Great school vs Great state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stumpyman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm currently contemplating whether or not I should transfer to the University of Virginia (which happens to be my favorite school in the country, and also a really good school) for undergrad, or go down to Florida- most likely Florida State university or University of Florida (I qualify for residency there). I am really interested in going to Florida because of all the medical schools they have there, whereas Virginia only has about 3, and one of them very hard to get in to. What do you suppose is the smarter option?
Also, could someone tell me if the Florida medical schools vastly prefer instate applicants over out of state? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My gut is telling me Florida. But it really depends on what degree you want to pursue and how certain you are that medicine is your ultimate goal. As for Florida's preference of in-state residents, I would check out MSAR data or search this forum.

Saving money on in-state tuition in undergraduate is very nice as well. Why is the University of Virginia your favorite in the country?

If you qualify for Florida residency now, won't you later when it's time to apply?

Go with who you want - you only get one UG, and UVA is an awesome school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My gut is telling me Florida. But it really depends on what degree you want to pursue and how certain you are that medicine is your ultimate goal. As for Florida's preference of in-state residents, I would check out MSAR data or search this forum.

Saving money on in-state tuition in undergraduate is very nice as well. Why is the University of Virginia your favorite in the country?

Mainly because I grew up in and out of the UVA area and two of my uncles went there (onee for med school, the other for masters).
And I'm definitely sure about medicine as the ultimate goal (note the transferring to UVA, not freshman).

If you qualify for Florida residency now, won't you later when it's time to apply?

Go with who you want - you only get one UG, and UVA is an awesome school.

I won't qualify for Florida residency when I'm applying to medical schools because then there won't be much of a paper trail, plus I'm not even sure if my parent's property there would still be around. Undergrad doesn't go way too deep into residency checks and all, but med school does.

I won't qualify for Florida residency when I'm applying to medical schools because then there won't be much of a paper trail, plus I'm not even sure if my parent's property there would still be around. Undergrad doesn't go way too deep into residency checks and all, but med school does.

Then you probably won't qualify as a Florida resident for med school apps anyway. Go to UVA -- it sounds like that's what you really want.

Where will your state of residency be? Virginia or Florida, depending on your decision?

Where will your state of residency be? Virginia or Florida, depending on your decision?
If at UVA it would be Virginia, and in Fl it fould be fl.

I recently moved to VA (again for the 3rd time) so my papers and everything still say Fl, but if I stay here for another year (which is before I apply to medical schools) I would be a VA resident, not FL anymore.

I currently go to UF and I assure you that you would not be disappointed if you came down. It's such a great school! It has a nice beautiful campus, upgraded facilities, awesome student gym, hot girls, nice bar scene, shands, and etc.

If at UVA it would be Virginia, and in Fl it fould be fl.

I recently moved to VA (again for the 3rd time) so my papers and everything still say Fl, but if I stay here for another year (which is before I apply to medical schools) I would be a VA resident, not FL anymore.

I currently go to UF and I assure you that you would not be disappointed if you came down. It's such a great school! It has a nice beautiful campus, upgraded facilities, awesome student gym, hot girls, nice bar scene, shands, and etc.

+1

I go to UF as well. Great school.

UF is amazing. Too bad I didn't get accepted for UG. :(

I currently go to UF and I assure you that you would not be disappointed if you came down. It's such a great school! It has a nice beautiful campus, upgraded facilities, awesome student gym, hot smart girls, nice bar scene, shands, and etc.
oh yeah

:thumbup:

btw, I love Shands (both of them)... awesome residents and docs. In the end, op it's your choice but if you have a chance to go to UF it's defintely worth it. If you are trying to do research just be advised research fills up pretty quickly.. i mean really quickly...

But it's Gainesville... the armpit of the south, where jorts run rampant, etc. etc.

Hey, I'm currently contemplating whether or not I should transfer to the University of Virginia (which happens to be my favorite school in the country, and also a really good school) for undergrad, or go down to Florida- most likely Florida State university or University of Florida (I qualify for residency there). I am really interested in going to Florida because of all the medical schools they have there, whereas Virginia only has about 3, and one of them very hard to get in to. What do you suppose is the smarter option?
Also, could someone tell me if the Florida medical schools vastly prefer instate applicants over out of state? Thanks

What does each school cost?

FL schools usually prefer in-state students, and the tuition is horrible if you're out-of-state. UVA and VA in general are amazing :) I'd say to avoid the difficulty of state residence and only go to FL if you have a scholarship/BS-MD position...

Florida is hot and humid, and it and has scary huge spiders, big disease ridden mosquitoes, alligators, and snakes.

I would not want to spend 4 years there.

My vote is go to the school you like.

Florida is hot and humid, and it and has scary huge spiders, big disease ridden mosquitoes, alligators, and snakes.

I think I could get used to it...

2009-Florida-State-Football-Predictions-300x260.jpg

You stereotype like a boss.