Gross Anatomy Tales?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spectrum

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the time lapse between death and med student cadaver status? Has anyone heard of someone accidentally working on a body of someone they knew in life?

Members don't see this ad.

When my uncle was in medical school (way back) he got the body of some acquaintance from down the pub (who he didn't know had died lol).

The time lapse isn't long. A cadaver in our anatomy lab this semester wasn't embalmed correctly and needed to be replaced. The replacement cadaver was alive when the semester started.

As for the acquaintance thing, my grandmother passed a few months before school started. I asked our prof about it and he said if any student can recognize any of the bodies they'll replace them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our cadaver died last spring. We were told to alert the professors if we had anyone close that died in Northwest Ohio in the past year that could potentially have donated their body.

My group's cadaver died 9/27 and anatomy started the third week of October, so take that for what you will. Pretty creepy.

I've heard ours range from a few months to a couple years. They don't tell us when they died, so I'm not sure how old my corpse is.

What is the time lapse between death and med student cadaver status? Has anyone heard of someone accidentally working on a body of someone they knew in life?

- Time lapse can depend.

People don't always die in time for the anatomy class - the school will keep receiving cadavers year round, even after you are finished with anatomy. And they may have more cadavers than they need for each class. So it can be up to > 1 year before a cadaver is used.

- Everyone has heard a story of someone who worked on the body of someone they knew in real life. I don't know how many of those are true, though.

Our school had an exchange with another school that was several hundred miles away. We had some fresh bodies but they were from out of town. We always knew when new bodies were arriving because we knew the truck. Later when I would see that truck on the highway, I knew what it was carrying. It was kind of creepy.

Our chairman of Anatomy said that our school got many more donations that we could use so the exchange was always working in both directions. I remember that one of our fresh cadavers was a former Dean of a Nursing School.

My one professor told us that he has signed up for body donation. My only wish, besides him having a good life, is him not falling over before classes start next fall.

We had a lethal injection from May 16 and our class started last week of Aug.

No ****ing way you had an executed convict, no ****ing way.

Haha, not my tank, but yes we did....and it took like 30 seconds to google him and figure out who its was...matched his pic too. Charles Edward Smith. Killed a cop with a .357 while driving down the highway. Pretty mean dude...made obscene gestures toward the widow of the cop he killled during the trial, didn't play well with others in prison. Had a very large last meal...16 pepsis, a strawberry shortcake, 9 tacos, etc...no last words. All I remember.

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/smith1076.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, I didn't think they would be allowed to donate. Did it really say "lethal injection?" I guess there's no HIPAA for dead guys!

Awesome, I didn't think they would be allowed to donate. Did it really say "lethal injection?" I guess there's no HIPAA for dead guys!

Yes, we're given a list of the causes of death and age, and in the lab orientation lecture the prof said we might want to check out the cause listed for tank number x, as it was a little out of the ordinary...."Lethal Injection"

Oh yeah we are given that info here as well. I was referring to your disclosure of his name. :)

Oh, haha...didn't really think about it, seemed so public already. Now they'll haul my butt off to jail and he'll get the last laugh:D.

Geez, I hope they pumped his stomach well before giving him to you!

I was a little off....here's the real quote:

Final/Special Meal:
Nine tacos, 9 enchiladas, French fries, 16 Pepsis, salad with ranch dressing, a bowl of picante sauce, beef fajitas, a bowl of shredded cheese, a strawberry cake with strawberry frosting and six jalapeno peppers.

He must have been a time bomb. Dunno, think I could've done better for my last culinary exp, especially with all that time to think about it, but to each his own.

Nine tacos and nine enchiladas? That is a damn fine last meal.

Nine of anything is too much. Except brownies. I would need waaay more than nine brownies...no nuts, no icing...just brownies. Mmmmm.

I think Depakote's meal would be enough to get PETA's people out in the streets protesting FOR his execution.:p

PS I'm so surprised you're in Texas.

;)

Or you could just ask for blowfish as your last meal and instead of eating the carefully excised portion just down the whole fish. Kill yourself a couple hours early out of spite.

I was a little off....here's the real quote:

Final/Special Meal:
Nine tacos, 9 enchiladas, French fries, 16 Pepsis, salad with ranch dressing, a bowl of picante sauce, beef fajitas, a bowl of shredded cheese, a strawberry cake with strawberry frosting and six jalapeno peppers.

DAMN! Do they let him eat that throught the day or what? He must have wasted a lot of food. 16 can's of Pepsi? I am more of a Coca Cola guy myself.

Or you could just ask for blowfish as your last meal and instead of eating the carefully excised portion just down the whole fish. Kill yourself a couple hours early out of spite.

See? Now why couldn't he have thought of that....go down like a man dammit. Would've left a nice surprise for the med students too.

Good God, man. That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. I get chest pain just looking at it.

Dudes, have y'all seeeen the stuff John Madden features from time to time on was Mon/now Sun Nite Football...there has to be a spike in bypass surgeries after those images are flashed nationally. That monstrosity fits right in. Nasty.

We had a girl the year before us that recognized her great uncle. They had the body switched ASAP.

Texas is now officially the coolest place to go to med school.

Well, my school handles the health care for 80% of Tx inmates...so we get the "hook up" on that sort of deal. Not sure if the other Tx schools accept bodies from the prison system.

The director for the Willed Body Program here several years ago was caught selling cadaver body parts (fingernails/toenails) to a pharmaceutical company for personal profit. He also managed to let the cremated remains of people to get mixed up and a lot of families sued if I remember correctly.

Our lab is on the 3rd (top) floor of a 120y/o building, and has jarred specimens from the 20's, 30's, 40's...like whole heads and fetuses with NTDs, etc....very Frankensteiny.

Our lab is on the 3rd (top) floor of a 120y/o building, and has jarred specimens from the 20's, 30's, 40's...like whole heads and fetuses with NTDs, etc....very Frankensteiny.

haha I remember seeing those... crazy.

We have a drawer in our lab that is full of watches from the cadavers.

Our prof said that they receive bodies year round and basically will come straight to our morgue from wherever they died; thus if the family didn't want the personal belongings on the body, the profs started collecting it in a drawer.