Griffith's 5mcc (PDA) vs. Washington Manual (book)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlianaSedai

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting my Medicine rotation (it's my first one) and I'm confused about how to fill my pockets. I have a PocketPC which I plan to put my drug references on, but what should I use as a reference manual to peek in before rounds?

Is 5mcc good for this or should I actually have a book? I'm not a big person, and I really don't want all this HEAVY stuff in my pockets.... Therefore, the more I can use efficiently on the handheld PDA, the better so as not to weigh me down. Any help or insights?

Members don't see this ad.

IlianaSedai said:
I'm just starting my Medicine rotation (it's my first one) and I'm confused about how to fill my pockets. I have a PocketPC which I plan to put my drug references on, but what should I use as a reference manual to peek in before rounds?

Is 5mcc good for this or should I actually have a book? I'm not a big person, and I really don't want all this HEAVY stuff in my pockets.... Therefore, the more I can use efficiently on the handheld PDA, the better so as not to weigh me down. Any help or insights?

I have the Washington Manual (and Ferri, and 5mCC) on my PDA, and it seems very workable. Certainly better than lugging a couple of books around.

flighterdoc said:
I have the Washington Manual (and Ferri, and 5mCC) on my PDA, and it seems very workable. Certainly better than lugging a couple of books around.

Hmm, so do you actually need/use all three? Or could I survive by purchasing just one of these for the pda? (It would save a lot of money!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also used both 5MCC and washington manual on pda. I will choose 5MCC if I can't afford both but Washington manual is also very good. Good luck.

Thank you for all of your advice. I've decided to spring for 5mcc (PDA), but not to get the pda version of Washington Manual right now because the old version has some bad reviews and the Lippincott web site says the new pda version is forthcoming.

However, I did pick up the Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics book yesterday from the bookstore. Do you think I should keep this book and have it with me in a pocket in addition to 5mcc (PDA), or should I return it and get my $40 back?