growth hormone 1001 series

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizza1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH) stimulates the transcription of the growth hormone gene and is released from which of the following locations?

a) the kidneys

b) the hypothalmus

c) the anterior pitutary

d) the parathyroid

i thought answer was c)???? im confused

Members don't see this ad.

I think the question was stupidly worded. I am guessing the answer choice was B, right. The question was asking for where GHRH was released. Yeah I would have thought C too.

GHRH is released in the hypothalamus, like other hormones that regulate the anterior pituitary (TRH, dopamine, GnRH, etc.). GHRH is completely separate from GH (growth hormone).

GH is released in the anterior pituitary.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's wrong with the wording? Must be B

GHRH is release from the hypothalamus and travels via the hypothalamic hypophyseal portal system (double capillary bed) to the anterior pituitary. This causes the release of growth hormone from the anterior pituitary. Remember, all of the anterior pituitary hormones are under control of the hypothalamus via releasing hormones. For example, thyrotropin releasing hormone causes the anterior pituitary to release TSH. Or GnRH which causes the anterior pituitary to release LH and FSH.

GHRH is release from the hypothalamus and travels via the hypothalamic hypophyseal portal system (double capillary bed) to the anterior pituitary. This causes the release of growth hormone from the anterior pituitary. Remember, all of the anterior pituitary hormones are under control of the hypothalamus via releasing hormones. For example, thyrotropin releasing hormone causes the anterior pituitary to release TSH. Or GnRH which causes the anterior pituitary to release LH and FSH.

This schematic should help. Note that the purple is the hypothalamic neurons that release the "releasing hormones" into the hypothalamic hypophyseal portal system (double capillary bed) which then travels to the anterior pituitary, which is in orange and diffuses out of the capillaries to stimulate the release of the hormones from the anterior pituitary (orange). The anterior pituitary than releases the tropic/trophic hormones to the effector organs in red/salmon color:

2rLK790.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Right, so the wording is fine. Because the question is asking where GHRH is released from, and the answer is hypothalamus

GHRH is released in the hypothalamus, like other hormones that regulate the anterior pituitary (TRH, dopamine, GnRH, etc.). GHRH is completely separate from GH (growth hormone).

GH is released in the anterior pituitary.

yeah thanks I didnt know GHRH is different from GH....damn it. thanks :)