Great on exams, maybe lacking on clinical application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year med student just finishing up my first year. I've done really great academically (all A's), but I'm noticing that I don't feel quite as comfortable with the material when using it for actual clinical type application. We have several small groups which are still sort of didactic in nature rather than PBL, but we discuss (well, the preceptor at least discusses) case studies that incorporate what we've been learning (it's basically the preceptor reads part of the case study, and then asks a question that is open to the 20 of us or so in the group, then he'll explain why whoever decided to speak up might be correct or incorrect).

There are times when I just don't feel as quick on my feet as some of my classmates as far as reading a clinical vignette and picking up on specifically what's wrong (we're in neuro right now). Is there a good resource for someone in my position (first year student) heading into the summer that I could use to perhaps brush up on this stuff? I have BRS Phys which helps lay the groundwork, so I was considering reviewing that just because next year's pathology will be based on all that stuff to a large extent. But is there another resource/resources I could use to maybe help tie in what I've learned this year in lecture to what goes on clinically?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How do you do anything beyond the most basic clinical vignettes when you haven't had pathophysiology yet? I'd say don't worry about this stuff and just learn the proper pathophys next year plus the history and physical techniques.

Yah sounds like things are as they shud be, it'll all come naturally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year med student just finishing up my first year. I've done really great academically (all A's), but I'm noticing that I don't feel quite as comfortable with the material when using it for actual clinical type application. We have several small groups which are still sort of didactic in nature rather than PBL, but we discuss (well, the preceptor at least discusses) case studies that incorporate what we've been learning (it's basically the preceptor reads part of the case study, and then asks a question that is open to the 20 of us or so in the group, then he'll explain why whoever decided to speak up might be correct or incorrect).

There are times when I just don't feel as quick on my feet as some of my classmates as far as reading a clinical vignette and picking up on specifically what's wrong (we're in neuro right now). Is there a good resource for someone in my position (first year student) heading into the summer that I could use to perhaps brush up on this stuff? I have BRS Phys which helps lay the groundwork, so I was considering reviewing that just because next year's pathology will be based on all that stuff to a large extent. But is there another resource/resources I could use to maybe help tie in what I've learned this year in lecture to what goes on clinically?

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it just yet, especially since you're doing well on exams. I had a similar experience in my PBL's for physiology, which I would inevitably walk out of feeling like an idiot compared to my classmates. Later on I realized that most of them had significant prior exposure to clinical medicine and had picked up some of the 'buzzwords' which were all new to me. When I earned the high score in our class on the physio shelf I decided that I'm probably not an idiot, I might just need an extra pass through the material before I'm comfortable applying it, maybe you're the same way. In any case I would repeat my advice to not worry about it, just concentrate on learning the material you're supposed to and the rest (i.e. clinical application) should fall into place later on.

Even as m-2 year draws to a close i still feel pretty stupid when presented with a clinical case/problem at preceptor or whenever that isn't provided as a multiple choice question with abcde as answers.

M-1 and m-2 are foundations on which you will build the clinical aptitude you will use everyday as an actual doctor. Your trying to related m-1 biochem phys and anatomy knowledge taught PhD to actual clinical problems. I would recommend not doing that and instead having fun this summer or doing some focused research.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet, especially since you're doing well on exams. I had a similar experience in my PBL's for physiology, which I would inevitably walk out of feeling like an idiot compared to my classmates. Later on I realized that most of them had significant prior exposure to clinical medicine and had picked up some of the 'buzzwords' which were all new to me. When I earned the high score in our class on the physio shelf I decided that I'm probably not an idiot, I might just need an extra pass through the material before I'm comfortable applying it, maybe you're the same way. In any case I would repeat my advice to not worry about it, just concentrate on learning the material you're supposed to and the rest (i.e. clinical application) should fall into place later on.

Absolutely. It'll take time for concepts to sink in, even through 3rd and 4th year. There are things that I didn't realize until internship. For the most part, if you're doing well on the tests that is a good sign. Give yourself some slack and your understanding of medicine will fall into place with time.