Mace1370

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So I know that Group B strep is the most common cause of meningitis in babies/neonates. However, I'm a little confused about the age cut off for this. When is a patient no longer a baby? 3 years? 4?

I just want to know at what age to no longer answer Group B strep as the most common form of meningitis.

knuckles

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I know that Group B strep is the most common cause of meningitis in babies/neonates. However, I'm a little confused about the age cut off for this. When is a patient no longer a baby? 3 years? 4?

I just want to know at what age to no longer answer Group B strep as the most common form of meningitis.
It's a risk when a mother's vaginal flora is GBS positive, allowing for transvaginal innoculation during delivery. After birth, I think it's a less likely to be the cause.

Miss July

PA-S
Jul 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
Per Access Medicine/Jawetz, Melnick, & Adelberg's Medical Microbiology:

Last edited:
About the Ads

Mace1370

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks for both of your replies. This is interesting, since I had a USMLERx question asking what the most likely cause of a 2 year old's meningitis.

Group B strep was the answer according to USMLERx, but I thought by that age it was possibly something else (H. infuenzae, s. pneumo, or n. meningitidis).

Edit: nevermind, I'm a complete ******. Question asked about a 2 day old year, not a 2 year old. This is what I get for not sleeping enough -_-

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads