over 2000!

4. GiantSteps

GiantSteps 5+ Year Member

Feb 7, 2007
    You have written previously that you are doing well as a lawyer. So spend some money on a math tutor. I am sure the individual attention of a math tutor would be better than a course. However, just make sure that the tutor knows the GRE math and knows how the test works - you need to learn specific types of math problem solving not a general math review. It can be a tutor from an area school or from a GRE prep company. Of course, the GRE prep companies usually offer a guarantee that if your score does not impove by a certain stated amount then you get your money back.

5. psychplease

psychplease 5+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2007
  6. amy203

amy203 5+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2006
    I had the same problem as psychplease with the Kaplan class - most of the people in my class were there for the verbal and were way ahead of me on math. I remember that there were several engineering majors whose goal was to get a perfect score on the quant! I had a pretty good teacher, but he couldn't coordinate his lesson plans for 10 different skill levels.

I would also go with the tutor. I reached a point with my quant where my score was stuck around a 500 and I had no idea how to pull it up. I had studied for close to a year and I just couldn't pull it up any higher. The best thing about my tutor was that he was able to "diagnose" my main problems and then work intensely with me in order to figure out to get around these problems. I don't think you can get that from a class.

It shouldn't be hard to find someone in the Boulder area. Not only do you have multiple universities, but the high school kids in that area are also pretty intense - you should be able to find someone who does both SAT and GRE tutoring. Start by googling "GRE math tutor Boulder"

7. Maze

Maze

Apr 24, 2007
    :) That's what I am a dentist so very poor maths..but private tutoring helped me greatly . My score on GRE was 1480 (v-720 ; Q - 760)..

8. ahhhh

ahhhh 2+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2007
    most of the prep class teachers are just students who have taken the test and done very well, some of my friends are tutors -- You might be able to find someone who previously taught the class and would know all the good tips and at the same time be great at math -- even if you can't do that just hire a tutor don't do the prep class its not worth it.