Gross Anatomy Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMarioNES

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This summer I begin my journey into medicine. The first class that we will be taking is Anatomy. I just wanted to get advice from those that have gone through it. Is there anything I can do prior to beginning the class to prepare for it? If you had to take it again what would you do different? Thanks. Any advice is welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

DrMarioNES said:
Hello everyone. This summer I begin my journey into medicine. The first class that we will be taking is Anatomy. I just wanted to get advice from those that have gone through it. Is there anything I can do prior to beginning the class to prepare for it? If you had to take it again what would you do different? Thanks. Any advice is welcomed.

1. Nope, no need to prepare. If you must, go over medical terminology.

2. Don't forget while you are dissecting to actually learn the structures you are plowing through instead of waiting til a few days before the test.

3. Read the manual before the dissection, so you know what you are doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I reccommend BRS Anatomy.

What worked for me is that before studing the lecture material, I learned all of the structures in the atlas first, in order to allow me to visualize them while reading.

I found that a Rohen atlas was worth every penny; especially before the exam when the lab was locked down.

OSUdoc08 said:
1. Nope, no need to prepare. If you must, go over medical terminology.

2. Don't forget while you are dissecting to actually learn the structures you are plowing through instead of waiting til a few days before the test.

3. Read the manual before the dissection, so you know what you are doing.

Great advice... just realize any anxiety is eliminated, because since everyone else is doing it, you do it, until you don't even think twice that you are cutting up a dead person. It is similar to peer pressure, and that "gotta be like everyone else" takes charge and worrying about dissecting becomes the last thing on your mind. I didn't know if you were asking about this too, but I assumed.

oldjeeps said:
I found that a Rohen atlas was worth every penny; especially before the exam when the lab was locked down.

I second the Rohen-----when you are in lab studying, nothing is labeled, so you don't know if you are exactly right. Rohen is labeled photos of cadavers.

It also helped me out in neuroanatomy.

hey! i would second all of the advice given above....for me, anatomy was the hardest subject...i had no clue how to study for it....honestly speaking, i do not think getting an early start would helped me any....you do get more than enough time to study anatomy during the semester, but you have to know how to study efficiently....

i bought every single resource on the market for anatomy, and pretty much used all of them to some extent....i just took my last practical today for anatomy, and think that i improved my performance substantially...if i were to go back and redo it, this how it would be:

1) invest in Netter's and Rohen - my school also placed heavy emphasis on the Grant's dissector for the lab portion, so i had to but that as well (though i found it to be a very poor resource)...

2) go through the structures after each week's dissection (or after finishing a particular region, say upper limbs) in netter's and rohen's, and go and identify them in lab - so as to establish landmarks, etc.

3) ATTEND TA SESSIONS RELIGIOUSLY (not sure if all other schools have TA sessions, but i'm sure they do)....this was a big mistake i made int he beginnning....i am generally "a non lecture, self study" type student and figured i wouldnt' pay attnetion during TA sessions and find them useless....this was a mistake....though anatomy is about memorization, there is simply too much information to be memorized, and very easy to get caught up in memroizing minute details/structures that are hardly ever tagged, or clinically significant....reading a book/charts by rote memorization is not an effective tool for anatomy....by going to TA's (I found it best to find a TA who is interactive and quizzes you along the way), you are able to distinguish the important structures (after all the y have been through the course before), establish land marks (as they TELL you all of them - again they have gone through the course successfullly), and learn good PNEUMONICS, and know how to apply them immediately (rather than wasting time memorizing htem) - therefore, going through the lab with an older, experienced, student is key!

4) finally, for lecture/written part of anatomy, i would focus solely on class notes, with special attnetion to all clinical correlations (esp. those related to osteology)....I would also invest in a small, concise, review book, like High Yield Gross Anatomy, to make sure that you've hit all the important points for the shelf, etc, and also for a quick tool for review.

5) i personally thought that reading a book was the worst possible way to study for anatomy even though "it may help tie things together." It simply takes too long to read a text like Moore and Dally (or Moore and Agur for that matter), and often times i found myself getting caught up with "the easy stuff" by simply sitting their and memorizing useless details, and ignoring the important concepts.......(do bare in mind, that if reading has always worked for you in the past....then don't change it now for anaotmy either....but for the vast majority of students, i think that textbooks simply don't cut it for anatomy)....

6)i also found myself spending time on TOO MANY DIFFERENT RESOURCES....remember that EFFICIENCY and REPETITION is key - its more efficient to learn the important structures/key points from one resource and going over them several times rather than buying 10 different books, and reading all of them once and confusing yourself...

:p make friends with your lab group and have pleasant dissections....don't rely on other people to form "study groups" if you are having a hard time....go to the lab yourself, attend TA sessions, and kick butt!

I already owned Clemente and Gray's before school began, and I purchased Grant's, Rohen's, and Netter's.

I only used Rohen's and Netter's.

Thank you all for your input. I will certainly make good use of your advice.

Frank Netter is a God.

Remember this and you will be just fine.

oh yeah, in addition to "The Gospel According to Frank" you should check out the new Gray's Anatomy for Students

This came out after I had already gotten most of the way through Gross, but I remember hearing some of my professors yapping about how awesome it was and how they wish it could have been released a few months earlier so my class could have used it. I haven't seen it personally but have only heard good things. Here's a link

http://www.harcourt-international.com/catalogue/title.cfm?ISBN=0443066124

DW3843 said:
oh yeah, in addition to "The Gospel According to Frank" you should check out the new Gray's Anatomy for Students

This came out after I had already gotten most of the way through Gross, but I remember hearing some of my professors yapping about how awesome it was and how they wish it could have been released a few months earlier so my class could have used it. I haven't seen it personally but have only heard good things. Here's a link

http://www.harcourt-international.com/catalogue/title.cfm?ISBN=0443066124

Most people I know just used atlases and notes, and didn't really turn to textbooks anyway. Make sure you are going to use it before you buy one. I wasted my money on a Dalley/Moore.

OSUdoc08 said:
Most people I know just used atlases and notes, and didn't really turn to textbooks anyway. Make sure you are going to use it before you buy one. I wasted my money on a Dalley/Moore.

This is good to know.

There should be a sticky with helpful tips for all first-year classes. OSUdoc...you always seem to put forth great advice (hint-hint) :D . I'm sure the soon-to-be MS2s wouldn't mind some advice for the fall as well.

Something that helped me was seeing dissection videos online before the actual lab activity. I found them mid way through the course and did better because of them. Google em. Knowing what you are gonna be looking at is great for reducing stress and getting yourself in the right frame of mind.

Seriously, enjoy your summer. Anatomy has the shortest half-life in terms of memory of any of the disciplines you'll learn in the first year. You'll honestly be wasting most/all of your time.....

I would learn the definition to the following terms:

-left
-right
-anterior
-posterior
-superior
-inferior
-lateral
-medial

Once you've done that, go climb K2. You're be ready for med school.