Greek life...to mention or not to mention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacrosse87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Making out my AACOMAS application now. Have held quite a few leadership positions within my fraternity (albiet not president) and it's been an awesome, defining experience overall.

On the other hand, there are obviously some negative stereotypes associated with greek life. Pretty split about whether I'll mention it or not. Any discussion on the topic and what others have done would be awesome

Members don't see this ad.

I was never in greek life, and I'd still say to put it up. It show fraternity (greek term, though i guess the double meaning works fine here) and leadership. Those things count. The idea of it carry a negative stereotype, I'd suggest to you, is far exaggerated. No one really feels this way but people who have never seen greek life or those who weren't able to get into one but wanted to. I'd like to think AACOM would know leadership opportunities provded by greek life are very different than the "leadership" shown by Bluto in Animal house, or any other lampooned representation from TV and movies.

I put it down on my app and I was asked about it in both my interviews. I talked about the volunteer work I did through my frat, as well as the sports, and leadership opportunities. More importantly, I explained how I joined a frat in my junior year to step outside my comfort zone and challenge myself to do well academically while maintaining a social life and getting involved on campus.

At my Western interview, the only people I met were greek and wore their letters or symbols on small necklaces. I dont think I would recommend that though personally

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am concerned about putting my fraternity leadership experience in my application.

While I think DocEspana is right, there's still this "just in case I want to avoid mentioning it" feeling to it.

Personally, I don't know what I'll do once the time comes around, but I will say that if its your only leadership experience you should put it down.

It all depends on how you can spin the experience. If you primarily drank beer and sat around - don't put it on your app. If you were the president, initiated community service activities, and won awards for your leadership skills, put it on your application.

Put it on your application.

It is a service organization which meets at least once a week. It looks much better than say many other organizations on campus which have ~15 members on paper and meet once a month, if that.

Talk about the philanthropy events you participated in, extra time commitment of being on exec, and leaving the fraternity in a good position as to allow it flourish for years to come.

I was president of my sorority and won an award from my university's tri-council so I mentioned my greek life experience on my app.

I know a couple of girls in other sororities who chose not to mention their involvement, but it was purely a personal decision.

Yeah, I decided I'll include it. Trying to figure out the hours for that was kinda tricky, considering how I lived in the chapter house for two years and a lot of work was done outside of just chapter meetings. Oh well.

Thanks for all of the responses! Good luck to everyone else that's applying.

Now if only I could get around to writing that damn personal statement....haha :cool:

I have decided not to include mine. I don't want them to think the community service I did was forced or "highly encouraged" because I was in Greek Life. I want them to see and know that I did things like that because I like to. I also have PLENTY of other leadership and involvement to make Greek Life negligible.

I was VP of Finance and handled large accounts for the fraternity among many other leadership positions. I put it on my application and actually met a brother who happened to be interviewing me for a school.

Never seen it hurt anyone.

While we may not know of anyone that has been hurt by putting greek life on their apps, we don't really know what the adcom's are saying about the students... If even one member of the admissions committee has a strong negative stereotype about greek life, then it can possibly hinder a person's chances.

I put it in mine as well. I think you should include it, especially since you have leadership and volunteering experiences to discuss. As an additional point, you never know when you'll find a "brother" on the adcom or interviewing you. That would definitely ease the tension in the room.

While we may not know of anyone that has been hurt by putting greek life on their apps, we don't really know what the adcom's are saying about the students... If even one member of the admissions committee has a strong negative stereotype about greek life, then it can possibly hinder a person's chances.

Yea, but they could also have a negative outlook on sports teams, democrats, republicans, or theatre leadership too. I dont think any of these are any more likely than frats to be seen as likely to induce an unexplained negative reaction from a random adcom member. You can't allow something entirely out of your control make a decision when its positive in 95% of cases and application ruining in 5%. Its worth the odds to me.

Yea, but they could also have a negative outlook on sports teams, democrats, republicans, or theatre leadership too. I dont think any of these are any more likely than frats to be seen as likely to induce an unexplained negative reaction from a random adcom member. You can't allow something entirely out of your control make a decision when its positive in 95% of cases and application ruining in 5%. Its worth the odds to me.

Definitely agree. Its worth putting on. Also if you think you fall under the stereotypical "drink beer and party all day", exaggerate what you did. Say you were the vice president, they will never know if its true

Heck, couldn't it be spun if an adcom had a negative stereotype?

Ie, he drank and partied, slammed sorostitutes, etc... And still has a very competetive GPA/MCAT...

;)

Do you think if you interviewed 100 people, 95 would say they had a positive impression of Greek Life? I think that is quite high IMO...

I completely see what you are saying, and I think both sides have valid points. I just want them to see my long list of EC's and appreciate it for what it is. I don't want them thinking that the only reason I have so many volunteer or community service hours is because my frat did it or I had to do things like that for the group... I just enjoy helping others.

2 options

1) Write it if you were an active participant in a leadership role (Exec board, philanthropy etc.). It really is like running a small business and there are a lot of things to learn from this process and alumni. I held many positions and it made for great stories for secondaries and interviews. If this is your situation at all, definitely write it and elaborate on why it was important to you. I don't think they just assume you partied all day, especially if you elaborate on how the experience helped you grow.

2) If you just joined without holding an office or something and they ask you about it, you might look like a fool because they will assume you just joined to party. Don't bring it up/write it.

Do you think if you interviewed 100 people, 95 would say they had a positive impression of Greek Life? I think that is quite high IMO...

I completely see what you are saying, and I think both sides have valid points. I just want them to see my long list of EC's and appreciate it for what it is. I don't want them thinking that the only reason I have so many volunteer or community service hours is because my frat did it or I had to do things like that for the group... I just enjoy helping others.

Its more that I know all of these things work on grids and points (though no one admits it) and this is positive points. It doesn't matter how many have a 'positive' opinion as much as how many will do their job and admit it counts as leadership. I think only 5% will dislike frats so strongly that they're willing to sink the whole application over it despite the grid. (Intangibles are the biggest thing anyway).

But I also think 5% of the adcom are insane liberals who will sink it for right leaning leadership positions and (much more than) 5% of the adcom are insane reactionary conservatives who will do the same thing for left leaning leadership. Its not that its loved by 95%, its that these guys have a job to do that has rules and unnumerations: and few of them have strong enough opinions to ignore the duties of their position due to personal dislike.

I also totally get your point, I just think its important to realize you dont need to measure "love" since you dont need any 'positive' reaction to get the credit. You need to measure 'hate' since they need to ignore the rules of the assessment scales each school has for it not to be positive credit. Clearly the positive feelings are less than 95%, but saying the strong negative feelings are over 5% just doesn't mesh with my understand of how few people really have grudges against frats (or any other even slightly controversial extra curriculars)

I did a lot of positive things as a Greek in college. I got awards, scholarships, planned events, changed the school for the better, etc. I really loved it, so of course I talked about it on my app. and even in my interview. Look, everyone knows that most people in college drink, party, etc. Every adult knows that fraternities and sororities help you become social, a leader, etc. And everyone knows that even some frats/sororities do some "unethical" things that are borderline fun/hazing. It's cool, though. As long as your chapter at your school or your national org. isn't up for some crazy hazing charges, you'll be okay.

Of course, just being a Greek isn't enough. But really, putting it on your application wouldn't hurt, it can only help assuming you held high leadership positions, went to conferences, etc.

Good luck!