Great News - 9 new schools planned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc15

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine​
Dothan, AL

Barry University
N. Miami Beach, FL

Campbell University
Buies Creek, NC

Homer G. Phillips College of Osteopathic Medicine​
St. Louis, MO

Marian University
Indianapolis, IN

Missouri Southern State University
Joplin, MO

Southwestern Pennsylvania​
Beaver, PA

University of Southern Nevada
Seeking to develop in Utah​

University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences​
St. Augustine, FL

Plus four schools are increasing their class sizes:​

Western CA, Western OR, LECOM-B, PCOM-GA​

Hooray! More spots available for me!!!!!:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine​
Dothan, AL

Barry University
N. Miami Beach, FL

Campbell University
Buies Creek, NC

St. Louis, MO

Marian University
Indianapolis, IN

Missouri Southern State University
Joplin, MO

Southwestern Pennsylvania​
Beaver, PA

University of Southern Nevada
Seeking to develop in Utah​

University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences​
St. Augustine, FL

Plus four schools are increasing their class sizes:​

Western CA, Western OR, LECOM-B, PCOM-GA​

it's not really great news. there are already too many osteopathic medical schools in this country; and a for profit one is up and running. If we continue to saturate and dilute our degree in this manner it's only a matter of time before quality is sacrificed. Do you know how difficult it is becoming to match a desirable residency as a DO? there already aren't enough DO spots to support the DO graduates; forcing many into less desirable MD residencies ( family, peds ) . Add 9 schools on top of that - what's that, another 1500 graduates in the match in 4-5 years? on top of schools increasing their size? not an ideal situation when competing with all of the MD kids + foreign grads.

Yeah agreed. This is not good news. We need more residencies, not more graduates. Let's not make the same mistake they've made with law schools please...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah agreed. This is not good news. We need more residencies, not more graduates. Let's not make the same mistake they've made with law schools please...

A DO attending told me the other day that we are the law schools of the future, it's only a matter of time before there are 20 new DO schools opening. MD's are not going to increase their residency spots by much, and DO programs don't have the funding or resources to do so --> What does this mean? More of us will go unmatched and be stuck in podunk community hospitals doing psychiatry/family/peds. Its only a matter of time - our DEAN even told us that it's coming to a bottleneck and we are lucky we will match before the sh** hits the fan. the problem is the lax rules the AOA has for accreditation; it's much much harder to open a MD school. This trend needs to stop.

This is actually really bad imo. Roughly 40% increase in schools with little increase in residency spots? Yaaaaaaaaaaaa this will not end well.

Isn't there a shortage a physicians? I also heard that primary care residencies in general are far from full and all aren't able to fill their spots even when you take FMG/IMG into account. Of course not many people want to do primary care but with more physicians that's what would happen right?

This is terrible terrible news. Im so embarrassed by our profession sometimes. What is the AOA/COCA thinking? One of the best ways to get rich quick in America is to open a DO school, call it "non-profit", and convince naive pre-meds to to pay you $50,000 a year. Your profit is guaranteed by government loans.

Also, we are really gonna dilute the quality of students coming in to our schools. Not everyone who wants to be a doctor should get in to medical school. Maybe we will be the new caribbean schools.

In summary:
-9 new schools
-0 new teaching hospitals
-0 new residency programs
-Many poor naive new physicians without a residency spot

That list isn't even complete.. OUCOM is opening an extension campus in Columbus by 2014. I wonder what other schools were left off there..

Missouri Southern is, from just glancing, the most reputable university sponsor, but I would really doubt their school happens now with the destruction in Joplin. There were osteopathic residencies in the hospital that was hit.

Isn't there a shortage a physicians? I also heard that primary care residencies in general are far from full and all aren't able to fill their spots even when you take FMG/IMG into account. Of course not many people want to do primary care but with more physicians that's what would happen right?

There is no physician shortage. There is a physician maldistribution. Besides what happens in 20 years when all the baby-boomers die? Better let massive amounts of immigrants in now so we have patients to take care of.

Missouri Southern is, from just glancing, the most reputable university sponsor, but I would really doubt their school happens now with the destruction in Joplin. There were osteopathic residencies in the hospital that was hit.

Actually Freeman Health in Joplin has the capacity to support a new school. The Alabama school is associated with a hospital as well so i was wrong in my assessment above.

Looked up the Joplin school.. It will just be a KCUMB branch campus using Missouri Southerns facilities. It will still have $40k tuition and be a private school even though Missouri Southern is a public school. Not really what osteopathic medicine needs, another branch campus. There has to be a moratorium on branch campuses soon.

St. Louis, MO

Just going to note: This COM isn't happening. Its already been nixed, but the AOA leaves it on its page since it's only reporting which ones are in the planning stages of building a school. This is in the planning stages about as much as Libyan rebels are in the planning stages of running Libya. It's never going to happen unless a few powerful people die first.

In summary:
-9 new schools

Agree fully with your thought on oversaturation, but there have been about 200 new AOA residency spots opened just this year. thats a like a bit under a 10% increase in total residency spots. People forget that the AOA is actually getting funding from the fed to fund lots of residency spots each year (this year was especially large and next year should be quite large as well). Now they are not enough spots, nor are most of them in fancy residency programs that are highly sought after, though some are. But they are new and they are being added and people will fill them (unless its FM or internship, then who knows if they get filled). We also have no new teaching hospitals for these as far as I know. So yea. Thats a big thing. kudos on that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just going to note: This COM isn't happening. Its already been nixed, but the AOA leaves it on its page since it's only reporting which ones are in the planning stages of building a school. This is in the planning stages about as much as Libyan rebels are in the planning stages of running Libya. It's never going to happen unless a few powerful people die first.

Agree fully with your thought on oversaturation, but there have been about 200 new AOA residency spots opened just this year. thats a like a bit under a 10% increase in total residency spots. People forget that the AOA is actually getting funding from the fed to fund lots of residency spots each year (this year was especially large and next year should be quite large as well). Now they are not enough spots, nor are most of them in fancy residency programs that are highly sought after, though some are. But they are new and they are being added and people will fill them (unless its FM or internship, then who knows if they get filled). We also have no new teaching hospitals for these as far as I know. So yea. Thats a big thing. kudos on that one.

Really? Where did you see this? Im not doubting your accuracy i would just like to see where you this info from.

Where will all the new students train during their clinical years? Right now DO schools are sending their students cross-country for training. There are schools where it is possible to make it through all 4 years without any significant inpatient exposure. Will the new schools be generating new research activities and contributing to the academic medical community? Will these new schools be creating enough new residencies spots to support their graduates?

As for residencies - there are new MD schools opening, and existing MD schools have increased their class size. In 2007, there were 15206 US MD students applying for the NRMP match. In 2011, there were 16559. In 2007, there were 1652 US DO students applying for the NRMP match. In 2011, there were 2178. In 2007, there were 2694 US IMG applying for the NRMP match, in 2011 there were 3769.

In 2007, there were a total of 34975 applicants for the NRMP match. In 2011, there were 37735.

Really? Where did you see this? Im not doubting your accuracy i would just like to see where you this info from.

Dr. Karen Nichols (AOA president) had lunch with me one day. Wasn't even on purpose, I just apparently looked friendly when she was doing the visit to our campus. I asked her about opening new residencies. She gave me a list of them. Its like ~25 new programs this year and another 16 or 17 next year. A few were 2 or 3 people per program, but most were 10+. She said it was a big coup. I personally critiqued her for not enough this year being in the northeast (and she sort of put me in my place by pointing out that 2012 is NJ heavy).

I may have written down the exact number of students in the new programs for 2011 and 2012 because I know I counted them, but not sure if I wrote it down anywhere. I'm sure there is a source of it on the AOA website somewhere because she had her little print out all prepped for such a question with her eating partner/personal secretary.

Here is a website link: http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/Pages/new-aoa-approved-ogme-programs.aspx

So you think it's a good thing to force people into primary care in two-bit hospitals? There's a reason those spots go unfilled.

What's the sense in opening another DO school (Barry U.) less than 20 miles from NSU in the ft. lauderdale/miami area. What's that going to mean for Nova's clinical sites and residency placement. Can't be good for NSU I would think.

Dr. Karen Nichols (AOA president) had lunch with me one day. Wasn't even on purpose, I just apparently looked friendly when she was doing the visit to our campus. I asked her about opening new residencies. She gave me a list of them. Its like ~25 new programs this year and another 16 or 17 next year. A few were 2 or 3 people per program, but most were 10+. She said it was a big coup. I personally critiqued her for not enough this year being in the northeast (and she sort of put me in my place by pointing out that 2012 is NJ heavy).

I may have written down the exact number of students in the new programs for 2011 and 2012 because I know I counted them, but not sure if I wrote it down anywhere. I'm sure there is a source of it on the AOA website somewhere because she had her little print out all prepped for such a question with her eating partner/personal secretary.

Here is a website link: http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/Pages/new-aoa-approved-ogme-programs.aspx

In fairness, I'm not a DO student, but I applied to DO schools and have spent substantial time with DOs as my own doctor is a DO. I researched all this stuff before choosing a school. That said, that's not really a good representation of widespread locations. The AOA is trying, but they're saturating the residencies in places that are already DO friendly. How about some more DO residencies in California? How about some in New England? I feel like they're opening more spots, but they're all in the old stand-by locations which is one reason that so many opt for the ACGME residencies and why patients in the under-represented areas don't know much about DOs.

it's not really great news. there are already too many osteopathic medical schools in this country; and a for profit one is up and running. If we continue to saturate and dilute our degree in this manner it's only a matter of time before quality is sacrificed. Do you know how difficult it is becoming to match a desirable residency as a DO? there already aren't enough DO spots to support the DO graduates; forcing many into less desirable MD residencies ( family, peds ) . Add 9 schools on top of that - what's that, another 1500 graduates in the match in 4-5 years? on top of schools increasing their size? not an ideal situation when competing with all of the MD kids + foreign grads.

i agree that there needs to be more residencies but i am also in favor of new DO schools. There are 150+ allopathic schools compared to around 30 osteopathic schools. As long as residency spots are created I see no problem with creating new DO schools.

i agree that there needs to be more residencies but i am also in favor of new DO schools. There are 150+ allopathic schools compared to around 30 osteopathic schools. As long as residency spots are created I see no problem with creating new DO schools.

The problem is two-fold. First off, what happens to rotations for all those schools? Hospitals aren't just waiting to embrace new students. Some DO students tell horror stories about their rotation sites. Instead of opening up all these new schools, how about they fix the problems with the rotation sites. Second, opening new residencies in what exactly? How many neurosurgery DO residencies are there? How many derm? How about the less competitive ones -- how many PM&R residencies are there in the DO world? What about neurology or psych? Not many. By opening up more schools without an equal distribution in increasing residencies, all you're doing is forcing DO students to either be unmatched or go into a specialty they don't want to go into in the middle of nowhere because no one else wanted it.

Also, you shouldn't compare the number of DO students to the number of allo students. They have way more residencies and all of them (that I know of) are directly linked to a teaching hospital. Not so for DO schools.

I think there needs to be a stat check here because people are missing an important detail.

~47% of DOs match (not scramble for this stat) to AOA residency. The AOA could accomodate (pulling this number from my ass. but I know the stats will back me up because I've done the actual calculation before) 70% of all the graduate, but ~20% of all its residencies go unfilled each year just because of lack of interest for whatever reason. That's not my main point, but it does add more depth to what I'm going to point out that there is a large number of AOA residencies completely unfilled each year (I wont discuss their worth as it likely runs the entire spectrum from crappy to 'omg how did that not get filled?')

Now here is the fact sheet. Its that if every MD that graduated in 2010 from a US school was matched before any other student (DO, USIMG, FMG, etc). Every single one was given a spot, this includes ones that didnt get a spot in reality or applied elsewhere in the reality of 2010.... there would still be ~6,500 ACGME residency spots left and a couple hundred (dont know the number) more in the military and SF match. There are only about 2,000 DO's who apply ACGME. We could apply 3x over and still have room left over in the ACGME residency list.

Idk if 6,500+ spots are in two bit hospitals. I would imagine there is likely a lot more room for heightened competition than you'd think. I also think rapidly expanding DO education is not a smart thing to do at this current juncture. But I dont think the numbers reflect that an increase in enrollment, even if both MD and DO are increasing, will put too much pressure on people for a long time still. Yes IMG and FMGs are real applicant that do get spots. But with the rising acceptance of DOs and the wonderful new rule that is "all-in" its going to be a whole lot tougher for USIMGs in the near future. And I'm not laughing at their misfortune, I'm just noting that it is realistic to assume they'll be the ones losing spots over these two things.

The DO school in AL is fine. There's not enough DO schools/residency programs in the South.

The state needs more than what UAB and USA provide.

USA has a class size of 75, and doesn't take strictly instaters.

UAB expanded to 175 I think, and take ~ 30% OOS. They are really after those with the high stats.

If they create a good number of residency programs down in Dothan and the surrounding area, that'll make it even better.... :thumbup:

The residency issue isn't easily solvable either. There aren't that many hospitals that have the necessary volume to support a NS residency that don't already have one. It's easy to open up an FP residency since outpatient clinics are easier to come by and almost all hospitals will have enough inpatient medicine volume to train.

Unless these schools are investing multi millions of dollars into new teaching hospitals that can support and grow to the necessary volume for trainees, there will be continued reliance on the ACGME residencies.

I think there needs to be a stat check here because people are missing an important detail.

~47% of DOs match (not scramble for this stat) to AOA residency. The AOA could accomodate (pulling this number from my ass. but I know the stats will back me up because I've done the actual calculation before) 70% of all the graduate, but ~20% of all its residencies go unfilled each year just because of lack of interest for whatever reason. That's not my main point, but it does add more depth to what I'm going to point out that there is a large number of AOA residencies completely unfilled each year (I wont discuss their worth as it likely runs the entire spectrum from crappy to 'omg how did that not get filled?')

Now here is the fact sheet. Its that if every MD that graduated in 2010 from a US school was matched before any other student (DO, USIMG, FMG, etc). Every single one was given a spot, this includes ones that didnt get a spot in reality or applied elsewhere in the reality of 2010.... there would still be ~6,500 ACGME residency spots left and a couple hundred (dont know the number) more in the military and SF match. There are only about 2,000 DO's who apply ACGME. We could apply 3x over and still have room left over in the ACGME residency list.

Idk if 6,500+ spots are in two bit hospitals. I would imagine there is likely a lot more room for heightened competition than you'd think. I also think rapidly expanding DO education is not a smart thing to do at this current juncture. But I dont think the numbers reflect that an increase in enrollment, even if both MD and DO are increasing, will put too much pressure on people for a long time still. Yes IMG and FMGs are real applicant that do get spots. But with the rising acceptance of DOs and the wonderful new rule that is "all-in" its going to be a whole lot tougher for USIMGs in the near future. And I'm not laughing at their misfortune, I'm just noting that it is realistic to assume they'll be the ones losing spots over these two things.
You need to make sure to calculate stats without TRIs and prelim surg/medicine/transitional years. They are pretty much useless as your scope of practice will be severely limited by completing only one of those.

Why does it take so many more years for an MD school to get off the ground compared to a DO school? Is AOA really making sure that every student who enrolls will have a quality third and fourth year experience?

Why does it take so many more years for an MD school to get off the ground compared to a DO school? Is AOA really making sure that every student who enrolls will have a quality third and fourth year experience?

More lenient standards as per COCA for accreditation.

You need to make sure to calculate stats without TRIs and prelim surg/medicine/transitional years. They are pretty much useless as your scope of practice will be severely limited by completing only one of those.

Totally true. But that makes the math really hard and complicated and I'm lazy and studying for boards so I cant dedicate more than 8 minutes at a time to researching comments :laugh: Still. I'd only kick out the prelims. Internships/transitionals (in the ACGME world) are actually pretty desired since they do set you up for second year residency and they get filled. Not quite the case with AOA. Plus my stats don't count the 2nd year residency options of the ACGME, so I had better count the internships (not sure if it counts 2nd year options for the AOA, but I dont think it does either). Prelims are total nonsense though and shouldnt be counted. But I am not going back and doing the research to figure out how that changes the numbers.

According to those in the know (and they are MDs in this case) its could be that, but its much more strongly correlated with the type of affiliations DO schools seek. Since DO schools generally do not put a big emphasis on research, they set themselves up with whatever college has regional support where they want to set up shop. MD schools are much more tightly bound to the idea that schools must be supported by institutions that can support a strong research load.

You want to find me a major university without a medical school? There are plenty, but then you have to work out the details of how much of the research income goes to the mother institution carte blanche, how much stays for medical school support, how much goes towards funding the next round of research and is it the University's research or the Medical School's research it funds. That has been the nightmare of opening new medical schools for the allopathic end. Its contractually a never ending power struggle over something the DO schools simply overlook by saying that they'll do any research in house and since it's not a huge part of their curriculum, they dont need a big research university and dont intend to share any research money with the schools they do affiliate with.

when the federal gov't is paying out money and giving approval to start these schools, the fact that the DO schools are able to show up with all their ducks in a row has led them to get approval at a much higher rate than the MD schools who are usually still trying to work out funding/support details with their potential supporting institution when it comes time to file for approval.

Research is huge business and great money for a university. They will delay the process for years to get the cut they desire from the medical school.

This is HORRIBLE news. HORRIBLE. The AOA and COCA are turning our profession into a diploma mill. They are RUINING our futures, yet so many people don't care at all what is happening. Some random observations:

-Growth of new seats at COMs FAR outpaces new residency spots

-New residency spots can only be made at hospitals that do not currently have residencies or completely new hospitals. This is almost always low volume hospitals that do not have the proper resources to train residents.

-COMs will have to start dredging the bottom of the applicant pool to fill out these new colleges

-COCA seemingly has no real standards, I have never heard of any disciplinary action taken by this body except for cases where OMM was not being taught at residency programs (ie, surgery and IM programs)...(I admit I don't read COCA reports on my Friday nights)

-Poor training at these new schools and new residency programs could easily come back to stain our profession and negatively impact each one of us.

-COCA is improperly staffed by auditors. The JAOA is always running ads and articles BEGGING DOs to devote some time to serve as site inspectors. Interpret this as you will

-New COMs and new branches will bring along scores of new presidents and administrators that make 300-800k per year...it is hard to imagine that there are not a group of higher-ups within the establishment who are completely biased and have blatant conflicts of interest in their advocacy and involvement in starting up new schools.

-Current and future members of this profession seemingly have little or no say in these types of matters.

I am utterly DISGUSTED with the AOA and its inept leadership.

Last edited:
This is terrible terrible news. Im so embarrassed by our profession sometimes. What is the AOA/COCA thinking? One of the best ways to get rich quick in America is to open a DO school, call it "non-profit", and convince naive pre-meds to to pay you $50,000 a year. Your profit is guaranteed by government loans.

Also, we are really gonna dilute the quality of students coming in to our schools. Not everyone who wants to be a doctor should get in to medical school. Maybe we will be the new caribbean schools.

In summary:
-9 new schools

That is not true. There are new residency programs every year. There has also been an increase in emphasis on specialty residencies from the AOA. And negotations are made all the time about setting up core rotations at different teaching hospitals by various different schools.

This is HORRIBLE news. HORRIBLE. The AOA and COCA are turning our profession into a diploma mill. They are RUINING our futures, yet so many people don't care at all what is happening. Some random observations:

-Growth of new seats at COMs FAR outpaces new residency spots

-New residency spots can only be made at hospitals that do not currently have residencies or completely new hospitals. This is almost always low volume hospitals that do not have the proper resources to train residents.

-COMs will have to start dredging the bottom of the applicant pool to fill out these new colleges

-COCA seemingly has no real standards, I have never heard of any disciplinary action taken by this body except for cases where OMM was not being taught at residency programs (ie, surgery and IM programs)...(I admit I don't read COCA reports on my Friday nights)

-Poor training at these new schools and new residency programs could easily come back to stain our profession and negatively impact each one of us.

-COCA is improperly staffed by auditors. The JAOA is always running ads and articles BEGGING DOs to devote some time to serve as site inspectors. Interpret this as you will

-New COMs and new branches will bring along scores of new presidents and administrators that make 300-800k per year...it is hard to imagine that there are not a group of higher-ups within the establishment who are completely biased and have blatant conflicts of interest in their advocacy and involvement in starting up new schools.

-Current and future members of this profession seemingly have little or no say in these types of matters.

I am utterly DISGUSTED with the AOA and its inept leadership.

Pretty much all of these posts other than the OP sum up my feelings exactly, so I'm just going to pick one and hit it with a +1. Absolutely HORRIBLE. By far the worst news I've heard all day, which is quite a statement considering the state of affairs in the world...

Thank you for putting some actually facts into this discussion. New residencies are being started all the time. They are not just creating new schools without trying to get more residency spots. Look at some of the new programs...fellowships in critical care, cardiology, Immunology...you have Dermatology, urology, vascular surgery, gen surg, ortho..etc. The narrative that no new residencies are opening up is blatantly false, and the narrative that it is all primary care is also blatantly false.

Last edited:
That is not true. There are new residency programs every year. There has also been an increase in emphasis on specialty residencies from the AOA.

Since when? The vast majority of new residencies are either primary care or fellowships after primary care.

And negotations are made all the time about setting up core rotations at different teaching hospitals by various different schools.

Where? How many?

Thank you for putting some actually facts into this discussion. New residencies are being started all the time. They are not just creating new schools without trying to get more residency spots.

Just dont lose sight of the fact that adding 200 residency spots this year and probably 100 or 150 next year is extremely impressive, but not changing anything if 2 (sometimes 3) new schools open a year in the last few years. Plus, most years the increase in spots is much more modest, 15 or 40 are two increases that pop to my mind as recent years. I still say opening new schools is not a good idea. Sure it increases our visibility the same way leaving food on the ground increases cockroach visibility, it gives us the resources to multiply in sheer numbers... but one of the most disappointing things about the AOA is how many of their residencies are not taken all that seriously. If they want some more credibility, my humble suggestion is keep adding spots without adding students. This will let that "maximum number of DO graduates the AOA could accomodate" value move up from 65 or 70% and get closer to 100%. Once we could fit our entire student body into our own programs (regardless of if we actually do put 100% into it) it gives us more validity as a training option, and gives DOs in the NRMP even more respect as they chose to go NRMP for the training, not because the AOA doesnt have enough room for everyone.

Still. back to pansit's original point. Dont let our common unhappiness with new schools end up leading to rhetoric that ignores facts. The AOA is doing a great job increasing the sheer number of residency spots (again, not commenting on where they are or what they are, because I haven't even looked at that). They are simply, to my dismay, doing a better job at increasing the sheer number of DO students. :laugh: But a counter intuitive absolute value increase and ratio decrease still trumps no increase at all if we're going to expand.

Since when? The vast majority of new residencies are either primary care or fellowships after primary care.

Where? How many?

This year alone they have started new residencies in Ortho, vascular surgery, gen surg, urology, ENT, Pm&R. And these are only slots that DO's can attain.

As for teaching hospitals, that is dependent upon the school, my school had core rotations set up with in Michigan with Detroit Medical Center (wayne state), Henry Ford (wayne state and MSU) and along with core rotations in Ohio. These relationships are changing all the time and the schools are constantly trying to improve their rotations to gain more competitive students.

I can't believe the AOA. Just the for-profit school ALREADY established shows the utter bull**** that they will allow to happen to our profession. And now they want to add more schools... They really don't consider what is best for all of us. Whats next, an online DO degree?

It would be so much better if their was just one governing body for ALL of medical education. That way DO education would be uniformly held to the same standards that MD education is.

When one of us/this generation gets into power we need to remember this nonsense.........

Just dont lose sight of the fact that adding 200 residency spots this year and probably 100 or 150 next year is extremely impressive, but not changing anything if 2 (sometimes 3) new schools open a year in the last few years. Plus, most years the increase in spots is much more modest, 15 or 40 are two increases that pop to my mind as recent years. I still say opening new schools is not a good idea. Sure it increases our visibility the same way leaving food on the ground increases cockroach visibility, it gives us the resources to multiply in sheer numbers... but one of the most disappointing things about the AOA is how many of their residencies are not taken all that seriously. If they want some more credibility, my humble suggestion is keep adding spots without adding students. This will let that "maximum number of DO graduates the AOA could accomodate" value move up from 65 or 70% and get closer to 100%. Once we could fit our entire student body into our own programs (regardless of if we actually do put 100% into it) it gives us more validity as a training option, and gives DOs in the NRMP even more respect as they chose to go NRMP for the training, not because the AOA doesnt have enough room for everyone.

Still. back to pansit's original point. Dont let our common unhappiness with new schools end up leading to rhetoric that ignores facts. The AOA is doing a great job increasing the sheer number of residency spots (again, not commenting on where they are or what they are, because I haven't even looked at that). They are simply, to my dismay, doing a better job at increasing the sheer number of DO students. :laugh: But a counter intuitive absolute value increase and ratio decrease still trumps no increase at all if we're going to expand.

I agree...but alot of the medical students and residents for that matter love to comment on what the AOA does or doesnt do even though they dont really know what is going on. They dont go to the meetings or the conferences and they go off on what has been passed around SDN for years even though things are always changing and involving. I tell someone that a bunch of new programs in non-primary care related fields are opening and they refuse to believe it.

It did seem that only 15 of the 36 programs there (my numbers may be off, i just counted really fast) are vanilla internal medicine, peds or family med. None of them are fellowships (the fellowships page is separate from what I linked) and I never get the dislike people have for IM, but I counted IM as part of the 15. So thats 21 programs that are non-primary care just this year.

Where? How many?

<shrug> ask him. I could tell you a story about Hackensack hospital going to Touro. Which is true. But it went to us as an institution, not the AOA specifically. Plus we gave it to NYMC as a present when we bought them. This is about AOA affiliations anyway, not school-by-school stuff. So maybe Pansit knows more than I do, cause I can't offhand name any other new AOA affiliations at major teaching hospitals.

I can't believe the AOA. Just the for-profit school ALREADY established shows the utter bull**** that they will allow to happen to our profession. And now they want to add more schools... They really don't consider what is best for all of us. Whats next, an online DO degree?

It would be so much better if their was just one governing body for ALL of medical education. That way DO education would be uniformly held to the same standards that MD education is.

When one of us/this generation gets into power we need to remember this nonsense.........

I dont get it. You are all the same people who complained that not enough people know what a "DO" is, and when the AOA tries to expand more students you criticize that. Some have complained that not enough DO's are in the south and virtually no DO opportunities exist...well...they expanded that (Debusk, PCOM-GA, Alabama school...etc). Some complained that there are not enough non-primary care residencies exist, and they have slowly increased those over the past few years with more to come...its a no win situation, no matter what they do, short of changing the intials to MD or MDO, you will criticize.

It did seem that only 15 of the 36 programs there (my numbers may be off, i just counted really fast) are vanilla internal medicine, peds or family med. None of them are fellowships (the fellowships page is separate from what I linked) and I never get the dislike people have for IM, but I counted IM as part of the 15. So thats 21 programs that are non-primary care just this year.

<shrug> ask him. I could tell you a story about Hackensack hospital going to Touro. Which is true. But it went to us as an institution, not the AOA specifically. Plus we gave it to NYMC as a present when we bought them. This is about AOA affiliations anyway, not school-by-school stuff. So maybe Pansit knows more than I do, cause I can't offhand name any other new AOA affiliations at major teaching hospitals.

A bunch from your link are fellowships: Cardiology, Immunology, Gereatrics, critical care/pulmonology, vascular surgery maybe a fellowship following gen surg

A bunch from your link are fellowships: Cardiology, Immunology, Gereatrics, critical care/pulmonology, vascular surgery maybe a fellowship following gen surg

nope. they're not fellowships. They're full cardiology/immunology/pulmonology/whatever residencies with a built in IM curriculum at the start. Its a good thing. Most people prefer it built in anyway.

Just like plastics, don't think that just because its usually done through fellowship that it can't also be a residency, and vice-versa.

EDIT: foot in my mouth. Some of them do not have the built in IM component. I looked at one and thought they were all representative because they all said 'residency' and the one i looked at had it all built in. I will banish myself back to my first aid book in shame.

Last edited:

wrong hospital, the AOA residencies are in Freeman Health, not St John's.

nope. they're not fellowships. They're full cardiology residencies with a built in IM curriculum at the start. Its a good thing. Most people prefer it built in anyway.

Just like plastics, don't forget that just because its usually done through fellowship that it can also be a residency, and vice-versa.

oh really....that is interesting. That might be a very competitive future program, seeing that people like cardiology but not willing to go through 3 years of General IM for it.

Since when are Allergy and Immunology, Cardiology, Child/Adolescent Psych, Critical Care Med, Vascular Surgery, Pulmonary Critical Care not fellowships? Are you saying you can go straight from med school into Cards without doing an IM residency?

I haven't heard of the AOA affiliating with any major teaching hospital and I know friends at about 12 different schools. Do schools pick up new rotation sites? Sure. Since when has the AOA done it?

I dont get it. You are all the same people who complained that not enough people know what a "DO" is, and when the AOA tries to expand more students you criticize that. Some have complained that not enough DO's are in the south and virtually no DO opportunities exist...well...they expanded that (Debusk, PCOM-GA, Alabama school...etc). Some complained that there are not enough non-primary care residencies exist, and they have slowly increased those over the past few years with more to come...its a no win situation, no matter what they do, short of changing the intials to MD or MDO, you will criticize.

A DO without a residency is an unemployable DO. Increasing residencies does NOTHING when you increase class sizes and open up 9 new schools.

within 5 years, there will be more DOs and American MD grads than residency spots. ACGME IM has damn near filled before the scramble the last several years. it's only going to get worse.

Agree fully with your thought on oversaturation, but there have been about 200 new AOA residency spots opened just this year. thats a like a bit under a 10% increase in total residency spots.

at the rate they're making new schools, they'll have to have a 50-100% increase in spots in the next decade,

People forget that the AOA is actually getting funding from the fed to fund lots of residency spots each year (this year was especially large and next year should be quite large as well).

shenanigans. There has not been an increase in approved FUNDED spots since 1997. they're may be an increase in spots, but I do not believe that the funding is coming from the government.

Now they are not enough spots, nor are most of them in fancy residency programs that are highly sought after, though some are. But they are new and they are being added and people will fill them (unless its FM or internship, then who knows if they get filled). We also have no new teaching hospitals for these as far as I know. So yea. Thats a big thing. kudos on that one.

Yes, because people want to spend $250k+ to be forced into an AOA FP/IM/Pysch residency. :rolleyes:

Where will all the new students train during their clinical years?

God, I hope the one in Beaver, Pa isn't going to be training at Beaver hospital. :rolleyes:

Right now DO schools are sending their students cross-country for training. There are schools where it is possible to make it through all 4 years without any significant inpatient exposure. Will the new schools be generating new research activities and contributing to the academic medical community? Will these new schools be creating enough new residencies spots to support their graduates?

doubtful, you know that compared to medical school tuition, residencies don't line people pockets enough to make it worth it.

As for residencies - there are new MD schools opening, and existing MD schools have increased their class size. In 2007, there were 15206 US MD students applying for the NRMP match. In 2011, there were 16559. In 2007, there were 1652 US DO students applying for the NRMP match. In 2011, there were 2178. In 2007, there were 2694 US IMG applying for the NRMP match, in 2011 there were 3769.

In 2007, there were a total of 34975 applicants for the NRMP match. In 2011, there were 37735.

2015 is going to be a fun year, I'm glad I finished up before this crap started.

:slap: no, you're missing the big picture.

There are roughly 23000 spots each year for residents, there ~3300 DO grads a year (about to be over 4000 with all these schools) right now there are 16,500 MD grads a year, by 2015 there will be ~1800, by 2017 they want 22000. so withing 5-7 years there will be 26000 graduating from american medical schools with only 23000 residency spots? I'm glad I won't have to go through match to deal with the cluster-**** that's going to be. They already have 35,000 applicants each year for the match when you factor in the 2000 american grads who are re-entering the match, IMG, FMGs, 5-th pathway and canadians.

Let's use IM as an example, you'll hear the AOA crow about how much they've expanded they're IM numbers in the last 3 years, this isn't necessarily a good thing. for the past 3-5 years ACGME Im has had less than 100 open seats after the match to scramble into, and those tend to fill right away, and they have 5,065 seats, so with increasing AOA grads, well of d'uh they'll have more and more match into the AOA spots, for 2010, there were 450 IM spots, 305 of those filled, so between ACGME and DO, there were ~150 unfilled IM spots, how do you think that will play out in the next few years as the numbers of grads continues to increase and AOA continues the snails pace increase in spots? Expect a lot of mediocre DO grads to be unable to get a residency as no one in their right mind is going to say that the well qualified FMG and IMGs should be barred from entering our match, especially if they want to stay in the states after training.

nope. they're not fellowships. They're full cardiology/immunology/pulmonology/whatever residencies with a built in IM curriculum at the start. Its a good thing. Most people prefer it built in anyway.

1) built in fellowships is not standard for IM, 2) after seeing many different residencies out there, we also need to be increasing the quality of the residencies spots, not just the quantitity, 3) I'll be honest that in my opinion, when I was looking at pulm-cc fellowships, half of the hospitals had no buisness having a fellowship due to lack of volume, frequently shipping out their sicker pts to university centers, etc, etc.

Ohh man, i am going to have some uncomfortable questions for interviews in the Fall.

I am struggling to find a resource where med schools are directly attached to a hospital. Can someone hook me up? I think it would relieve a lot of potential stress when looking for rotations, although i'm still learning about that whole process.

I agree with what many have said. Opening up new DO schools, or expanding current ones without getting solid rotations set up, or just as importantly new residency slots in various fields a BAD idea.

The biggest problems to residencies spots though from my limited knowledge, is that in large part they are funded by Medicare, and well we all know how much medicare funding increases every year......................

So you think it's a good thing to force people into primary care in two-bit hospitals? There's a reason those spots go unfilled.
I don't think it's a good idea for med students to be trapped into primary care if that isn't what they want, but if there are no other spots and lots of IM/FM residencies with unfilled spots that's where they would go I am guessing.

I don't think it's a good idea for med students to be trapped into primary care if that isn't what they want, but if there are no other spots and lots of IM/FM residencies with unfilled spots that's where they would go I am guessing.

Yeah, but it's not right. Forcing people into a specialty because of lack of foresight is criminal. And by the way, don't assume that those unfilled residencies will be unfilled when all is said or done. If DO schools continue to expand, I bet many people will be left out in the cold without any residency whatsoever.