Griffith Medical School-Australia-why is the tuition cheaper than other schools for internationals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroalltheway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have applied to Australian schools as an international student for the MD program (graduate pathway). I am debating about which school I should pick and after weighing the course structure, clinical exposure and overseas elective options and cost, I was thinking that Griffith might be a good choice. However, I am a little worried about why Griffith's tuition is cheaper than the other Australian schools. Is it because the course is not that good, or they do not have good resources, or is it just because they are a newer school relative to the other Australian universities and so do not necessarily have the established position, hence the lower tuition?

If anyone can shed light on this, it will really help me out in my decision-making process.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I have applied to Australian schools as an international student for the MD program (graduate pathway). I am debating about which school I should pick and after weighing the course structure, clinical exposure and overseas elective options and cost, I was thinking that Griffith might be a good choice. However, I am a little worried about why Griffith's tuition is cheaper than the other Australian schools. Is it because the course is not that good, or they do not have good resources, or is it just because they are a newer school relative to the other Australian universities and so do not necessarily have the established position, hence the lower tuition?

If anyone can shed light on this, it will really help me out in my decision-making process.

Hey, I'm not sure why the tuition fees at Griffith University are lower but I can shed some light on the Medical Course as I'm about to start it next year. The first year and second year is focused on teaching you all the content required to get you started in clinical years. Unlike universities such as the University of Melbourne where they cover about 2 years worth of Griffith content in the first year and start clinical rotations from the second year. In that way, the Griffith course is a much more laid back and allows you to go at your own pace. This is even better if you are thinking of sitting the step 1 at the end of the first year as you'll have time to study for it in the first and second year. Whereas, if you went to the University of Melbourne then you would be pretty busy in the first year just trying to catch up with the load of content and then in the second year when clinical starts I doubt you'll have as much time.

I guess it depends on what your goals are for after medical school. Griffith University is definitely a good medical school and has nothing wrong with it. There are good facilities, motivated lecturers, a new hospital just a few minutes away and Gold Coast is just a paradise.

Hope this helps you :)