Grew up in poverty, abandoned by parents, got into undergrad Ivy, failed out-->med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookaprettyflower

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My parents immigrated from rural North Africa. Never went to school and punished me for pursuing school (I'm their first daughter). I grew up in poverty and went to a terrible HS (guns/violence). Despite this, I did extremely well, got published, good SAT's, all AP's, etc while working full time at 16. I was so dedicated, but so poor, I walked 16 miles to take my SAT's because nobody could drive me and I had no money for transport. I was screamed at and kicked out for going to my college interviews.
I applied to 19 top uni's , pretty much went down the list of top schools because I had no idea what I was doing.
I got into every one, and got into a really selective research-mentor program at an Ivy.
Failed all my classes 1st semester except one. Probation for 2nd semester, I had no idea what was going on and didn't do well again. Probation on 3rd semester, realized I was bipolar, was put on medication that I was allergic to and had to withdraw for a health leave. Got suspended for 1 year.
Suspension- I was a waitress and homeless and slept in the coatcheck in secret. Counseling under my insurance was crappy. No money to take classes, no guidance to do anything, pretty much focused on staying alive..
Let back in- probation for the next 2 semesters- the purpose of my suspension was to focus on my skills. But I was homeless so that really did not help.
Academic dismissal.
Why did I fail so badly?
  • No ****ing idea what I was doing, I had no guidance ( I enrolled into 20 hard science credits my 1st semester, didn't realize my ghetto HS was not enough preparation. College offers prep semester from kids of my background but they said my resume and app was so stellar it looked like I didn't need it)
  • I was alone and depressed ( parents abandoned me for pursuing college away from home)
  • My peers were so much more prepared. I didn't study in HS because I'm one of those kids that didn't need to, plus my HS was not idea, and so never developed any study skills
  • My HS had no resources so I didn't know how to use them in college
  • Health: my father is bipolar, he didn't know until now, I'm also bipolar. I did't know until after my suspension, because mental health is a stigma for my parents/they don't understand it/ I didn't know anything about it, onset of it begins at the age that I was doing poorly and played a HUGE role in not being able to handle my semesters even though I had so many issues already
It was just a slippery slope from the start. I am literally a textbook example of a socioeconomically disadvantaged high school student miserably failing an elite uni.
I have a letter that I wrote to myself when I was in 6th grade. I wrote it after I first asked my parents if they were saving up for college for me because I was worried. They said they weren't. I went to the bank the next day and asked about loans. I was 11. The lady laughed and told me to go home. I wrote a letter to myself to read after college. It was a letter outlining the next steps I would take in order to ensure I would get into a top private uni so I could get full aid, so I didn't need my parents, and a bunch of goals. I was supposed to have accomplished them all at this point.
I literally have no idea what to do now. I'm going to transfer into a CC in nyc that's ranked 3rd in the nation and transfer into a 4 year I guess. And maybe post-bacc. But my gpa right now is a 1.9, and I've been on multiple probations, a suspension, and the grand dismissal.
I refuse to give up, but am I being absurd not to move on from my dream?
I can't see myself doing anything else. I've tried so hard. But every time I step into a hospital or office I just know that being a doctor is the only thing that will make me happy. I know this for sure.
On a side note, since obviously trying to figure things out on my own hasn't worked out, any suggestions on a path I could take? Does my cc--> transfer into 4 year make sense? I barely have any credits since they're either failures or W's (ha). I have some B's and C's but I just wan't to start from scratch. Stuff I'm not aware about?
Any help is so much appreciated <3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,
My parents immigrated from rural North Africa. Never went to school and punished me for pursuing school (I'm their first daughter). I grew up in poverty and went to a terrible HS (guns/violence). Despite this, I did extremely well, got published, good SAT's, all AP's, etc while working full time at 16. I was so dedicated, but so poor, I walked 16 miles to take my SAT's because nobody could drive me and I had no money for transport. I was screamed at and kicked out for going to my college interviews.
I applied to 19 top uni's , pretty much went down the list of top schools because I had no idea what I was doing.
I got into every one, and got into a really selective research-mentor program at an Ivy.
Failed all my classes 1st semester except one. Probation for 2nd semester, I had no idea what was going on and didn't do well again. Probation on 3rd semester, realized I was bipolar, was put on medication that I was allergic to and had to withdraw for a health leave. Got suspended for 1 year.
Suspension- I was a waitress and homeless and slept in the coatcheck in secret. Counseling under my insurance was crappy. No money to take classes, no guidance to do anything, pretty much focused on staying alive..
Let back in- probation for the next 2 semesters- the purpose of my suspension was to focus on my skills. But I was homeless so that really did not help.
Academic dismissal.
Why did I fail so badly?
  • No ****ing idea what I was doing, I had no guidance ( I enrolled into 20 hard science credits my 1st semester, didn't realize my ghetto HS was not enough preparation. College offers prep semester from kids of my background but they said my resume and app was so stellar it looked like I didn't need it)
  • I was alone and depressed ( parents abandoned me for pursuing college away from home)
  • My peers were so much more prepared. I didn't study in HS because I'm one of those kids that didn't need to, plus my HS was not idea, and so never developed any study skills
  • My HS had no resources so I didn't know how to use them in college
  • Health: my father is bipolar, he didn't know until now, I'm also bipolar. I did't know until after my suspension, because mental health is a stigma for my parents/they don't understand it/ I didn't know anything about it, onset of it begins at the age that I was doing poorly and played a HUGE role in not being able to handle my semesters even though I had so many issues already
It was just a slippery slope from the start. I am literally a textbook example of a socioeconomically disadvantaged high school student miserably failing an elite uni.
I have a letter that I wrote to myself when I was in 6th grade. I wrote it after I first asked my parents if they were saving up for college for me because I was worried. They said they weren't. I went to the bank the next day and asked about loans. I was 11. The lady laughed and told me to go home. I wrote a letter to myself to read after college. It was a letter outlining the next steps I would take in order to ensure I would get into a top private uni so I could get full aid, so I didn't need my parents, and a bunch of goals. I was supposed to have accomplished them all at this point.
I literally have no idea what to do now. I'm going to transfer into a CC in nyc that's ranked 3rd in the nation and transfer into a 4 year I guess. And maybe post-bacc. But my gpa right now is a 1.9, and I've been on multiple probations, a suspension, and the grand dismissal.
I refuse to give up, but am I being absurd not to move on from my dream?
I can't see myself doing anything else. I've tried so hard. But every time I step into a hospital or office I just know that being a doctor is the only thing that will make me happy. I know this for sure.
On a side note, since obviously trying to figure things out on my own hasn't worked out, any suggestions on a path I could take? Does my cc--> transfer into 4 year make sense? I barely have any credits since they're either failures or W's (ha). I have some B's and C's but I just wan't to start from scratch. Stuff I'm not aware about?
Any help is so much appreciated <3
PM me. I can answer some questions for you. Im a MS3 at a allopathic school.

While it sounds like you were not privileged by any means, I am troubled by the fact that you have bolded certain parts of your story. Making people feel sorry for you will not get you into med school. You need to focus on showing medical schools how academically qualified you are, not telling emotional stories hoping that pity will make up for a bad GPA. Telling a medical school admission committee that you made bad grades because you were poorly prepared, mentally unstable, and homeless is not a good idea. They will be worried this will happen again. To answer your question, you need to find an environment where you can make straight As. That may be CC, then transfer back to a 4 year. That is a common route. It may be something else, only you can figure that out. But if you can't start consistently making As, you won't get into medical school and you should consider alternative careers.

Your situation sucks and it is admirable that you pushed yourself to get into a good college. But while colleges will give disadvantaged students a break when it comes to admission decisions, medical schools absolutely will not. I sincerely hope that it works out for you, but I feel it is important that you deviate from this line of thinking back into one where you sell yourself completely on academic merit.

Members don't see this ad :)
While it sounds like you were not privileged by any means, I am troubled by the fact that you have bolded certain parts of your story. Making people feel sorry for you will not get you into med school. You need to focus on showing medical schools how academically qualified you are, not telling emotional stories hoping that pity will make up for a bad GPA. Telling a medical school admission committee that you made bad grades because you were poorly prepared, mentally unstable, and homeless is not a good idea. They will be worried this will happen again. To answer your question, you need to find an environment where you can make straight As. That may be CC, then transfer back to a 4 year. That is a common route. It may be something else, only you can figure that out. But if you can't start consistently making As, you won't get into medical school and you should consider alternative careers.

Your situation sucks and it is admirable that you pushed yourself to get into a good college. But while colleges will give disadvantaged students a break when it comes to admission decisions, medical schools absolutely will not. I sincerely hope that it works out for you, but I feel it is important that you deviate from this line of thinking back into one where you sell yourself completely on academic merit.
i appreciate your input - but I bolded those parts because my post was very long, and if you just skim a really long post and see semi-interesting things, you'll probably want to read it, so I'll probably get more great responses and help. This is not a pity story by any means...

Personally, I disagree with Atomi that your experience would be a red flag to admissions committees. Your experience represents that of a large (and growing larger) economically/educationally/socially disadvantaged segment of the population. Many individuals in the medical community come from upper middle class backgrounds and tend to serve those in upper middle class communities. There is a huge need for individuals to serve in low income/disadvantaged areas and an even larger need for doctors who understand the challenges that these environments create both for health and access to health services. I don't see your background as something for concern but a perspective that you can bring to a medical school class/residency/practice.

As to getting to the place where you can apply to medical school. You need to take classes and earn a degree. My advice is to take classes at a place that 1) you can afford with minimal loans and 2) that has a supportive and nurturing environment (as opposed to the sink or swim mentality). Look for schools with strong programs to support first generation/low income students (they are out there and have a HUGE impact on student outcomes). Next, find a mentor who can help guide you through the challenges of colleges. You mentioned one of the biggest disadvantages that first generation students face above which is not having a mentor to give you advice on "how to do college." Someone whose parents went to college would tell them 20 credits of science is too much for a first term. So, find a mentor (again, look for programs for first generation college students). A rough two terms at the start of your academic career can be overlooked especially with extenuating circumstances. Continued rough academic performance raises red flags so only start taking classes when you are ready and able to do well. It doesn't matter (as much) what you study/where you study. What does matter (more) is that you do well in whatever major and classes you take. To that end, it is ok to start off with a smaller course load and work your way up. As you continue to take classes, your GPA will rise. Your cumulative gpa may not be the happy number that you would like but focus on your term by term/ year by year gpa. Medical schools will see this breakdown and will see a rough start and *hopefully* a strong middle and end to your studies.

Long story short:
- Don't panic, you can still pursue medical school if it is what you want
- Don't worry about where you take classes, just try to put yourself in a situation where you can do well
- Be proactive in asking for help (both of your professors and of academic resources on campus)
- Find a mentor who you can go to with questions (many colleges have some type of mentoring program - use it.)

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
It is perfectly reasonable to start at a CC and then transfer to a 4-year school. Just know that on your medical school application, every course, including your first university attempt, will be listed and calculated into your GPA. It will take you quite a bit of academic rehab and years of dedication, but it is possible.

Personally, I disagree with Atomi that your experience would be a red flag to admissions committees. Your experience represents that of a large (and growing larger) economically/educationally/socially disadvantaged segment of the population. Many individuals in the medical community come from upper middle class backgrounds and tend to serve those in upper middle class communities. There is a huge need for individuals to serve in low income/disadvantaged areas and an even larger need for doctors who understand the challenges that these environments create both for health and access to health services. I don't see your background as something for concern but a perspective that you can bring to a medical school class/residency/practice.

Most of this is true, but some of it is not. Further, it's not like medical schools lower the bar for people who grew up in a rough environment. It is not the mission of medical schools to admit otherwise unqualified applicants and produce incompetent physicians because they feel these people are more likely to return to the slums to provide care instead of move to an upper middle class community (my gut instinct is opposite yours in that I would think that people who grew up in the slums desperately want to get out of the slums, not go back to them) because hey, an incompetent doctor is better than no doctor at all right?

My point is, don't fall for this fallacy. It works for getting into college, not med school. You have to prove to the medical schools that you are academically qualified to handle the rigorous curriculum, are low risk for having a crisis and dropping out, and are low risk for failing your boards and/or becoming a dangerous practitioner. If the academic qualifications are there, the story might push you into the yes pile over a similar applicant, but it won't make up for poor academic performance.

I am certain I am not stating that the OP is or will be a "less qualified applicant" who needs the bar to be lowered to gain an admission. The OP has a significant amount of undergraduate study before his or her stats are set. I am saying that medical schools accept applicants with a range of GPA/MCAT scores for a variety of reasons. Just one week ago an applicant with a high GPA and a 25 MCAT was accepted to an elite medical program despite having an MCAT score that was 9 points lower than the average. (side note: Atomi, if you need further evidence of applicants recovering from less than stellar academic records, i suggest you read this forum). It is exactly for this reason that it is difficult to predict who will be accepted at any certain university based solely on the numbers. Medical schools have an inherent interest in admitting those who are academically qualified and have the necessary traits and experiences to be compassionate practitioners. So, my advice to the OP still stands: start taking classes when he/she is able to do well academically and look for programs that have support for first generation college students.

Further, if you read my post, you would see that I stated one or two rough terms can and often are weighted less heavily if the applicant 1) significantly improves academically and 2) had legitimate reasons influencing low academic performance such as being homeless. Does that mean a 3.0 GPA will get into a MD program? Probably not. Does that mean a 3.4 with a significant upward trend that applies broadly to MD and DO? I would bet on yes. Subsequent terms require significant improvement. Preparing and doing well on the MCAT is essential (as it is for every applicant).

Most of this is true, but some of it is not. Further, it's not like medical schools lower the bar for people who grew up in a rough environment. It is not the mission of medical schools to admit otherwise unqualified applicants and produce incompetent physicians because they feel these people are more likely to return to the slums to provide care instead of move to an upper middle class community (my gut instinct is opposite yours in that I would think that people who grew up in the slums desperately want to get out of the slums, not go back to them) because hey, an incompetent doctor is better than no doctor at all right?

My point is, don't fall for this fallacy. It works for getting into college, not med school. You have to prove to the medical schools that you are academically qualified to handle the rigorous curriculum, are low risk for having a crisis and dropping out, and are low risk for failing your boards and/or becoming a dangerous practitioner. If the academic qualifications are there, the story might push you into the yes pile over a similar applicant, but it won't make up for poor academic performance.
Thank you for your points. I think that it makes sense when you point out the difference between undergrad and med school, especially where you mentioned proving I would be low risk to them. I think that my story with academic improvement at a CC would help for transferring into an undergraduate uni, and coupled with major improvement and my ability to show I would not be risky after completion of undergrad would, keeping your perspective about the position med schools have in mind, would be a realistic outlook, I hope

As to getting to the place where you can apply to medical school. You need to take classes and earn a degree. My advice is to take classes at a place that 1) you can afford with minimal loans and 2) that has a supportive and nurturing environment (as opposed to the sink or swim mentality). Look for schools with strong programs to support first generation/low income students (they are out there and have a HUGE impact on student outcomes). Next, find a mentor who can help guide you through the challenges of colleges. You mentioned one of the biggest disadvantages that first generation students face above which is not having a mentor to give you advice on "how to do college." Someone whose parents went to college would tell them 20 credits of science is too much for a first term. So, find a mentor (again, look for programs for first generation college students). A rough two terms at the start of your academic career can be overlooked especially with extenuating circumstances. Continued rough academic performance raises red flags so only start taking classes when you are ready and able to do well. It doesn't matter (as much) what you study/where you study. What does matter (more) is that you do well in whatever major and classes you take. To that end, it is ok to start off with a smaller course load and work your way up. As you continue to take classes, your GPA will rise. Your cumulative gpa may not be the happy number that you would like but focus on your term by term/ year by year gpa. Medical schools will see this breakdown and will see a rough start and *hopefully* a strong middle and end to your studies.

Long story short:
- Don't panic, you can still pursue medical school if it is what you want
- Don't worry about where you take classes, just try to put yourself in a situation where you can do well
- Be proactive in asking for help (both of your professors and of academic resources on campus)
- Find a mentor who you can go to with questions (many colleges have some type of mentoring program - use it.)

Best of luck to you.
I really appreciate your detailed advice. I'm a little scared that medical schools don't focus on upward trends and filter through quickly, but at this point I can just follow that advice and do my best. Thanks for taking the time to give me these points :)

Reactions: 1 user
Med schools absolutely do focus on upward trends, but unfortunately, you don't have an upward trend. Couple that with having bipolar disease that is not controlled along with a history of flunking out of college, and yes, you are a very high risk applicant for med school. As things stand now, I would not want to take a chance on you, not because of your grades, but because I would be concerned that you would be unable to handle the rigors of medical training.

Medical school makes college look like preschool in terms of the curriculum volume and stress. I would advise you to start by first making sure your BPD is truly well-controlled. If you aren't currently being treated by a psychiatrist, make an appointment with one. Let your psychiatrist know that you are considering medical school, and see if s/he feels that you can handle medical training physically and emotionally. Particularly if you are the type of person whose BPD is adversely affected by sleep interference, medicine may not be the best career choice for you. But that is something you should determine with input from your psychiatrist, AFTER you get your BPD as well controlled as possible.

Once this is done, and assuming your psychiatrist feels that going to medical school would not adversely affect your health, then you can start to look at taking classes, getting medical experience, and preparing to apply. But do not skip the prior step. As bad as one academic failure due to BPD is on your application, two will be worse. And medical school is not worth losing your health or life over.

Best of luck to you.

Med schools absolutely do focus on upward trends, but unfortunately, you don't have an upward trend. Couple that with having bipolar disease that is not controlled along with a history of flunking out of college, and yes, you are a very high risk applicant for med school. As things stand now, I would not want to take a chance on you, not because of your grades, but because I would be concerned that you would be unable to handle the rigors of medical training.

Medical school makes college look like preschool in terms of the curriculum volume and stress. I would advise you to start by first making sure your BPD is truly well-controlled. If you aren't currently being treated by a psychiatrist, make an appointment with one. Let your psychiatrist know that you are considering medical school, and see if s/he feels that you can handle medical training physically and emotionally. Particularly if you are the type of person whose BPD is adversely affected by sleep interference, medicine may not be the best career choice for you. But that is something you should determine with input from your psychiatrist, AFTER you get your BPD as well controlled as possible.

Once this is done, and assuming your psychiatrist feels that going to medical school would not adversely affect your health, then you can start to look at taking classes, getting medical experience, and preparing to apply. But do not skip the prior step. As bad as one academic failure due to BPD is on your application, two will be worse. And medical school is not worth losing your health or life over.

Best of luck to you.
That's a great point. Kay Redfield Jamison talks about this in An Unquiet Mind, and her bipolar disorder was a major issue in ending up in psychology instead of medicine, which is much stricter in terms of the requirements.

The medical profession is veru unforgiving of mental illness. Good luck to you, but there is a huge stigmata and you'll be going in front of committees left and right to maintain and obtain your license. They want to make sure your patients are going to be treated and are treated safely. Qofqs comments are right on the money.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate your detailed advice. I'm a little scared that medical schools don't focus on upward trends and filter through quickly, but at this point I can just follow that advice and do my best. Thanks for taking the time to give me these points :)

I wouldn't trust a Bi-Polar Doctor with patients, just being honest. They are also going to look at your failed attempt at an Ivy League education, while others from the same socio-economic situation as you have prospered, you have not. So you can't use that as an excuse.

UPDATE--> My bio professor, who knows of my situation and saw my improvement this semester, was really upset and wrote a letter to the academic committee. I'm going to be able to stay in school AND get aid through an appeal. :):):):):):):):):):) To those saying having a mental situation is a stigma, I don't see it that way. Tons of people who are pre-med have various issues. The difference is that coming from my background, I couldn't address them before it hit during college alongside the issues that come with my socioeconomic background alone.

I wouldn't trust a Bi-Polar Doctor with patients, just being honest. They are also going to look at your failed attempt at an Ivy League education, while others from the same socio-economic situation as you have prospered, you have not. So you can't use that as an excuse.
I don't think there is a such thing as an excuse. There are explanations though, and coupled with upward trend with an understanding/reflection is a good thing I think. Tons of people who are pre-med have various mental issues ,they can't control the face that they have it. The difference is that coming from my background, I couldn't address them (lack of educated parents to recognize it or support it, a stigma of mental awareness coming from a certain background, etc) before it hit during college alongside the issues that come with my socioeconomic background alone. There are a lot of factors here. I would think that admissions are able to look at the big picture and understand things a bit more fully than your comment.

I don't think there is a such thing as an excuse. There are explanations though, and coupled with upward trend with an understanding/reflection is a good thing I think. Tons of people who are pre-med have various mental issues ,they can't control the face that they have it. The difference is that coming from my background, I couldn't address them (lack of educated parents to recognize it or support it, a stigma of mental awareness coming from a certain background, etc) before it hit during college alongside the issues that come with my socioeconomic background alone. There are a lot of factors here. I would think that admissions are able to look at the big picture and understand things a bit more fully than your comment.

You seem like a really nice girl, and I do wish you the best. What concerns me is the constant explanations that you give and it just seems like a bunch of excuses. You just keep mentioning parents, mental health and it just feels like a pity party. I know personally people who have had it much worse still graduate because they did not let all those things come in between. These admissions counselors have seen kids come from hell but still succeed. Your past is going to put a damper in your plans, not because of the situations you had to deal with, but those situations affecting your grades before. You could always go to CC and then transfer and apply for Med School if you really want too, nothing stopping you there. Just be ready for more rejection than usual, and look into other paths in the medical field because Med is generally not for everyone, even if it is their dreams. Don't think I am telling you that you can't do it, I am just saying that it is going to be much harder now. Good luck! ( I am Pre-Dental but I come from a family of MD's and I have seen admission process first hand).

Best of luck to you.
Thanks for your comment! If you were curious, my professor wrote a letter to the committee and this led to them allowing me to continue at my Ivy. So that is amazing news for me. My BPD took time to control, but it's been well since the summer. The reason why my prof wrote a letter was because he knew about my background and sitaution and saw me excel in the most recent semester. He also promised to write an excellent LOR. I hope that with my story and a continuing upward trend, I will have a chance!

You seem like a really nice girl, and I do wish you the best. What concerns me is the constant explanations that you give and it just seems like a bunch of excuses. You just keep mentioning parents, mental health and it just feels like a pity party. I know personally people who have had it much worse still graduate because they did not let all those things come in between. These admissions counselors have seen kids come from hell but still succeed. Your past is going to put a damper in your plans, not because of the situations you had to deal with, but those situations affecting your grades before. You could always go to CC and then transfer and apply for Med School if you really want too, nothing stopping you there. Just be ready for more rejection than usual, and look into other paths in the medical field because Med is generally not for everyone, even if it is their dreams. Don't think I am telling you that you can't do it, I am just saying that it is going to be much harder now. Good luck! ( I am Pre-Dental but I come from a family of MD's and I have seen admission process first hand).
I'm not sure how this is a pity party- the reason why I'm going into my background is to get advice that takes into account an understanding of my position. That way the advice would be more applicable and understanding. In addition, these are not excuses. Excuses deny responsibility. Explanations acknowledge responsibility but allow an exploration and understanding of a situation. I think that is important. This past semester I've come to a point where I was able to succeed, to a point where a professor was upset at the academic committee outcome due to seeing my upward trend (I was a top student in his bio class this past semester) while knowing my story. Due to this I'm allowed to continue at my Ivy school. My background is a huge factor in my initial failure, there are tons of studies on this. This is a fact. It's not an excuse. But I never let that stop me and I did better after some time of figuring it out on my own. There is a difference between doing badly and continuing to do badly and offering an excuse, vs doing badly, reflecting on what's going on, being able to explain the situation, and have an upward trend after that.

Don't you think every student that's struggled has offered these brands of excuses?

Everyone struggles to manage their emotions at times, and for better or for worse, many view "mental illness" as unwillingness to self-regulate. Moreover, most people have to struggle with finances at various times in their life.

I would focus on evidence rather than feelings in making your decision.
Wow. If you can even write that mental illnesses are relatable to "managing emotions" and an "unwillingess to self-regulate" then you really shouldn't be in medicine. I'm not trying to talk about the dumb and absurd views that other people may have, I'm focusing on what is true and what someone who is intelligent to be admitting people into medical school would be aware of as factual. In addition I'm not sure how you can compare "struggling with finances" to being homeless at 19... again.... these aren't excuses...but real factors that no doubt affected my outcome. I'm here not to dwell on that stuff but to get intelligent feedback, considering and understanding my past, that would be applicable.

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest part of your story needs to be how you recovered, grew as a person and undeniable proof of current longterm personal stability and the ability for excellence on point with your applicant peers. This is regardless of what you went through. It's a must.

The other history needs to be just that. That could be why some are reacting to this thread as it is. We don't know where you'll be in the future, but your initial post was heavily focused on the past, so much moreso than is needed to help with your dilemma.

Last edited:
The biggest part of your story needs to be how you recovered, grew as a person and undeniable proof of current longterm personal stability and excellence on point with your applicant peers. The other history needs to be just that. That could be why some are reacting to this thread as it is. We don't know where you'll be in the future, but your initial post was heavily focused on the past, so much moreso than is needed to help with your dilemma.
That's a good point! Thankfully, the present situation changed- there was improvement in my last semester which led to my professor helping with me staying in school for the next term. When I wrote this post I pretty much had no proof of "stability" and was looking for what to even do at a point of being expelled to be able to show stability in the future and to think about if there was stability and improvement, if medical school could still be an option giving everything into consideration. After news of my professor and the academic committee though, I at least know I'm going to be continuing here, and I'm at a point where pretty much every ""excuse"" is invalid because I've learned about all the variables going on and reflected on them. So what you're saying, "The biggest part of your story needs to be how you recovered, grew as a person and undeniable proof of current longterm personal stability and excellence on point with your applicant peers" is really exactly what I need to be focusing on now and in the future. Thank you!

Well after some additional consideration, you'll be given a full ride to Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, and Columbia because your feels.

After that, med school will be a breeze. If you fail out, they'll let you pass anyways because your feels.

Once med school is done, then residency will be a joke. Again, if you struggle, you'll be fine after you just write some run on sentences involving your feels.

Finally, practicing medicine is easy. And when you get sued by the parents of some kid you killed? Just tell the jury that your parents had low SES and that during surgery you were having a lot of feels.
I really don't feel like going into how you're completely missing the point of this post or what the point of posting my situation here was, so you win. Thanks for reducing sociology and previously unresolved mental health to feels by the way!

Last edited:
Again with the feels!

The MCAT doesn't give you 5 points because you have depression. Adcoms don't care about your feels. They don't really care about SES much either - although they do care about skin colors loosely tied to SES.
:thumbup:

What do your fee-fees say about that guy's cancer? What do your feeleys tell you that you should do about that girls STD's? That bullet hole in that guy's chest - how many extra credit points does it give for having low SES parents? That choking child - the child! about to die in your arms - does it matter more than your feelereydos?

Low SES:
Newton's parents were farmers.
Picasso's dad was a failed painter.
Shakespeare's father was (probably) fired from several jobs, and poor Bill was incessantly ridiculed by high SES ivy-equivalent grads.
Steve Jobs' adoptive father was a low SES mechanic.
Einstein's father was a disgraced entrepreneur.
Jordan's father worked in maintenance.
Owens' parents were sharecroppers.

Psychological Problems
Freud - Chronic depression
Lincoln - Chronic, severe depression
Beethoven - Bipolar
Darwin - Agoraphobia
Tolstoy - Depression
Newton - Agoraphobia, depression, schizoid
Nash - Schizophrenia

+millions in each category who overcame those barriers at lower levels of achievement

Last edited:
What do your fee-fees say about that guy's cancer? What do your feeleys tell you that you should do about that girls STD's? That bullet hole in that guy's chest - how many extra credit points does it give for having low SES parents? That choking child - the child! about to die in your arms - does it matter more than your feelereydos?

At this point you are just trolling.

To lookaprettyflower,

This was not mentioned, but I would try to connect with your parents. I understand some of the cultural baggage that immigrant parents can bring, but you will likely regret if you do not try to rekindle a relationship (in spite of the pains involved). They did not want you to go far away for an education, in hindsight they were probably correct.

Hope you the best

Low SES:
Newton's parents were farmers.
Picasso's dad was a failed painter.
Shakespeare's father was (probably) fired from several jobs, and poor Bill was incessantly ridiculed by high SES ivy-equivalent grads.
Steve Jobs' adoptive father was a low SES mechanic.
Einstein's father was a disgraced entrepreneur.
Jordan's father worked in maintenance.
Owens' parents were sharecroppers.

Psychological Problems
Freud - Chronic depression
Lincoln - Chronic, severe depression
Beethoven - Bipolar
Darwin - Agoraphobia
Tolstoy - Depression
Newton - Agoraphobia, depression, schizoid
Nash - Schizophrenia

+millions in each category who overcame those barriers at lower levels of achievement
Your incompetence and inability to properly analyze a situation presented truly amazes me. How in the world are you pre-med? I suppose you're one of those rigid textbook-"smart" people. Unfortunately comprehension isn't something that can be learned :( This post is about advice on how to best continue from a low point in order to be successful. The people you mentioned have finished their careers and gotten through their low points. I'm not presenting my situation as my full story and asking you to view me as successful, using those details as excuses. I'm 20 with my life ahead of me, and asking for realistic advice on how to continue from this point to achieve success, and if medical school would understand that there was an extenuating circumstances that could explain an initial failure, obviously coupled with evidence of improvement and an ability to demonstrate myself to be a competitive and stable applicant for the rest of my time without these circumstances affecting me anymore. Thank you for making me feel better about my cognitive abilities though

I think you absolutely have a chance. You threw yourself to the wolves without proper preparation and got mauled.
It's time for the hard reset.
Do your 2 years at CC. Hit up whatever study support, counseling services, etc they have. Learn how to study, use the library, Internet, write competent essays, etc. Start slow, not a full load and work your way up. Crush your classes like your dream depends on it. Then after 3-4 semesters figure out if you're ready to swim with the sharks or maybe Dolphins. Then make your move to a 4 year college. Pick a degree with a future, STEM, as a plan B. If you still want to be a physician at that time, and your "new" grades are adequate, I think you'll be able to easily explain your reason for early failure and find success.
Good luck. Put the past behind you and start fresh.

Reactions: 3 users
Miami_Postbac, apply to 50+ schools? Are you nuts? Do you even think about what you type while posting? I think it's time you hit the breaks and post in some other thread.

OP, take classes where you can do well and where you can afford without accumulating a significant snowball of student debt. Focus on minimizing outside responsibilities as much as is practicable so you can focus on your classwork and earning good grades. Don't worry about an individual semesters grades (i.e. a B+ or B) but look at the whole picture. You will never get rid of your first semesters grades so don't try. Instead, do well so that those grades can be viewed as representative of what you were able to do at the time and not what you are capable of now. Come back to the forums periodically for updates and advice. When your stats start to solidify the forums can help you target schools, probably a combination of MD and DO. Until then, leave this thread behind, put your head down and start putting one foot in front of the other. Best of luck to you.

Realistic advice - Go to a JC. Get a 4.0. If you can't do that you won't hack it at a university in STEM. Go to a decent university. Get a 3.8+. 516+ on the MCAT. Take classes from male professors, if your grades aren't great then go to office hours and cry. Polarizing sob story in PS while applying to 50+ schools, pray some softy goes to bat for you.

Look at the data:

https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstablea16.pdf

You need a 3.7 to be median matriculant, closer to 3.8 if white or asian