great experience. not so great gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hchang9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my info:

-3.3GPA
-currently doing a Harvard post bacc program
-7 years as a air force medic
-worked in ER, ICU, peds, surgery, derm, radiology, and a lot of other departments
-was the EMT program coordinator for my base hospital
-was part of the national and international emergency relief team

Let's just say that I don't perform any better or worse and maintain a 3.3gpa during my postbacc program and get a 30 on my MCAT. I can get letters of recommendation from a lot of places including the CA surgeon general.

What do you guys think of my chances of acceptance? I'm scared my GPA will destroy any hope I have of getting in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

My perspective will be mainly directed at your chances for MD:

I think your chances are a lot better than you think they are, provided you get higher grades in your postbac, so please don't settle for more "3.3." This is your opportunity to show adcomms that you can perform well in the sciences and have a chance of surviving the science-intense curriculum of a med school.

As a nontrad, the grades you earn now will be weighted more heavily than your undergrad grades by many med schools. You have extraordinary volunteer service to your country and amazing WOW-level experience and leadership. But allo adcomms won't give one of their precious med school seats to someone who doesn't have much chance of flourishing in their school. Besides the postbac GPA, your only other hurdle will be the MCAT, which in your case will also need to be strong. But interestingly, if the MCAT is really high, like 34+, some MD schools will still be attracted by your potential, despite a 3.3 overall GPA.

All that said, DO schools are more academically forgiving and will substitute grades if you retake a low one. You are highly likely with a 3.3 (uGPA and postbac)/30 to get an acceptance.

Here's my info:

-3.3GPA
-currently doing a Harvard post bacc program
-7 years as a air force medic
-worked in ER, ICU, peds, surgery, derm, radiology, and a lot of other departments
-was the EMT program coordinator for my base hospital
-was part of the national and international emergency relief team

Let's just say that I don't perform any better or worse and maintain a 3.3gpa during my postbacc program and get a 30 on my MCAT. I can get letters of recommendation from a lot of places including the CA surgeon general.

What do you guys think of my chances of acceptance? I'm scared my GPA will destroy any hope I have of getting in somewhere.

i envy ur ECs.