Mace1370

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
So I know that Group B strep is the most common cause of meningitis in babies/neonates. However, I'm a little confused about the age cut off for this. When is a patient no longer a baby? 3 years? 4?

I just want to know at what age to no longer answer Group B strep as the most common form of meningitis.

knuckles

7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2009
Status
Medical Student
So I know that Group B strep is the most common cause of meningitis in babies/neonates. However, I'm a little confused about the age cut off for this. When is a patient no longer a baby? 3 years? 4?

I just want to know at what age to no longer answer Group B strep as the most common form of meningitis.
It's a risk when a mother's vaginal flora is GBS positive, allowing for transvaginal innoculation during delivery. After birth, I think it's a less likely to be the cause.

Miss July

PA-S
Jul 28, 2010
Status
Per Access Medicine/Jawetz, Melnick, & Adelberg's Medical Microbiology:

Last edited:
OP
Mace1370

Mace1370

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for both of your replies. This is interesting, since I had a USMLERx question asking what the most likely cause of a 2 year old's meningitis.

Group B strep was the answer according to USMLERx, but I thought by that age it was possibly something else (H. infuenzae, s. pneumo, or n. meningitidis).

Edit: nevermind, I'm a complete ******. Question asked about a 2 day old year, not a 2 year old. This is what I get for not sleeping enough -_-

Last edited: