Great Opportunity for unmatched applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaskade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the current ophthalmic pathology fellow at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. I'd like to take the opportunity to share with anyone who may have come up short in the Match this year, any post-residency ophthalmologists or pathologists with an interest in eye pathology, or any medical students who might be looking to take a year off for research, some details about the amazing experience I've had as a pre-residency fellow at BPEI, one that led to my matching at a program that I ranked highly (and that's the whole point, right?).

I know firsthand how frustrating, disappointing, and demoralizing it is not to match, and I can say without reservation that doing the pathology fellowship at BPEI is one of the best decisions I've made. I recommend that anyone who is serious about maximizing their chances of matching next year look into this excellent opportunity. Since the fellowship was initiated in 2001, every official pre-ophthalmology fellow has successfully matched into a residency position, including, in no particular order, programs such as New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, Indiana University, Arkansas, Pittsburgh, Yale, Case Western, and Bascom Palmer.

I've organized the details of the fellowship, and the advantages it affords, as a Frequently Asked Questions guide below, where I've tried to anticipate major questions a prospective fellow may have about the position. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions.

What are the duties of the ophthalmic pathology fellow?
The duties of the pathology fellow are numerous. The fellow is responsible for reviewing all surgical specimens received at the busiest ocular pathology lab in the country. You will review slides for all cases each day, order any special stains or studies you deem necessary to complete the workup, review cases in consultation with colleagues in dermatopathology and hematopathology, field phone calls and inquiries regarding specimens from residents, fellows, and attendings, and generally do anything required to keep the laboratory running smoothly. Additionally, the fellow has the remarkable opportunity of working alongside 1st and 2nd year residents at BPEI. The fellow is responsible for instructing 1st year residents on the gross examination of all whole globes received at the laboratory, and together you will cut and describe 200+ enucleated eyes. The fellow is encouraged to attend the clinical lectures provided to the BPEI residents each morning as well. The fellow also presents at both Bascom Palmer Grand Rounds and Imaging Conference, where clinicopathologic correlations are presented with other fellows from the Oculoplastics and Ocular Oncology services. The fellow aids BPEI residents and fellows in the preparation of their Grand Rounds presentations as well, by providing photomicrographs of cases and instructing the presenters on their description and significance. These extensive duties result in tremendous exposure to ocular pathology, and pre-residency fellows typically leave with a knowledge base that is on par with that of second year residents (with regards to pathophysiology of ocular disease, not clinical skills, of course). For post-residency ophthalmologists and pathologists, you can expect to develop a truly formidable fund of knowledge, with unequaled exposure to rare, complicated pathology.

What research opportunities exist?
There is an overabundance of research. The variety and volume of pathology at BPEI, including exceptionally rare conditions, is such that one can find MULTIPLE interesting research projects without even trying. Material is simply waiting here, ready to be written up. The pathology lab at BPEI keeps all surgical specimens stored indefinitely, meaning they have what is likely the largest library of pathology specimens in existence, with cases on hand dating back to at least 1962. I don't think it is possible to complete this fellowship without having submitted multiple first-author publications to peer-reviewed journals. The sky is truly the limit as far as how many projects you want to get under your belt. In addition to your own first-author publications, there is an absolutely endless stream of faculty, residents, and fellows with their own projects which require input from the pathology lab for photographs, clinicopathologic correlations, etc.

Who will I be working with?
The fellowship director is Dr. Sander Dubovy. Dr. Dubovy is double board-certified in pathology and ophthalmology, and practices medical retina at Bascom Palmer in addition to his role as ophthalmic pathologist and medical director of the Florida Lions Eye Bank. I can attest that Dr. Dubovy is a phenomenal mentor with extensive experience guiding second-time applicants through the match process. It is understood that your first duty as a pre-residency fellow is to successfully match into ophthalmology. This increases the prestige of the fellowship, and consequently, the quality of applicants to the position. Thus, you can be assured that your goal as fellow and Dr. Dubovy's goal as fellowship director are in perfect alignment--the goal is for you to match to the best program you possibly can, and you will have unbelievable support to that end! Through research activities and your role as a consultant in the care of patients as BPEI, you will also work, either directly or indirectly, with the majority of the 21 residents, 25+ fellows, and 40+ faculty at BPEI. This exposure affords tremendous opportunities for networking.

Are there opportunities for clinical exposure?
The duties of the pathology fellow are such that during normal clinic hours, you will be preoccupied with your own work. However, the BPEI eye emergency room is open 365 days/year, and residents and fellows will allow you to observe patient care in the clinical setting as often as you desire.

What advantages will the fellowship afford me as a second time applicant?
Almost too numerous to mention. As an applicant, you will enter ophthalmology residency with a tremendous knowledge base which very few people have acquired. Training in ophthalmic pathology is exceedingly rare, and programs recognize this. Additionally, you will have added numerous research projects to your application. But just as important are the advice and guidance you receive during the year. You will be coached and mentored INTENSIVELY by people who KNOW what ophthalmology programs are looking for, and you will notice a remarkable difference in your own preparedness and maturity as you tackle the interview trail for the second time. I personally was invited back to interview for a second time at 3 different programs, and heard from multiple interviewers that they felt as though they were talking to a completely different person (this was meant unequivocally as a compliment each time). Other fellows have had a similar experience. Finally, the connections you will form during your time at BPEI cannot be overstated. You will work closely with people that have close relationships with faculty at virtually every program in the country. Work hard, and you will have no problem getting both faculty and fellows (many of whom come to BPEI from excellent, excellent programs across the nation) to contact programs on your behalf. The bottom line is that you will be afforded such advantages that, in my opinion, this fellowship is the great equalizer, allowing you to match at the caliber of program your credentials dictate you should have matched at the first time around, had you not been derailed by that one little misstep or fluke circumstance.

Are there any negatives or other issues to consider before applying?
This is not a negative per se, but you will work VERY, VERY hard during this fellowship. Not nearly as hard as BPEI residents, but you can expect your pathology duties to keep you busy until 5 or 6 pm every day, with additional time later in the evenings devoted to research projects. A significant amount of reading is a must--you will be on a very steep learning curve and will need to learn a tremendous amount of material very quickly in order to be functional and evaluate pathology specimens. You will also be required to work a half-day on Saturday morning each week. To my best estimate, work hours average between 60-70 each week. If you are looking for an easy way to spend a year, hoping to maybe do a little bit of research, take it easy, get a letter of recommendation, and go on your way, this position is not for you! You will work hard, but the rewards are commensurate with the effort required. You will gain an amazing amount of knowledge about ophthalmic pathology, and you will, if past performance is any indication, match into an ophthalmology residency provided you work hard and heed the advice given you.

Is adequate time provided for residency interviews?
Absolutely. This is a non-issue. I attended 17 ophthalmology interviews, and plan on attending at 9 internship interviews. Your job is to match, and missing time for interviews is expected.

Is the position paid?
Yes! The fellow is a paid employee of the University of Miami. A reasonable salary and employee health benefits are provided.

How do I apply?
Visit the Bascom Palmer website for details on applying. The process is relatively simple, and basically involves forwarding your SF Match materials to the fellowship coordinator at BPEI, Kathy Corser. If you applied to Bascom Palmer this year, your materials will already be on hand, and you need only let Kathy now that you want to be considered for the fellowship. PM me if you have additional questions.

Who will be considered for the fellowship?
Although most past fellows have been pre-residency ophthalmology candidates, post-residency fellows in both ophthalmology and pathology are also welcome to apply. No preference is given to any specific group--the fellowship truly seeks to land the best available applicant, regardless of their status.

What are the details of the selection process?
The fellow is selected on the basis of their submitted materials as well as an interview day at Bascom Palmer. Details for this year's process have not yet been finalized, but last year, interview day consisted of 3 one on one interviews (including one with Dr. Dubovy), a tour of the facilities, and lunch with the current fellow.

What qualities are desired in a prospective fellow?
There are no tricks here--the fellowship seeks only to land the best available applicant. It is understood that each year, there are a number of well-qualified applicants that, for whatever reason, fail to match. We are looking for someone with strong credentials who will be productive with respect to completing research projects and keeping the pathology lab running smoothly. Any past experiences that provide evidence of such productivity will be most helpful.

How many positions are available?
One fellow is selected each year.

When are interviews?
Interviews will be conducted shortly, within 3-4 weeks, and a final selection will be made well in advance of the February 20th due date for submission of the main residency match list, so that applicants have ample time to decide whether they wish to pursue internship or another specialty.

In my opinion, this fellowship is the absolute best thing that could happen to someone who came up short in the Match this year and is serious about coming back as the strongest possible applicant next year. If you are willing to work hard, you will reap tremendous benefits. For post-residency applicants and medical students with an interest in eye pathology, there is no better learning experience out there.

Anyone who is interested, feel free to PM me with any and all questions. You will receive frank answers--absolutely no sugarcoating. Of course, if anyone has any general questions about going through the Match for a second time, those are welcome as well.

Thanks, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

The fellowship position has been filled for the 2013-2014 year. To all the applicants, best of luck in your future endeavors!