Great news for Puerto Rico School of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hambre

Puerto Rico Optometry
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay... alot of you guys have read about our problems here on "the rock" in the middle of the Atlantic...
Some of you are concerned. Some do not want to come. Some are scared because this looks like the only place they can come. It is it really this bad--
I used to say yes, but it will be changing........

Yes dear friend, do not worry!!!

As we were notified by the Accred council today (as no doubt you read in previous posts!) things are changing.
The US Congress along with the National Board of Education have created rules and guidelines (as of Dec 07). The NBE is actually who accreditates the Accreditation council to accred other schools of optometry (try saying that 5x fast!). So... they decided that the National Board (or NBEO) is the only way to "prove" a student/doctor has knowledge to be a doctor.
Heres the good news- starting across the states, all schools, everyone- the ultimate minimum for a schools pass rate is 70% of students. This will start either this next board offering or the next (they said it is up for a vote which it will begin, within their own council)
If a school is under 70% for 3 years consecutively, then measures will be taken and an investigation will take place. If they are still under after 4 consecutive years then the accreditation will be an issue.
per Dr Roark, chairman of the visiting council.

If you've heard my gripe about boards and our unwillingness of our administration to do anything--- - well, here is our accountability finally. Things should be changing.
There is alot that needs to be changed, but this is our biggest issue. Once this gets into play, and administration makes the needed changes, then i 'might' say thats its okay to come here.
This is good news for you guys who are nervous about coming. Change is coming--
Like Barak Obama- change is good and hope is alive!

have a terrific night!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you're right of course. As a student here, I am embarrassed of our faculty. If you've read my other posts, I am proud of our students for working hard, against all odds, to do something.
This is a big step for us. I hope we can go strong like you guys at Nova.

Quick fact- did you know those that "fail" out of Nova (we all know that story) and transfer here (generally this is how it works), they pass boards 1st time vs us who take 3-5 times or not at all.

good job Nova.

we'll keep you posted on any other changes made.

we get about 8 to 10 a year.
we joke that you should go to nova first, then come here-at least you'll pass boards and you'll still be able to drink a $6 bottle of bacardi on the beach too. Or we joke we took the shortcut- coming to PR FIRST.
HA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to speak spanish to apply, right?

You have to speak spanish to apply, right?

No, not at all. It helps, but I am still surprised how many graduate and don't speak it. I know pretty well (about 1/2 the time I can converse), and it just from being exposed to it in everyday life. A lot in my class only know basics though.
They do make you take a spanish class for first year to help you out. Its a P/F class without a grade, so no big deal. Also, you are asked to make a script to memorize for clinic to instruct patients. That said, Puerto Ricans get an "english class" (think of Sr year spanish in high school) every year in school from 1st grade until graduation. The colleges mostly have english texts etc... and the movies/tv is the same we watch at home. They often say they don't speak english, but its like me-- i don't speak spanish, but i can understand it pretty well.
Hope that helps...

Maybe it was the pharmacy school there but I do remember reading that you need to know spanish to deal with customers.

And about instructing patients, wouldn't you need much more than memorization to discuss stuff with patients?