Great Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanjohn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you lived in a communist country, where all occcupations receive the same amount of money, would you still want to become a doctor and go through 11+ years of post-secondary education knowing that in the end you'd be just as wealthy as the local garbage man and toilet cleaner?

Be honest.

I think this question should be asked during med school interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

i would become a doctor, and then get the f*ck out of that country
-mota

seanjohn said:
If you lived in a communist country, where all occcupations receive the same amount of money, would you still want to become a doctor and go through 11+ years of post-secondary education knowing that in the end you'd be just as wealthy as the local garbage man and toilet cleaner?

Be honest.

yes.... i am making -$250,000 in the next four years to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
It woud depend on if it costs as much as it does to become a doctor....if it did then probably not, I would just do nursing or something, if it was free or the same price then I would still want to be a doctor.

It woud depend on if it costs as much as it does to become a doctor....if it did then probably not, I would just do nursing or something, if it was free or the same price then I would still want to be a doctor. :)

If it's a communist country, education should be financed most if not all of the way through your schooling, in which case, yes! The only time I wouldn't do it is if I could not make enough after starting practice to pay of my education debts, and that shouldn't be a problem with a communist set up.

seanjohn said:

Be honest.

I think I would. I know that people in general are thought to be inherently lazy, and thus will only do so much to make the type of money they desire. So for many, being a doctor in a communist country is pointless.

I dont think my desire to become a physician is driven by $. I am pursuing this b/c I feel like I have found my little niche in society, regardless of how much education and the number of titles I must attain. I dont feel like I can fit in anywhere else.

Of course being able to live comfortably is enticing, but not enticing enough for me to be the primary reason why I want to be a physician. My dad and sister (who are both physicians) think I am unreasonable and not smart for wanting to earn the MD/MPH combo rather than the MD/MBA combo and for focusing my interests on improving medicine within underserved communities (I am afr. amer), but in the end I am sure I will feel more gratification from helping those who work hard, yet lack basic necessities, than make a much more and spend it on things that I wont be able to carry with me to my grave.

I am learning as I continue to mature...it is my hope that I continue on this current path

Law2Doc said:
Who would be there to do the interviewing?
A better question is -- what would chuck norris do?

Can we make it mandatory to mention Chuck Norris in every single thread? It's what Chuck Norris would want.

"As a teen, Chuck Norris had sex with every nun in a convent tucked away in the hills of Tuscany. Nine months later the nuns gave birth to the 1972 Miami Dolphins, the only undefeated and untied team in professional football history."

seanjohn said:

Be honest.

nope...i refuse to be a slave.

"The man who produces while others dispose of his product is a slave." ... Ayn Rand

Howard Roark said:

"The man who produces while others dispose of his product is a slave." ... Ayn Rand

BTW, did you guys hear: Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC saying that Law and Order are actually the trademarked names of his right and left legs.

Plastikos said:
BTW, did you guys hear: Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC saying that Law and Order are actually the trademarked names of his right and left legs.

yup. it's true
-mota

chuck norris has never asked a question. he only knows answers.
-mota

Howard Roark said:

finally, an honest response. :laugh: :laugh: