Adam638

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 16, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Can anyone tell me why in great vessel transposition, an infants fingers turn cyanotic before the toes??? I can't seem to figure out why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

FrickenhugeMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Life in the D' aint easy...
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Well usually when this happens there is also a ventricular septal defect and a patent ductus arteriosus. These secondary defects make life possible as they provide a way for oxygenated blood to reach the entire body.

with the vessels backwards and those secondary defects not present, blood would never get re-oxygenated. the lungs would also be a closed loop with the left side of the heart. The reason there is cyanosis is that the blood is coming from the body (vena cava) and then pumped out to the body again (right ventricle pumped to aorta in trasposition). The septal defect and patet ductus make it possible to mix in some oxygenated blood (but still no where near normal)

coldweatherblue

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Can anyone tell me why in great vessel transposition, an infants fingers turn cyanotic before the toes??? I can't seem to figure out why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

total guess, but it could be due to a PDA distal to the left-subclavian.

A baby with great vessel transposition can survive for a short time only if there is an ASD, VSD, or PDA. If there is no way for the blood to mix, the baby will probably be blue all over. Since the high-pressure is in the pulmonary circulation (coming out of the left-ventricle) blood flow across the PDA would be reversed from normal. So if the PDA were distal to the left-subclavian, oxygenated blood would flow from the left-ventricle -> pulmonary trunk -> PDA -> descending aorta, bypassing the upper-limbs and causing the infants fingers to be bluer than the toes.

like I said, just a guess! A PDA usually causes differential cyanosis with the toes turning blue and the fingers remaining normal. With great vessel transposition it could be reversed though because the blood would flow from pulmonary to systemic circulation.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.