Group Exposure Therapy via Telehealth...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meteora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
...just ain't the same. I'm concerned about developing exposures for a transdiagnostic anxiety group and realize it will require a little bit of creativity depending on the specific worry/intrusive thought. Anyone have any tips/suggestions or has done exposure through telehealth?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you specifically speaking of exposure through telehealth for group therapy? No, group therapy telehealth during our Global Pandemic is not the same, but still doable. What is your normal procedure for exposure during group? I'm thinking you can 'share your screen' when offering anxiety provoking-stimuli, and proceed as you do a normal group (i.e., allow everyone time to offer their perspectives). What always helps for me (when conducting group therapies) is to always be very explicit about the group rules, at the start of the group (which can be made and agreed upon by group members). If there's no cross-talking & everyone keeps it on the "I" (i.e., does not 'pontificate' to other group members, but offer constructive feedback or good modeling), then HIPAA compliant Zoom groups still flow well (per feedback from participants).

Hope this helps. :luck:

I have, but only for individuals. Most of my specific work was PE, so it was imaginal and then we had to get creative about outside in vivo homework. I did have one specific phobia case where we did exposure in session and we just tried to find ways to simulate the feared situation inside the patient's house.

Last edited: