Grey's Anatomy: F**! ed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulgethetwine

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All I learned about medicine, I learned on Grey's Anatomy:

1. I should assume orthopedic female residents are lesbians. Or bisexuals.
2. Residents get haunted by ghosts of dead patients
3. 2nd year residents get to operate by themselves
4. Interns practice suturing on themselves
5. Trauma patients in the ER get resuscitated by a collection of 1st and 2nd year categorical residents, neurosurgical attendings, and a plastic guy. Oh, the latter is also boarded in ENT, so it's all right.
6. If you have Asperger's, you can be a cardiac surgeon. (He said Assburglers)
7. 2nd year residents masturbate a lot. And have sex with ghosts (see #2)
8. Hospitals routinely practice "experimental" surgery

This show is board certifiably crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

My favorite part of the show is that there are NEVER rounds, and as soon as you operate on somebody, they are discharged well before the next episode. Unfortunately though there is apparently no ancillary staff, and the ER has no attendings so the surgery department covers it.

I love that the surgeons are the ONLY doctors in the hospital...yet stroll to work in broad daylight and have frequent breaks for coffee/bitching about each other/random sex with each other

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally stopped watching the show a few episodes ago. What really put it over the edge were Dennie's return and the autistic CT surgeon (sorry, that's a little over the top for Asperger's...more like Rain Man). I should have stopped watching last year when Izzie went nuts. Her character should really be in prison now.

On the other hand, the show is set in Seattle so the fact that the ED is run by random non-EM people may be fairly realistic.

I never made it through one episode. I always thought it was General Hospital shown at night.

Take care,
Jeff

You guys never slipped on ice on the way in to work only to be impaled by a falling icicle? Happened to me 3 times just last year.

Usually I'm one of those "Well, I don't like it, but I respect your opinion" type of people.

But let me be blunt: If you enjoy Grey's Anatomy for anything but it's absurdity you likely meet the DSM-IV criteria for mental ******ation.

I have never watched it but some of my co workers do and they like it.
I use to like ER until it got to much like a soap.
then I like scrubs it is so funny.

House is admittedly absurd as well. I have yet to believe that a patient could actually be as confusing as the 3 patients an episode that they somehow get. (Ok, maybe one in a career at a tertiary referral center, but 3 a day?) I watch it to hone my bedside manner after House's. Some of the things he says to patients, I wish I could memorize and shout at my patients one or two times a shift.

House is admittedly absurd as well. I have yet to believe that a patient could actually be as confusing as the 3 patients an episode that they somehow get. (Ok, maybe one in a career at a tertiary referral center, but 3 a day?) I watch it to hone my bedside manner after House's. Some of the things he says to patients, I wish I could memorize and shout at my patients one or two times a shift.

I love his bedside manner. and I agree I saw one that the mom brought in her son though he had a rash but it turned out to be dye from the couch. That one was dumb.
:uhno:

I keep wondering, how little OR time are these guys anticipating getting in 5 years if they're resorting to operating on themselves? This must be one of the crappiest programs in the country.

The thing i learned from greys: we should have all gone into derm

Haha, oh I loved that episode... especially when Christina says "...all you have to do is really love lotion!!" LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't watch Grey's at all... and I swore off House after some ricidulous episode that didn't make medical sense, not to mention that he was doing his own brain biopsies, or something like that.

Scrubs, I like.

Now the real question is, how many of us occasionally watch "Mystery Diagnosis" or "Dr. G" etc on Discovery Health to see how quickly you can nail the dx? (My parents had it on over Christmas and I just kept casually saying "it's hantavirus" or "it's lyme disease" - the family was amazed. I then reminded them that this is what I do every day. They thought it was a great game to see how quickly I'd get it. Not that they were terribly difficult... to make good TV, it has to be some sort of fascinoma.)

PS. Dr. G was my ME in residency, but I never got to meet her. But she seems a lot cooler than Dr. House.

the thing about house is that not only is he ridiculous, but they present these cases that are meant to be all cool and interesting and weird, but in the end it turns out to be some stupid crap banal case.

the thing about house is that not only is he ridiculous, but they present these cases that are meant to be all cool and interesting and weird, but in the end it turns out to be some stupid crap banal case.

And it's never lupus.. ;)

Real things I needed to know about medicine, I learned from TV. My textbooks were nothing but lies.

- With rare exceptions, only people under 40 get sick.
- Unless you are a parent of a doctor, in which case you better start picking out your tombstone now
- The healthier and sexier you are, the greater the chance of contracting some life-threatening illness.
- And if you date a resident, that chance becomes 100%.
- Doctors do their own IV lines and run their own lab tests.
- Nurses and ancillary staff are not allowed to speak on hospital premises and exist only to show doctors information on clipboards.
- The cuter the kid, the more deadly the ailment. Ugly kids never get sick.
- In Seattle, every case is surgical.
- Post-op complications do not exist.
- Every doctor graduated at the top of their class.
- Every doctor went to either Hopkins, Harvard or Stanford.
- Therefore, the American medical education system graduates only 3 doctors per year.

Nono, Meredith went to Dartmouth!

Haha, nice!! A few more:

- If you've lost your mind and are hallucinating a ghost, you can spend all day having sex with them in the on-call room. People will hear your moans and just assume you're flying solo.
- No one ever gets kicked out of residency, not even for operating on other interns or killing heart transplant patients. You won't even be suspended.
- Most residents and attendings don't have spouses or kids, leaving them plenty of time to date each other, in various combinations, over and over again.
- All patients speak English, unless there's a very hot Hispanic nurse around, in which case occasionally a cute kid or an elderly woman will need a translator.
- Never trust the janitor.

You all forgot the most important one: On call rooms are around every corner and in the middle of hallways and they are used only for sex - no sleeping happens in them.

To take the thread in a slightly different direction:
I've noticed there are rarely EM residents. Does this reflect the archaic teaching structure at U Dub? Does the show get its "technical advice" from Harborview?

To take the thread in a slightly different direction:
I've noticed there are rarely EM residents. Does this reflect the archaic teaching structure at U Dub? Does the show get its "technical advice" from Harborview?

Given that there is apparently no neurology service and new onset epilepsy is worked up by a team of general surgery interns at Seatle Grace, it seems the ED is actually fairly large by comparison.

I do wonder who gives the technical advice for that show.

oh and surgeons run the clinics, not internists. thats why they went into surgery right?

(this is from ER but)

If your arm is amputated by a helicopter blade, 3 years later the helicopter will fall off the roof of the hospital killing you.

lol

so which show is the most realistic?

lol

so which show is the most realistic?

I hope no physician watches any of these hoping for realism. Just remember they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank while we bit*h about realism on SDN.

House would have my vote though. If I can learn how to hone my racist, sexist, arrogance & obnoxious jerk skills into a guy who actually secretly gives a rats ***** I'll be a better EM dude because of it.

I don't watch Grey's at all... and I swore off House after some ricidulous episode that didn't make medical sense, not to mention that he was doing his own brain biopsies, or something like that.

Scrubs, I like.

Now the real question is, how many of us occasionally watch "Mystery Diagnosis" or "Dr. G" etc on Discovery Health to see how quickly you can nail the dx? (My parents had it on over Christmas and I just kept casually saying "it's hantavirus" or "it's lyme disease" - the family was amazed. I then reminded them that this is what I do every day. They thought it was a great game to see how quickly I'd get it. Not that they were terribly difficult... to make good TV, it has to be some sort of fascinoma.)

PS. Dr. G was my ME in residency, but I never got to meet her. But she seems a lot cooler than Dr. House.

I'm not even a medical student yet and I do that, with mystery diagnosis and stuff... I've gotten really good (guess that's what happens when you grow up in a family of doctors and spend your spare time reading about rare and fascinating diseases). I used to be a big fan of Dr. G... then I saw an actual autopsy and now I just get disappointed that they blur out all the good parts...