• Albert Einstein

Votes: 37 21.6%

• Total voters

stoppushingit

stupid savant
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
of the ones in the poll, which would you say is excellent but least recognized by the lay person (say...your grandmother)?

About the Ads

VandyXGirl

Doppleganger
10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2007
Ca$hville
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
After reading my list, I had a lot of people ask me, "University of Michigan why would you apply there?" I usually responded with "Um, it is only one of the top 10 research medical schools in the country." That seemed to work in convincing them UMich was an amazing school. I would say this situation could be true of a lot of the state schools, that people outside of medicine might not recognize how highly they are respected and recognized within the medical community.

FemalesCANTDriv

LMAO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Where I go to school
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
dude... ppl dont know anything about baylor other than it's in waco and they had a bball coach try to cover up a murder of one of his players....

PS: i know that the med school is in houston and in no way affiliated with the undergrad... therein lies the irony

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
After reading my list, I had a lot of people ask me, "University of Michigan why would you apply there?" I usually responded with "Um, it is only one of the top 10 research medical schools in the country." That seemed to work in convincing them UMich was an amazing school. I would say this situation could be true of a lot of the state schools, that people outside of medicine might not recognize how highly they are respected and recognized within the medical community.

In state schools are very well known in that state. University of Michigan and Wayne State University are very well respected in Michigan. Not only that, but U of M plays advertisements for its med school multiple times during each football game they have. WSU is especially well known in SE Michigan since a lot of Wayne grads stay in the area and practice.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
People from Michigan think HIGHLY of UofM, probably up there with Harvard. Wayne State is highly respected in Michigan as far as medical school goes. MSU on the other hand gets the wrath handed to them. Maybe that is because I am from the Metro Detroit area but who knows.

VandyXGirl

Doppleganger
10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2007
Ca$hville
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
People from Michigan think HIGHLY of UofM, probably up there with Harvard. Wayne State is highly respected in Michigan as far as medical school goes. MSU on the other hand gets the wrath handed to them. Maybe that is because I am from the Metro Detroit area but who knows.

Oh, I definitely think very highly of Michigan and I'm not even from Michigan! (and I have absolutely no personal connection to the University) I may even think better of them than Harvard because their football team is awesome! :laugh: side note: Can we please not start a OSU/Florida/USC/Mich football bash session? ok, thanks.

maestro1625

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

yeah the whole primary care/rural thing really does kill their rep a bit. Though I'm from the Flint area where everyone is clueless anyway.

About the Ads

maestro1625

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This might be a midwestern thing, but for me the State schools' name recognition helps them out quite a bit, since in general the Michigans and the Indianas of the world are usually the best schools in thier respective states. It's the standalone med schools that tend to cause people to tilt thier heads... places like Rush, etc.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Lol this thread reminds me of the thread earlier on about What is the most underrated allopathic school- to which a poster said, the answer is probably the one you got into lol

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I had never heard of Baylor until they came to my school to talk with pre-meds. Also, I have had to explian to my family why I think so highly of OHSU.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Oh, I definitely think very highly of Michigan and I'm not even from Michigan! (and I have absolutely no personal connection to the University) I may even think better of them than Harvard because their football team is awesome! :laugh: side note: Can we please not start a OSU/Florida/USC/Mich football bash session? ok, thanks.

Everyone knows they pay there players regardless of the sport (Cough Chris Webber).

gsmithers68

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I was talking to my Grandma at her nursing home (she has dimentia) and this is I swear... how the conversation went regarding my interest in Mayo.

Me: I really loved Mayo. I think that is where I'd go if I had a choice.
Grandma: Is that that school named after Mayonnaise? God **** it. At least you could go to a school named after a more reputable condiment.
Brother: (Sometimes I think my grandma's mental health is contagious) I like Mayonnaise.
Me: (I'm horrible and play along) Ya well I kinda liked the Mayo Model of Care... see by propagating mayonnaise consumption they maintain a high patient flow sustaining a large profitable business, which I could get involved with by going there.
Grandma: Well at least they must have good tuna salad. Well that makes sense honey. I hope it works out.
Me: (Kiss grandma goodbye and take off for the day.)
Brother: (as we are leaving after realizing my sarcasm) you're a jackass.
Me: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is just one example, but I think there are a lot of people outside the midwest who don't know about Mayo.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I always thought Mayo Clinic was the top medical school in the nation before I actually looked at the rankings. Maybe it is because I am from the midwest but I thought Mayo was THE place to go.

Xibye

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
From what I know about Mayo's ranking, it's lower than it should be because the rank number is generated largely taking into account NIH grants based on the idea that more money = better research. In Mayo's case, they get TONS of money (and I meant TONS) and much of it is in private donations (resulting in less need for Mayo researchers to fight for NIH money). In the end, the simple ranking system does not take all of this money into account and so Mayo falls lower on the list. The rank for Mayo is therefore not representative is is largely underestimated. Should be much higher than it appears.

BTW - I'm from California, not the Midwest. Mayo is awesome. And no, I have not been accepted there so I am not biased. :(

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My Chinese friends think that the school doesn't have a clinic associated with it... since "mayo" in Chinese is something along the lines of "don't have."
hahaha

cantonese my friend

:thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh:

About the Ads

Dianyla

in denial
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
pyrois said:
My Chinese friends think that the school doesn't have a clinic associated with it... since "mayo" in Chinese is something along the lines of "don't have."
hahaha

cantonese my friend

:thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh:
Don't know about Cantonese, but "mei you" (which could sound like Mayo to a gringo) means "don't have" or "isn't there" in Mandarin. :)

NonTradMed

Perpetual Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2004
Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Duke is least recognized as a med school?! Since when?? Even people outside of the medical field has heard of the school b/c of the school's sports teams.

I'd vote for WashU, it's not even known that well in the midwest among people who haven't grown up in the midwest area. I think the fact that it was left out also indicates it's underrated status. :D

Guile

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
dude... ppl dont know anything about baylor other than it's in waco and they had a bball coach try to cover up a murder of one of his players....

PS: i know that the med school is in houston and in no way affiliated with the undergrad... therein lies the irony
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It's even worse when you're not from Texas.

Friend: So you're going to Baylor, huh?
Me: Yeah, I'm pretty pumped.
Friend: So you're going to be a Bear now. That's cool. Baylor's an okay school. I heard it's kind of a religious school though.
Me: No, uh, that's Baylor UNIVERSITY, in Waco. They're not affiliated. And Baylor College of Medicine is a top 10 school, ranked higher than Columbia.
Friend: *eyes get really wide* Oh, really? Wow...Where's Baylor then?
Me: In Houston.
Friend: Wow, I had no idea. I thought you were going to the boonies.

Yeah, so I get to look forward to this for the next several months until I graduate. Thank goodness people in the medical community know about it.

The Buff

The Big Cat
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2006
Right behind you...
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I love how the poll is neck-and-neck between just about every school. I guess it just goes to show that there are a lot of great schools out there.

FemalesCANTDriv

LMAO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Where I go to school
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ya milk... either way you look at it, baylor has no street cred

as for mayo, i always figured it was a great school cuz you hear about it so much on 20/20 and dateline nbc and stuff... thats how i knew about hopkins and mayo as a kid... thats just me tho...

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Why are you even talking about Mayo? Mayo Clinic??? Hello????

I picked UWash cuz I'm on the east coast and no one knows that it's a top tier school. I would also say UCSF but that's not on the list....

byong_soo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
should Duke and UW be on that list? They are both Top 10 schools in both primary and research, and that's enough credit, no?

W

Wizard of Oz

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It's even worse when you're not from Texas.

Friend: So you're going to Baylor, huh?
Me: Yeah, I'm pretty pumped.
Friend: So you're going to be a Bear now. That's cool. Baylor's an okay school. I heard it's kind of a religious school though.
Me: No, uh, that's Baylor UNIVERSITY, in Waco. They're not affiliated. And Baylor College of Medicine is a top 10 school, ranked higher than Columbia.
Friend: *eyes get really wide* Oh, really? Wow...Where's Baylor then?
Me: In Houston.
Friend: Wow, I had no idea. I thought you were going to the boonies.

Yeah, so I get to look forward to this for the next several months until I graduate. Thank goodness people in the medical community know about it.

Ditto. Baylor University and Baylor College of Medicine are not the same place. While I'm at it, Baylor Hospital in Dallas is not connected to the medical school in Houston. BCM has somewhat of a connection to Rice.

I read the options, and what I see is that it says more about the OP than the nation as a whole.

FemalesCANTDriv

LMAO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Where I go to school
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ya upenn and pitt... and ucsf too i agree with that

ucsf
washu
upenn
baylor
pitt
even hopkins

dude... i love it when ppl who are total n00bs say well why didnt you apply to med school at princeton or something.... :smuggrin: :thumbdown: fail

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
In state schools are very well known in that state.

YES! People in Richmond seem to think that MCV/VCU is one of the best medical schools in the country. While it's a great school and a great program, it's nowhere near the top. When I tell people it's probably not even ranked in the top 50% of schools, they are shocked.

I think it's funny how people have an automatic positive bias to something based solely on their proximity to it.

pasta man

noodly goodness
10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Mayo is extremely polarized - some people know right away that it's amazing, and others will say, "What's Mayo???"

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
YES! People in Richmond seem to think that MCV/VCU is one of the best medical schools in the country. While it's a great school and a great program, it's nowhere near the top. When I tell people it's probably not even ranked in the top 50% of schools, they are shocked.

I think it's funny how people have an automatic positive bias to something based solely on their proximity to it.

:thumbup: So true. The extent to which people personalze things is mind-boggling. Just look at some posts on SDN for example...

"My school is so hard and everyone else's is easy to get a 4.0"
"My LORs and ECs are the best around"
"Why am I not getting interviews? I'm the best candidate there is..."

soeagerun2or

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
I'm gonna LOL at Pitt because they're winning and I didn't even apply there!

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
ya upenn and pitt... and ucsf too i agree with that

ucsf
washu
upenn
baylor
pitt
even hopkins

dude... i love it when ppl who are total n00bs say well why didnt you apply to med school at princeton or something.... :smuggrin: :thumbdown: fail

We might as well just go to Harvard and not have to worry about this...

There, I said it. :)

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I didn't even realize Vanderbilt was a good school in anything until last year (being in the south doesn't help)... and Emory didn't even exist on my radar. It's all regional. Michigan seems to get all it's respect from the Midwest and East Coast, but doesn't pull any weight in the South and west.

BTW... University of Michigan is top 10 in everything :smuggrin:

Guile

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
Another manual vote for UCSF. No one on the east coast knows of it. I think another thing that hurts it is the fact they don't have an undergrad...so no football team for people to know of.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.