Gre?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRCM

DRCM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do some pod schools accept the GRE in lieu of the MCAT? I understand the MCAT and the DAT; at least they contain science sections. But the GRE only tests verbal and quantitative reasoning, with a writing section. Isn't that SOO much easier than the MCAT?

Also, what score is needed on the sections of the GRE for pod schools (i.e. Temple)?

The undergrad college I'm at wants everyone to take and pass the GRE before graduation, so if I take it I might as well send it to a pod school too, along with my MCAT scores. Can I send both scores to pod schools? If not, I'd just send the MCAT scores. The GRE really sounds like a joke..

Members don't see this ad.

It's not the general GRE that some schools accept...........it's the Subject Specific GRE exam, which I heard most schools only take the Biology GRE subject exam ( I don't think any schools will take the standard 'general GRE exam,' which they shouldn't bc of the lack of science tested on it)

It's not the general GRE that some schools accept...........it's the Subject Specific GRE exam, which I heard most schools only take the Biology GRE subject exam ( I don't think any schools will take the standard 'general GRE exam,' which they shouldn't bc of the lack of science tested on it)
Actually, I was accepted to AZPod on my general GRE scores. I had already taken the MCAT the week before my interview, and I hadn't gotten my scores back by the time they told me I was accepted, but I had taken the general GRE and that worked for me. But like Dr. Gangrene said, it looks like next year is the MCAT only, and I think that that is a good choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I was accepted to AZPod on my general GRE scores. I had already taken the MCAT the week before my interview, and I hadn't gotten my scores back by the time they told me I was accepted, but I had taken the general GRE and that worked for me. But like Dr. Gangrene said, it looks like next year is the MCAT only, and I think that that is a good choice.

Yes, I heard its the general GRE that's accepted.. What grade did you get on your GRE?

And is it really MCAT only next year? I didn't hear that...

Why do some pod schools accept the GRE in lieu of the MCAT? I understand the MCAT and the DAT; at least they contain science sections. But the GRE only tests verbal and quantitative reasoning, with a writing section. Isn't that SOO much easier than the MCAT?

Also, what score is needed on the sections of the GRE for pod schools (i.e. Temple)?

The undergrad college I'm at wants everyone to take and pass the GRE before graduation, so if I take it I might as well send it to a pod school too, along with my MCAT scores. Can I send both scores to pod schools? If not, I'd just send the MCAT scores. The GRE really sounds like a joke..
GRE is a joke. You will probably score perfect (800) or very close to it in the quant section... 20% of engineering majors and roughly 5-10% of science majors do every year. A perfect quant is basically expected for most decent engineering and physical sciences grad programs. Verbal is a lot more subjective, but will still almost surely score above average.

I submitted both MCAT and GRE just because I had taken both (took GRE for various MS degree backup options), but you are right that GRE alone should not be considered acceptable at a clinical medical doctorate program when a much better test, the MCAT, is available.

Last edited:
I submitted both MCAT and GRE just because I had taken both (took GRE for various MS degree backup options), but you are right that GRE alone should not be considered acceptable at a clinical medical doctorate program when a much better test, the MCAT, is available.
I was in the same situation as you (took the GRE for some backup MS programs) and couldn't agree more. The GRE is a fine test for various MS programs that don't require a large science background, but it wasn't designed as an admittance test for doctoral health fields. The MCAT is much more applicable and a much better test of pertinent knowledge in this case.