1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Great MCAT score, great GPA, excellent this and that, but did not get in.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DaffyDoc, Jul 31, 2006.

1. DaffyDoc

DaffyDoc Member
    5+ Year Member

Who here has excellent stats, but did not become accepted? If you don't mind, can you tell us what went wrong? Was it the interview, LORs, etc?

Or, if you know of someone who has gone through this (really good to excellent stats/ECs/research, but did not get in), feel free to share.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

i know someone who had a 3.8 gpa from berkeley and a 39 mcat and didn't get in anywhere...it must have been the interview!

4. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    I bet it was personality (interview.)

5. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sometimes applying late totally f's over people who would have got in no problem if they applied early. I know two former August applicants (Aug MCATers) that re-applied early in '06 with same stats and got in.

6. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I only got in one place... I applied really late and held on to my secondaries for sometimes over a month. The only places I got interviews were the places I got the secondaries out quick.

I had no idea what I was doing... however, I am very happy the way things turned out.

7. Gabujabu

Gabujabu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I've also heard that it is VERY important that you have clinical experience. The following person (42MCAT, 4.0GPA) did not have any, and she almost did not get in:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=2081

I don't think it was necessarily the interview, as she was rejected post-secondary @ a lot of places that would likely have interviewed her if she had clinical experience.

8. dittozip

dittozip Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

i know someone else who has a 42 and this is his 3rd time applying. mybe the score is too off the charts?

9. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not as high as the others, but I had a 3.95 GPA with a 27 MCAT last application cycle and I didn't get in anywhere for at least two reasons: 1) little clinical experience and 2) applied late in the cycle.

It's simply impossible that interviewers didn't like my personality....lol ;)

10. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    She also didn't quite understand the word "safety"

11. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No such thing as too off the charts.

12. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Lol, true, I didn't notice that the first time. Still, if you had a 42 and a 4.0 would you bother applying to "safety" schools? Almost any schools SHOULD be a safety with those stats.

13. Severus

Severus FTSM!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The links in my signature pretty much tell my story.

14. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have a 32 and a 3.49. Not mind-blowing, but you'd think...

I applied outstandingly early and this is my second round.

The snags:

I have a touchy academic past (came out of a 6 year BA/MD program). The program was a terrible fit so I pulled out, but you really have to handle that one carefully. Say the program was bad, they think you won't accept responsibility for your actions... fall on your sword too much and say it was all your fault, they think it'll happen again if they let you in.

^This killed my early GPA btw. I had a 3.8 Post-Bac.

This tends to make interviews rough. I carefully word my responses in my essays but then if the interviewer presses the issue, I can't stick to a carefully worded response. This can sometimes lead to trouble.

Anyway... I think I've finally got it down, this is an expensive learning process though.

15. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

How does finding a person who got great everything but didn't get in help? That would only get us more worried o_O

16. durfen

durfen I see plans within plans
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How did the word 'accepted' suddenly become a state of being? As in 'becoming accepted', versus 'being accepted'.

17. narc

2+ Year Member

Too much thinking :sleep: :sleep:

18. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated
    10+ Year Member

Wouldn't call anything I have "great" and considering that I applied to mostly mid-tier schools and I did apply early, I am surprised somewhat by the responses from my state schools.

19. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Before correcting someone else's grammar, you might want to check your own.

20. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger
    7+ Year Member

i have a good gpa, decent mcat, good EC's, and felt that i should have been accepted by now....but no, i'm applying again.

i am a very shy kid, so my nervousness most likely came across very clearly in my interviews. i know i have to work on this, and have been trying hard to do so. however, both drexel and GW interviewers told me it was great, and i got waitlisted and rejected, respectively.

i think now that i have had a bunch of interviews, i will do much better this time around. hopefully i can get some mock interviews in soon.

21. Brick

Brick Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I work as a student advisor in a pre health professions office and the one piece of advice i can give anyone who is worried is apply early i know its late to be giving this advice but i have seen a lot of people with really solid stats for the Texas schools and they either took the mcat late with great gpa's or waited all summer to hit submit. Even if you had less than stellar grades and mcats if you apply early you would just axed earlier but waiting even with great stats hurts you. People still are just now coming into to meet me and asking me how to apply and if they are late starting i don't want to scare them but it takes a while to finally submit everything. But i haven't heard of anyone with a 40+ and high gpa not getting in

22. durfen

durfen I see plans within plans
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yes the lack of a question mark and the use of 'has'. I was not correcting his grammar, it is correct grammar....I think. Just remarking on the change.

23. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    although she had great stats, she also had no safety; they were all top schools...never a smart thing to do since at those schools it's often a crap shoot. She did have shadowing, not sur ehow much clinical experience that would involve.

24. MSTP?

MSTP? Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

25. yzf600

yzf600 Member
    5+ Year Member

I think good EC's are a must.....

Last year one of my best friends applied (early too; mid july) with the elusive 4.0gpa and 36 MCAT

....she only had 2 EC's: hospital volunteer and some one-day thing for a cancer walk. Aside from these, she worked part-time at a pharmacy.

recieved a few interviews, but that just got her on one waitlist.

Yea, good numbers are a must, but obviously not enough.

26. heeseop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hmmmmmm okkk im gettin worried :scared:

27. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This kind of thing scares me. Not quite as bad as two, but I'm not exactly the king of activities.

28. R.P. McMurphy

Pre-Medical
    Clinical experience is very important, but this is sort of a bad example. This person applied to probably the "best" or most competitive 7 schools in the nation. Had this person applied to more "safety" schools this clinical experience would appear to be much less impotant.

29. remo

remo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I asked my PI about this awhile ago because he has been on several adcomms and his response was "are they a**holes?" Being arrogant is probably a good way to get rejected with good numbers.

30. fleetgoddess

fleetgoddess Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i had a medical situation which made me very late in returning secondaries. I too only got interviews where i put my applications in quickly... so the shorter ones mostly

applying late screwed over a lot of people. I know somoene whose family member died and they didn't get interviews until our counselors started calling schools in january. he got in all three schools he interviewed at, but they didn't even interview until the counselors called schools where they already had established contacts.

31. nervousivy

nervousivy Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so am i...hence my user name :(

32. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Might as well have called this thread "Another reason to piss your pants." :rolleyes:
    -Dr. P.