Gre !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Am thinking of giving my GRE on the 24th of feb,Am right now studying vocabulary,just wanted to know from people who have already given the test HOW BAD IS THE VOCABULARY PART??
I have worked out the math portion and am o.k with it.
Rajjuo77 I'm getting my gpa evaluated from wes( coz most of the colleges r asking for an wes evaluation )

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that vocabulary is harder than math (and I'm a vocab person!), but you can get a lower score on it and still be in a higher percentile (my verbal score was 90 points lower than my math score, but my verbal percentile was 5 points higher than math). Also, MPH programs tend to be more interested in your quantitative abilities, so it probably is not worth being too anxious about.

If you've taken the SATs, the GRE is basically a level harder.

I didn't study for the GRE at all, other than take one practice test on the CD that they send you.

Math was super easy, but then again, I'm more of a quantitative person. Verbal has always been my worse end, and without studying, I scored 120 points less than I did on my SATs...

So yeah, study those vocabs! =)

Unlike the writing section on the NEW SATs though, the writing section on the GREs is just one essay scored up to 6.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, my verbal score was 200 points lower than my math score!! =) But same with you, when I talked to econ major advisor, he said that my score was fine. They care more about the math score and only want you to demonstrate that you're not completely writing-handicapped.

In his words, "You're obviously not a ******, so you don't need to retake it."

I would say that vocabulary is harder than math (and I'm a vocab person!), but you can get a lower score on it and still be in a higher percentile (my verbal score was 90 points lower than my math score, but my verbal percentile was 5 points higher than math). Also, MPH programs tend to be more interested in your quantitative abilities, so it probably is not worth being too anxious about.

As everyone has said, it is much more difficult to score high on verbal than on math. For perspective, the 90th percentile for verbal is around 640/800 but 780/800 for math. It is quite common for people going into the sciences to have a 100-200 point split between the two sections. The best preparation for vocab is to memorize 500-1000 of the most frequently used words, many of which are synonymous.

I am terrible at verbal but I think you should be fine if you memorize all those vocab words. My math score was almost 200 points higher than verbal! (I hate math and am not a very big fan of verbal, although I scored very well on the writing portion of the exam).

me too! i suck horribly at math and thought id do well on verbal, however i scored 230 points higher on my quant than my verbal.

do lots and lots of practice and know your words well..all you can do is study as many vocab words as possible.

Hi everyone,
Am thinking of giving my GRE on the 24th of feb,Am right now studying vocabulary,just wanted to know from people who have already given the test HOW BAD IS THE VOCABULARY PART??
I have worked out the math portion and am o.k with it.
Rajjuo77 I'm getting my gpa evaluated from wes( coz most of the colleges r asking for an wes evaluation )

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I too am BAD in math but now after going thru'& work'g out the maths portion in the GRE prep books,I am feeling much better but the vocab's r killing me,its sooooooooo difficult to memorize the words & after an hour or so my brain just shuts down.
rajju077,ECE gives a lower gpa then WES(my 2 cents),
ECE doc's r 1} transcripts,2)Degree certificate,think I sent my internship completion & attempt certificates also(not so sure abt my attempt certificate) ,these r to be sent directly to ECE by u
as for the WES u need to send Degree and internship certificate and the university shd send the transcripts.
both the services take app 2 weeks.

Last edited:
found out abt the gpa differance while go'g thru' the dental forums in this site.the wes web site is www.wes.org/com,they give u an id # and will e-mail abt any change in status(u can also go & check ur status),u can send ur provisional degree certificate,they need ur internship certificate and as for the transcript,u can e-mail them and check it out.
hope this helps...

found out abt the gpa differance while go'g thru' the dental forums in this site.the wes web site is www.wes.org/com,they give u an id # and will e-mail abt any change in status(u can also go & check ur status),u can send ur provisional degree certificate,they need ur internship certificate and as for the transcript,u can e-mail them and check it out.
hope this helps...

thanks for the help.

Last edited: