(Group) Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noah333

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we applicants wait to hear whether or not we got any interviews, I thought I would solicit advice concerning the interview process from those on the other side.

I am particularly interested to hear about the group interview experience from those in PsyD programs. Are these done mainly for administrative convenience or is there something more sinister at work? :smuggrin:

I also applied to several PhD programs - do these tend to be one-on-one interviews with each current students and faculty?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I only applied to PhD programs so can't speak to PsyD programs. Most interviews are one-on-one, a series of interviews with faculty members and students. The student interviews tend to be low-key (but don't dismiss them, they still evaluate you), they want to put you at ease and they are good resources for what the programs are *really* like. Just remember that everyone is trying to put their best foot forward.

Most questions I received involved my research interests, with whom I wanted to work, and what I wanted to do with my career after graduate school, so definitely be prepared to expound on these topics. People also were interested in the research I had already done, so definitely be prepared to talk about your current work and any research in your past that is disclosed on your application. I found most of the interviews to be fairly pleasant - after all, they are interested in you enough to invite you in for an interview, they are very selective about who gets interviewed, and my sense of who gets an offer is that it is primarily driven by which professors are allotted students that year - this is not always decided before interviews

By the way, just a word of advice - wear a suit; almost everyone does, even though most professors and students with whom you will interview will be dressed more casually. You'll be more comfortable not standing out in this way - dazzle 'em with your smarts instead.