1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Grignard and Carboxylic acid

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by JustwantDDS, Aug 4, 2011.

1. JustwantDDS

JustwantDDS DrAMG
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What happens here?
    can someone link me something so i can look at it

i tried searching but couldnt really get what i was looking for

2. toothhornet88

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    http://www.mhhe.com/physsci/chemist...arey04oc/ref/ch19reactioncarboxylicacids.html
    go where it says Preparation of Carboxylic Acid Derivatives and look where it has a carboxylic acid reacting with a base...well that's what happens when grignard reacts with a carboxylic acid. Plus if you have more than one mole of Grignard it will latch on to the O- to become O-MgX

3. Demps

Dental Student
    I think you get two rounds of nucleophilic attack on the carbnoyl and end up with a tertiary alcohol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Clancyp

Pre-Dental
    Usually its the same with esters too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. needzmoar

The grignard and a carboxylic acid is a wasteful acid base reaction. I believe you and the posters above are looking for the organolithium reagent with a carboxylic acid followed by hydrolysis to form a ketone. That's one of the key differences between organolithium reagent vs the grignard.

edit: here's a link http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv5p0775

essentially it's just 2 molar eq of RLi + carboxylic acid followed by acidic hydrolysis

#5 needzmoar, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  6. PooyaH

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That would be the case with esters, which is called sapofinication (ester hydrolysis by a strong base), but Gringard always reacts with the most acidic hydrogen first. So in case of carboxylic acid, it would make a carboxylate.