"Gross" anatomy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We started anatomy lab today! Gross! :eek:

...but EXTREMELY cool. It's like now, after all the orientation and the white coat ceremony, we're finally REAL dental students. Awesome! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the club

Congrats,
Didnt you have to take anatomy in undergrad too? Well I guess know its a few people on a cadaver instead of a whole class, ad you gotta do stuff instead of the TA

Members don't see this ad :)
scandalous,

Of course I had to do anatomy in undergrad, but we certainly didn't get human cadavers. We just dissected the usual assortment of rats/cats/etc.

I wasn't aware any colleges did human cadavers in undergrad; where'd you go?

Aphistis, where on earth have u been in the last 10 yrs?

I went to UCD, and undergrad students there take anatomy in the med school. They have a good number of cadavers for students.

Even the CA state university system has cadavers for students. It's real tough because they have prof from local med school out to teach. A good way to prep anatomy for prof. schools.

Lots of schools have good, real anatomy labs. One thing to note when shopping for undergrad school.

At BYU we had excellent anatomy labs. One of the best undergrad courses at BYU is the course that picks up the bodies from the donators, and then preps them for the anatomy students. Very cool!

scandalouslj,
don't feel bad. we didn't have cadavers either. i think it just depends on the school/state.

good luck

About two years ago at Univ. of CA, Irvine, there was a HUGE scandal involving human cadavers. UCI med school buy cadavers from an official "supplier" in Arizona and they deliver them to the med school. The guy who is in charge of receiving was reselling these cadavers to god knows who, freaks and cannibalists or devil worshippers. In anycase, he was selling them and exchanging them for money in the back of a van in a parking lot near the school, in a business area near an In and Out Burger joint.

When it was found out, one of his accomplice fled to Europe or Middle East. I dont know where the other guy is. But the family members of those that donated their bodies have been suing the University and the case hasn't been settled yet. About two months ago another article appeared in the UCI newspaper, stating that these families are pushing to file even more lawsuits as the Univ. is taking too long to settle, or not paying enough, etc.

So........freaky.... but a true story!

And another time UCI Med school was sued because one of the doctors was selling frozen embryos without the consent of the female patients... another lawsuit.....i am not sure if it has been settled...

Wow, OK, so apparently I really HAVE been completely out of the loop. :eek: Our anatomy class was just a comparative vertebrate class. We studied human, but didn't dissect it. Sorry, folks, I'll just crawl back to my hole now... :rolleyes:

Actually, there still aren't many undergrad schools that teach human gross anatomy to the undergrads. Last time I checked, there were only 10-12 in the country.

that is what i was thinking too. better note that next time i'm "shopping" for an undergrad school.

Wow we were doing those in high school bio. I went to IU in bloomington, and I know most of the other IU branches also use cadavers. And this is in the most basic 200 level class, there were a lot higher classes you could take after that such as gross and many more.

Originally posted by thistle
Actually, there still aren't many undergrad schools that teach human gross anatomy to the undergrads. Last time I checked, there were only 10-12 in the country.

I'm not sure if that number is correct. It may be true that the schools who teach human gross anatomy are far fewer in number, but when you look at the fact that there are over 600 undergrad institutions in the US, 10-12 seems very low.

http://ogb.wfu.edu/issue/2002/02.07/news/n.cadavers.anatomy.lab.asp

When I said i thought there were 10-12 undergrad schools that teach human gross anatomy, I was thinking back to an article that was in my college's newspaper. I posted the link above. According to it, there are only 5 undergrad schools in the US that teach human anatomy. This article was published in Feb. of 2002.

ok, I know I didn't go to an american school for undergrad... we got to work with pre-dissected limbs left over by the med students, and also with preserved/waxed specimens. This doesn't count as "first-hand experience" right? Not getting to cut could be considered a bummer, but I didn't feel like I missed out much, even after I did a cadaver course in first year dents.

I don't believe that number. I know for a fact that I see with my eyes 5 schools in northern CA I have visited teach real anatomy with real cadavers.

1. UC DAVIS.
2. UC BERKELEY
3. SF STATE UNIVERSITY.

And at community colleges:

1. SF city college.
2. Contra Costa College in San Pablo, CA (this is a tiny little college in a tiny town about 15miles off Berkeley)

I am certain that all UC and state universities in CA have anatomy classes. Check out the catalog.

That is one class that I am not looking forward too.... I see dead people. Blah.

Let me add my undergraduate college:

La Sierra University (private in Southern California)

I took Gross Anatomy in 1999 and we had 2 cadavers. One male and female. Unless only California schools does it, I have to agree that 10-12 is quite low and hard to believe.