GRE scores on the AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm filling out my AMCAS and I noticed that it gives a place for other graduate test scores. I took the GRE about 5 yrs ago (I have a Master's degree), so should I go ahead and include that? I don't really understand the purpose or if it would help/hurt me. My scores were solid (low 700s on the general test and high 700s on the subject test), but they weren't stellar or anything. Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I'm filling out my AMCAS and I noticed that it gives a place for other graduate test scores. I took the GRE about 5 yrs ago (I have a Master's degree), so should I go ahead and include that? I don't really understand the purpose or if it would help/hurt me. My scores were solid (low 700s on the general test and high 700s on the subject test), but they weren't stellar or anything. Thanks so much!!

It is for MD/PhD peoples...

I'm not familiar with the GRE, but if your scores are solid, go ahead and list them. To me, it would show that you're good at a lot of different things*.

* Things defined as tests that can be expressed as acronyms.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think it is necessary. I had a 800 on quant and 760 on verbal and I listed it. Pretty sure it didn't affect anything, as I wasn't even MD/PhD. But it certainly didn't hurt me, I think. If you did really well, it can't hurt to list it.

And I'm pretty sure MD/PhD (or maybe just MSTP) doesn't require GRE scores.

I really don't think it is necessary. I had a 800 on quant and 760 on verbal and I listed it. Pretty sure it didn't affect anything, as I wasn't even MD/PhD. But it certainly didn't hurt me, I think. If you did really well, it can't hurt to list it.

thats one of the highest GRE scores I have heard of to date (esp the verbal). beast

Er thanks, I just realized it was kind of pointless to list my scores for the OP (and makes me look egoistical, which was not the intent).. lol sorry about that.

I would think that if anything, high scores on the GRE with a high score on the MCAT basically suggests that you're a good test-taker. Might be a small factor since well, you're basically taking 3+ more standardized tests on the way to board certification (though they are of different nature)

It seems pointless to list GREs.

damn, my friend got 800 on math and 720 on verbal and got into the top programs in the country for bioengineering. i'm sure future grad students would love to have your score.

thats one of the highest GRE scores I have heard of to date (esp the verbal). beast

My brother-in-law's fiancée aced every section (800/800/6). She's now in an economics PhD at MIT, turned down Princeton and Harvard.

I didn't put my GRE or my GMAT on my AMCAS. I wasn't applying to an MD/PhD or MD/MBA program so I didn't include those scores. By my transcripts it was obvious I must have taken those exams. Leaving them off my app didn't hurt me at all and it didn't come up at interviews.

Yeah, I took the GRE my senior year when I was strongly considering going to grad school for BME. I liked Hopkins, Duke and Penn's PhD programs. Long story short, I decided I didn't want to go to grad school for BME and so I became pre-med after I graduated :laugh:

Like Cap says, I also didn't get asked about it at interviews so I don't think anyone puts any point of emphasis on it because it's not really a standard test on ppls' applications. But I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Not a bad verbal at all
2.gif

Yeah, definitely not required for the vast majority of MD/PhD programs. The most notable exceptions are the schools that allow social sciences PhDs-they usually require GRE if you're looking at their social sciences programs. Also I think some engineering MD/PhDs require it, but I'm not sure about that

Well - you guys did really well... but what about people who got in the 500s/600s. Then better not to list?