Great read-Residency Shortages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those numbers of open AOA spots are pre-scramble. 621 DO failed to match in the AOA Match and 650 failed to match in the acgme match. Nearly all of those open spots are filled post scramble.

Members don't see this ad.

Those numbers of open AOA spots are pre-scramble. 621 DO failed to match in the AOA Match and 650 failed to match in the acgme match. Nearly all of those open spots are filled post scramble.

Where can we access information about post-match slots availability? 1271 out of 4500 failed to match that a huge and an embarrassing number (unless they are the same people who didn't match AOA and ACGME).

Bottom line, I still don't think the solution is to fund more residency positions. Just put a cap on the number of students starting medical school every year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom line, I still don't think the solution is to fund more residency positions. Just put a cap on the number of students starting medical school every year.

With wonderful DO schools opening like Liberty University and upcoming University of the Incarnate Word being added with classes of upwards to 150+, I definitely don't see this happening and instead there's just a large surge in number of DO students.

With wonderful DO schools opening like Liberty University and upcoming University of the Incarnate Word being added with classes of upwards to 150+, I definitely don't see this happening and instead there's just a large surge in number of DO students.

Well, seems that in the near future the bottom third of DO grads and most of IMG's will end up teaching A&P at community colleges.

Well, seems that in the near future the bottom third of DO grads and most of IMG's will end up teaching A&P at community colleges.
No need for us to freak out. Not for a while. There is still an enormous deficit and demand for doctors. We won't be too affected by the upcoming residency crisis (unless you are a terrible applicant competing for only dermatology residencies). but I can't speak for the future matriculants. We are lucky we are getting in now and not later.

Reactions: 1 users
No need for us to freak out. Not for a while. There is still an enormous deficit and demand for doctors. We won't be too affected by the upcoming residency crisis (unless you are a terrible applicant competing for only dermatology residencies). but I can't speak for the future matriculants. We are lucky we are getting in now and not later.

Exactly. I always believe that if you are in the upper half, you will always be fine.

Well! If we are ok now, lets not worry about the people who come after us...

Pathetic.

U of incarnate word? That's a thing?

U of incarnate word? That's a thing?

Yes, they are in preliminary stage. They anticipate opening up a school in 2016, but may open sooner like Liberty University did. Now is a great time to be DO student but I dot fear for future students. I believe Touro wants to open yet another satellite site also.

Yes, they are in preliminary stage. They anticipate opening up a school in 2016, but may open sooner like Liberty University did. Now is a great time to be DO student but I dot fear for future students. I believe Touro wants to open yet another satellite site also.
There's the Middletown, NY satellite campus that's opening as an option for Touro NY applicants as of this year. I'm guessing that's what you mean unless there's a whole new campus that's opening that I haven't heard of which would be slightly ridiculous at this point

Reactions: 1 users