Grrr....do they really not want me!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LibbyJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum area, but I feel so down! I know I am not the only one though, 10 schools, 1 interview, NO contact from anyone else!!!

My question is about reapplying next year - let's say I add ECs and I now have a FT job....can i use the same essays etc?

Also, anyone else in my situation are starting to get down!?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

10 schools, 1 interview, NO contact from anyone else!!!

My question is about reapplying next year - let's say I add ECs and I now have a FT job....can i use the same essays etc?
From past threads, I'd hope that you already have a solid plan for moving forward. Since you had only a year of clinical experience, are you still gaining more? Did you ever find a research opportunity? If not, it will soon be time to apply for summer research programs held at bigger universities. An MCAT retake is another possibility. Engage in nonmedical community service on a weekly or bimonthly basis. And of course, plan to reapply in early June to a broader list of schools.

For reapplication, the essays shouldn't look the same, but that doesn't mean they need to be completely rewritten. Redo the first paragraph for sure, tweak the rest, tighten them up, change a few as necessary to reflect the 9 months of activity since you last submitted.

And don't give up hope for this cycle. With a later application, it takes awhile for them to get to your part of the pile. Update letters can still be helpful. And the best part of having a solid backup plan, is that you're less likely to need to use it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain what an update letter is (how to send, how to format, etc). I have seen people talk about this, but I am not sure how to approach it.

Right now I have a FT job at a nutrition place, so I am learning more about nutrition and will be taking courses through my company. I have an interview to volunteer at Methodist Hospital, and hope to (once my work schedule is regular) add in more shadowing hours locally. If by Jan 1 I have nothing, I was going to look into summer programs, or even a masters in medical science at TCOM.

Can you explain what an update letter is (how to send, how to format, etc). I have seen people talk about this, but I am not sure how to approach it.

Right now I have a FT job at a nutrition place, so I am learning more about nutrition and will be taking courses through my company. I have an interview to volunteer at Methodist Hospital, and hope to (once my work schedule is regular) add in more shadowing hours locally. If by Jan 1 I have nothing, I was going to look into summer programs, or even a masters in medical science at TCOM.

LibbyJ, I know how you feel. I've only had 2 interviews and I've been complete for a way longer period of time than you. Wish I could put my finger on exactly what the problems are, but alas... there are probably too many. :laugh: Remember... all it takes is one interview to lead to that one acceptance. Let's hear back from the schools first! I have a feeling you might be pleasantly surprised! :luck:

Can you explain what an update letter is (how to send, how to format, etc).
Update Letter format, I suggest something like this:
Should not exceed one page. I would address it to the Admissions Committee. I feel a snail-mail letter is more formal, and thus preferred, but either will do the job. Don't do a simultaneous e-mail.

(If appropriate, start with expressing appreciation for the honor of your recent interview.)

Say you want them to be aware of updates pertinent to your application in case it may help them make a decision on your file:
a. You might give your fall/spring GPA depending on the time of year, perhaps mentioning some classes relevant to med school.
b. Tell them any newly begun activities and any ongoing activity since you submitted (only the important stuff), like your job.

You might close with why their school is perfect for you, trying to mesh with the school's mission statement. Say you look forward to hearing from them in the future regarding interview or acceptance as appropriate.

Then sign your name.

(I love your kitten avatar, BTW.)

That is my cat Syndas, my baby ;) haha!

Thanks for the help!! :) Much appreciated!!!

Also this may be dumb but what is snail mail vs email? Thanks..

Also this may be dumb but what is snail mail vs email? Thanks..

Snail mail is an actual physical letter, you know, in a sealed envelope, with a stamp. It's like the stuff that appears in the mailbox, but here you're sending it yourself! ;)

Never ever ever re-use essays. If you are reapplying they will definitely skim over your old essays and that's a huge "not enough effort" strike against you.

It sucks because there are only so many ways to say why you want to be a doctor, but it helps to mention the NEW things you've been doing and how they've taught and/or inspired you.

And yes, I am feeling pretty discouraged myself... it's my second app, the admissions director at one school recommended that I take 32 hours worth of graduate chem/bio courses, and I'm listening to him even though the prevailing opinion on here is that this is a bad idea. I have 24 hours of 4.0 semesters and I'm pretty sure I am finishing 9 more (6 hours of which are freakin' physical chemistry classes!), along with 8 hours a week of great clinical experience as a nurse/pharmacist/PA/whatever needs doing at a free clinic for the homeless.

But... no interview yet. I applied to a few other places but I don't really expect to get in; I have a 32 MCAT (well above average for my target school), 3.3 science GPA, but 2.85 overall due to some bad semesters as an engineering major at a top five tech school. So, I pretty much have all my eggs in one basket.

I still have plenty of time for this cycle, especially given that this is a notoriously slow-moving med school, but it's a very bad helpless feeling to be working harder than ever (and finally being at the top of my classes) knowing that the only recognition I'm gonna get is if/when I finally get accepted, and I really can't control that.

Then again... it beats busing tables. :rolleyes:

Probably not advisable, but I reused essays on two secondaries and got intervieww invites. The only real difference between last year and this year for me was applying in June instead of October. Both were at schools with 10000+ applicants, so I doubt they have the time to look over my last years essays...

Update Letter format, I suggest something like this:
Should not exceed one page. I would address it to the Admissions Committee. I feel a snail-mail letter is more formal, and thus preferred, but either will do the job. Don't do a simultaneous e-mail.

(If appropriate, start with expressing appreciation for the honor of your recent interview.)

Say you want them to be aware of updates pertinent to your application in case it may help them make a decision on your file:
a. You might give your fall/spring GPA depending on the time of year, perhaps mentioning some classes relevant to med school.
b. Tell them any newly begun activities and any ongoing activity since you submitted (only the important stuff), like your job.

You might close with why their school is perfect for you, trying to mesh with the school's mission statement. Say you look forward to hearing from them in the future regarding interview or acceptance as appropriate.

Then sign your name.

(I love your kitten avatar, BTW.)

Sorry to change topics on the OP, but CAT do you ever recommend sending letters of interest without providing updates? I.e. you sent an update before the interview (after hte invite) and ended up on the waitlist.

Sorry to change topics on the OP, but CAT do you ever recommend sending letters of interest without providing updates? I.e. you sent an update before the interview (after hte invite) and ended up on the waitlist.
It's fine to do that, but be sure to give reasons WHY you are interested.