1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Greatest Challenge/Weakness - Teamwork Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lovebox, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Lovebox

When an interviewer asks you what your greatest challenge working on a medical team is....what exactly are you supposed to say?

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be honestly blunt or what....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. senorsquishie

senorsquishie Is a girl O.o

Pre-Medical
    What ever you say, spin it into a possitive

4. Lovebox

Is it bad though to give a fault or yourself and which faults should you avoid?

5. pkwraith

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My answer applies to any challenge/weakness question.

Any question that you answer always need to circle around to the answer of why you would be a good physician and possess the qualities of one.

If you answer the question with "Problem is X", that fails to address the intent and opportunity of the question. The only thing you demonstrated is that you are self aware of problems. Being aware of a problem means nothing for your character without action.

The important part of the answer needs to be the "So what are going to do about Problem X?" Here's an example of a proper answer:
    "The biggest challenge is definitely my X. However, I have been doing Y and Z to improve the X, and I've been seeing great improvements. Example, A and B."
    An answer like that demonstrates willingness to improvement, strong self analysis skills, plan making, momentum, and positive character.

Any time you see a question:
    "What is your challenge/weakness/etc in anything?", you need to always mentally change it to:
    "What is your challenge/weakness/etc in anything (and how did you address it)"