growing up in a different country = diversity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bumbl3b33

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was born in a south east asian country and lived there for the first 8 yeras of my life. we still go back, the language i grew up with is my first language...so, i guess my question is---for the secondaries that ask for how you contribute you diversity...would this be a valid thing to talk about? I'm curious because south east asians are ORM's in medicine and not sure if this would follow the mainstream definition of 'diversity'.

before anyone else gets to it:
"Now this is a simple acronym: H.E.R.O. At Diversity, we believe it's very easy to be a hero. All you need are: Honesty, Empathy, Respect, and Open-mindedness."

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I think this would be important to bring up in an essay about diversity. This is exactly what they are looking for...just dont mistake it for disadvantage (unless you were really poor).

Yes, I think this would be important to bring up in an essay about diversity. This is exactly what they are looking for...just dont mistake it for disadvantage (unless you were really poor).

Haha, I was, actually...most of my baby 'pictures' all i have on is a cloth diapers

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I was born in a south east asian country and lived there for the first 8 yeras of my life. we still go back, the language i grew up with is my first language...so, i guess my question is---for the secondaries that ask for how you contribute you diversity...would this be a valid thing to talk about? I'm curious because south east asians are ORM's in medicine and not sure if this would follow the mainstream definition of 'diversity'.

before anyone else gets to it:
"Now this is a simple acronym: H.E.R.O. At Diversity, we believe it's very easy to be a hero. All you need are: Honesty, Empathy, Respect, and Open-mindedness."

Hi, I was born in a southeast asian country too and it was what I wrote about for the diversity essay. Since I grew up there until I was 14, I mentioned how the culture influenced who I am today and how I can contribute that to the student body. And of course the language, too. There are a lot to talk about, especially since you still go back, how life over there can help you view things a certain way.

Yeah. I lived in three South American countries and I'll definitely mention my experience in my diversity essay.

You can certainly talk about how growing up partly in a foreign country shaped who you are and how you think you can add to diversity in medical school. However, you can expect that many fellow applicants will have similar stories to tell, so make sure to focus on specific examples and give concrete explanation of how it affected you.

Don't expect adcoms to favor you because you spent first 8 years in SE Asia. My medical school class is teeming with 1.5 generation Asian immigrants. You won't contribute much to diversity in the eyes of the adcoms. In their eyes, diversity = black, hispanic, or native american.