greater baltimore medical center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

country belle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on greater baltimore medical center for a prelim year?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are an american medical graduate, I wouldn't reccomend it. Although the work hours are nice, I have heard that the teaching is poor and you should also realize that all of your upper level residents will be International medical graduates and therefore will have different teaching styles then you are used to. If you are looking for a relatively cush place to do your prelim year with good benefits and good teaching, I would highly recc Mercy Medical Center. Besides free breakfast, lunch, and occasionally dinner, all of the upper level residents there are U Maryland residents. The workload does get to be more difficult during the mid winter months when there are fewer sub-i's there, but you will always have 3rd years there to help you out too. I've heard better things about Union Memorial the GBMC too, if you want to consider that hospital as well. I wasn't all that impressed when I was over there, but at least they did manage to have free lunch just about every day. And then there are the Hopkins private hospitals, I'm sure that they have strong prelim programs as well.

Thanks for the info, ckent. I plan on interviewing at GBMC, but based on a recent post at scutwork.com, GBMC may not be as easy as it used to be. I'll definitely check out union and mercy.

thx,

yeah stay away from those IMGs. They can't teach.
Actually GBMC has some strong points to it. Be wary of Hopkins in any form (main campus or otherwise) for transitional/IM year. MIght I reccomend Christina in DE to you?

Steph
SGUSOM '99