Ground Zero--First FL MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottj72

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently began to entertain the thought of finally giving medical school a shot. I have been teaching high school the last 3 years. I realize the MCAT is going to be the deciding factor to have a shot, so I was a little hesitant to take a practice test. However, I decided to give it a go and took the free AAMC CBT3 today. I have seen around that it is on the easy side, but I was still pleasently surprised. 29 (PS 11 VR 10 BS 8)
It has been over 10 years since I completed my undergrad. Funny thing is my degree was in Biology. I think teaching Chemistry and Physical Science the last few years has really turned it into a strength. I am positive I can bring up that BS score. Still working on a plan of attack to be the best applicant i can in 2008.

Members don't see this ad.

Great work on that pratice test! I am sure you can pull bio up at least 3 points because it is mostly memorization and recall crap. The hardest score to pull up is verbal, which you seem just fine at. This leaves you 30+ which is competetive for applicants.

I would say you need to sign up for the mcat ASAP because most of the spots are already full. Otherwise, take a few more tests and tackle the beast!

29 on first FL is a great score. I think it will improve on the real one. I took my first FL as well and I got 26 (PS 10, V 8, BS 8). I am following Examkracker homestudy schedule. So, I am hoping after I am done reviewing and doing other practice problems..I would be able to pull my score a little higher.

Best wishes.
S.

I recently began to entertain the thought of finally giving medical school a shot. I have been teaching high school the last 3 years. I realize the MCAT is going to be the deciding factor to have a shot, so I was a little hesitant to take a practice test. However, I decided to give it a go and took the free AAMC CBT3 today. I have seen around that it is on the easy side, but I was still pleasently surprised. 29 (PS 11 VR 10 BS 8)
It has been over 10 years since I completed my undergrad. Funny thing is my degree was in Biology. I think teaching Chemistry and Physical Science the last few years has really turned it into a strength. I am positive I can bring up that BS score. Still working on a plan of attack to be the best applicant i can in 2008.

i'm also a non trad and currently teaching hs math. my degree is phys ed and my first practice test scores were ps 5,ver 7, bs 4 so I'm not excited at all about the may test. The test was test #1 kaplan new mcat on the cd. I was told not to be to concerned as their tests are kind of a scare factor, but I cannot help but be a bit concerned. If I scored as high as the first poster I would be looking for houses and making arrangements for a year from now.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am uncertain when I will take the MCAT. August or Sept this year? Wait for Jan or April next year. I do not plan on applying until 2008. I am working on a few different plans right now. Best case is that I start a MS program this fall in Molecular Biology and Physiology at a state university. Hopefully I get a research position at the same school or another possibility is a research positon at another large private school. If not then I will probably be stuck still teaching and taking 2 classes at night. I am also trying to contact DO's in my area to shadow this summer.