Great Talk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exigente chica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a great 4 hour face to face talk with an adcom from the MSTP program at Vanderbilt!! He used to be the director at Emory's MSTP. He told me alot of great info and some insider tips!!

I'm psyched!! Bring it on!!:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

ha nice! - wanna share those insiders tips? or is that what makes it insider;) take care

Jot!!! Hey there buddy!

so, I've been away for a while, great news on all of your interviews invites!! How did they go?? I wanna know..tell me tell me..:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by exigente chica
I just had a great 4 hour face to face talk with an adcom from the MSTP program at Vanderbilt!! He used to be the director at Emory's MSTP. He told me alot of great info and some insider tips!!

I'm psyched!! Bring it on!!:clap:

AWESOME. I was wondering if you could just write back with ANY and ALL tips that the adcom member from Vanderbilt MSTP said. Some specific questions I have are ...

1.) Do they tend to choose students based on who's research they will match up well with?

2.) Do they ultimately weight MCAT etc more than research experience?

3.) Do they ask detailed research questions during the interview?

4.) How many of their interviewees do they accept?

6.) Do they have some scoring system(including GPA/MCAT/interview score) for which they decide who gets accepted?

7.) ANY info would be much appreciated. Thanks

oh yeah, what are the insider tips?!?!

Ok, as soon as I have a sec I will give you all the scoop:eek:

Ok here goes, I appologize for the long wait:

THe first thing that he told me was "don't think that you can't get into Harvard, let them decide". THis was really a good quote, because many of us won't and don't apply to certain schools becasue we think that we will never be accepted, you never know unless you apply! But also, it is good to be realistic about where you have a good chance of getting accepted(I know kinda goes both ways).

He said that extracurriculars are very important, they show that a person did things besides excell in the school. A few meaningful ones are better than 15 mediocore ones. They ask in depth questions about them in the interview, so be prepared.
Getting published does help alot, but since few get a chance in undergrad, abstracts first authored or presenting at meetings is great!! Also, the publication don't have to be first author, as long as your name is there somewhere it helps!
When u get an interview they allready like you on paper, they want to you as a person. If you are not confident about yourself, then you can't sell yourself the the interviewrs!
Anwers to questions should be clear, and spoken with confidence. THis is not the time to be shy. Know you research inside and out and be able to tell which was the most meaningful experience if you had more than one experience.
Know why you want the MD/ Ph.D instead of either seperatly. Have good reasons and be able to integrate data about how doctors of the future need both!
In the personal statement tell what area you have done reasearch in, but if like most of us that's not the area you want you Ph. d in tell them something like: I am applying to the Biochem depatrment. I have worked on protien folding in this department, but I would really like to work in say Neuroscience. Also mention that you are interesting a a full range of programs, to show that you are not closing yourself off to possible alternatives.
THey take about 10-11 students per year. THey really want URM's and women to apply. A big demand there, he kept stressing this. THey only get like 1 a year.
Lor's are up there with GPA for vanderbilt. They better be shinning and not vague. He said that he has no problem reading PS for people, so I will pass the info on.

CAn't remember much more, been like 3 weeks now..Hope it helped some..

ciao
:cool:

Thanks chica!!!:clap:

ne time honey. SDn rules:love: