• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Ground State Resonance Structure

UBDent19

10+ Year Member
Army
Apr 2, 2010
Southeast
  1. Dentist
    A sample DAT question asked how many ground-state resonance structures there are for NO3-. I can draw 4 structures, but the correct answer listed is 3. Why is the structure in red not valid? It still has an overall charge of -1. All resonance structures do not have to be equal energy. What do they mean by ground-state resonance structures? I can't even find the concept in my chemistry textbook.

Attachments

• SCAN0001.JPG
      SCAN0001.JPG
      18 KB · Views: 174

UBDent19

10+ Year Member
    Army
    Apr 2, 2010
    Southeast
    1. Dentist
      Yes, but I've never heard of different resonance structures characterized as being in the ground state.

The question is on the sample DAT test of ADA's website. I was always taught that each valid resonance structure contributes to the true state of the molecule and the most stable forms contribute the most.

My confusion was: how would I know that the structure in red is an "non-ground state" compared to being simply the resonance structure with the highest energy, necessitating that I not include it in my answer.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.